• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 11:07 AM

I will be running 100 amp service from the house to my shop. The house run is around 52' across the ceiling through the wall down to the ground then under ground about 73'  then up the garage wall & into a 100 amp sub panel. I have googled this & talked with friends with a lot of options. My thoughts are since I have plenty of plastic conduit just running 2-2-2-4 aluminum URD Dyke from box to box all inside conduit. I'm familiar with the many options splicing from sheathed to burial because of codes against burial inside the house & not running sheathed inside of conduit. I can get the 2-2-2-4 URD Dyke for around $1.22 ft & since I have plenty of conduit I think this would be my best option.  I would like to start digging soon. I have most of the wiring done inside the shop. Please any suggestions before I buy the wire & thanks!

I have a 110 line already under ground but need 220 for compressor & welder. My thoughts were to eliminate this 110 line because some hack ran a 14 gauge wire inside of a 1/2" conduit totally not thinking that day.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Here in Iowa you can wire your garage, but you have to have the state electrical inspector inspect it.

Cost me around $75 to have it done.

He told me that it is a $500 fine, if I did not have it inspected.

He made me put a ground fault outlet on the first outlet on each circuit for the outlets.

He also made me put in two ground rods.  The first can be around 18" from the garage and the second one has to be more than 6' away from the garage.

Edited by lyall, September 02, 2016 - 08:14 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 10:24 PM

External feeds from one building to another fall under different rules depending on the codes in your area.  Call your power co. rep and ask what the rules are as to ground rods and bonding/ grounding requirements.  Do it right the 1st time.  JMO

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I understand the ground rod & bonding requirements. I just wanted thoughts on my choice of wire. Thanks for helping.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 01:35 AM

I understand the ground rod & bonding requirements. I just wanted thoughts on my choice of wire. Thanks for helping.

As long as you aren't pulling upwards of 75A the 2 wire will be fine.  If you put a lot on either leg you will get a voltage drop..  How much depends on the draw and wire size & run length..  Gotta get out the calculator..

Be sure to use 'no-corrode' on all your connections with the aluminum wire..  Just sayin..  

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks