#1 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I haven't been on here in forever as many of you all know I work road construction and it's "Blacktop Season" but I haven't lost the bug and haven't forgotten about the site. I found a guy who has a Massey Ferguson 1010 4wd diesel with front end loader for sale I think priced pretty reasonable. I have drove past it every day for a few years and didn't know what it was the other day until I stopped. I thought it was a Massey/Snapper 1855 or similiar. But as I got closer I could tell it was something different. And was like wow that is a tractor. It has everything a big tractor would have but it is a little smaller. It has 3 cylinder diesel, FEL, 3 point, 540 PTO, 60" deck, and ROPs with canopy. I have never saw any threads on here about them and was wondering if anybody knows anything about them. I am guessing that it bigger than your normal GT's. I would like to know the good and the bad. If anybody has one or have ever had one.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:52 PM

But Josh, you saw my 1010! Mine is stick shift. Engine is made by TOYOSHA, no, not Toyota. But it's a good solid engine, and very dependable. I know nothing about the 4WD version. The hydrostatic is the handiest, as when using a rear pto, say like a finish mower, anytime you press the clutch the power to the mower is gone. OK when in open areas, but in tight spots where reversing, it's a hassle. Mine has the 60" belly deck, ran off front engine PTO, so transmission type isn't an issue, except that 2nd/Hi is a tad slow, and 3rd/Hi is road gear & no way usable for mowing. Hydro is far superior in my opinion. One thing to be cautious about with a FEL.....do not go nuts with the weight of loads lifted with it. The transmission case is aluminum & some have been known to break in half when abused. Used appropriately & it's not a problem.
If yours is hydro, then likely the belly deck is shaft drive mid PTO instead of front PTO belt mule drive like mine. Shaft drive again is a big plus. That long mule drive belt runs $120! BTW...the decks mow very nice, and the spindle bearings are common size trailer axle tapered bearings. Rebuilt my deck & got the bearings & seals from bearing supply. Great tractors and I love mine!

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:52 PM

BTW....how's the Case 446 doing?

#4 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:45 PM

But Josh, you saw my 1010!

I don't remember paying that much attention to it you have like 10 or 12 masseys!!!!!! I guess at the time I really didn't know the difference. LOL That stinks that they don't have a live pto.
I would love to get it. The loads for the front end loader would be like some creek gravel from the creek and manure for the garden and mulch for the landscaping nothing major but would save a lot of shoveling!!!

Edited by JoshBrown, May 23, 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#5 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 03:54 PM

BTW....how's the Case 446 doing?

The Case is doing good. After I replaced the drive motor it pulls like a champ. It still runs really good. I redone the deck and fixed some holes and rough spots and went through bearings and got it in good mowing shape but honestly I don't mow with it. It is too much of a pain to take the deck on and off when I need the tractor for the garden. But it will make a great just in case mower. I really like it though. It is a great little tractor. I use it to plow,use the tiller and used it to lay off the garden. I am still super happy with the deal great tractor. I think I would like to find a massey or maybe buy the 1010 though. I want something with a mechanical 540 PTO. I think I would use it more. I am going to keep my eyes open for one. The 1010 would be awesome but don't really know if I can justify the price they are asking. You should sell me one of your 1855's.:yelclap:

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Only have the one 55 series, & you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands! Glad the 446 is doing good. I am also very glad the spare hydraulic motor did the trick.
I figure they're asking 4 to 5 grand for the 1010? With the FEL, I'd say it is worth it & more! Hey, the same guy you bought the 446 from now wants to sell the Case 224 with the 48" mower deck. Up & running, ready to go. Not sure what he wants, but I think around $650.

#7 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:08 PM

The 1010 is a fine tractor. A 4 wheel drive with a FEL they would sell for 5+ K in upstate NY. The old-time Massey dealer up here believes the 1010 is the only reason someone would have for getting rid of a 50 year old MF35 Diesel.

#8 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 06:30 PM

Only have the one 55 series, & you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands! Glad the 446 is doing good. I am also very glad the spare hydraulic motor did the trick.
I figure they're asking 4 to 5 grand for the 1010? With the FEL, I'd say it is worth it & more! Hey, the same guy you bought the 446 from now wants to sell the Case 224 with the 48" mower deck. Up & running, ready to go. Not sure what he wants, but I think around $650.

If I hear of anyone wanting one I will let them know about it. I would like to have a 60" deck for mine if you know of anyone who has one? I also wouldn't mind to have to alter another brand deck to make it work. I would probably use it more if I had a larger deck.

#9 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 06:32 PM

The 1010 is a fine tractor. A 4 wheel drive with a FEL they would sell for 5+ K in upstate NY. The old-time Massey dealer up here believes the 1010 is the only reason someone would have for getting rid of a 50 year old MF35 Diesel.

The guy I know has it priced pretty reasonable then. I might have to try and pick it up if I can save a little more and probably have to sell my case to get it. lol