• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:24 PM

O.k. Here is the tractor in question. From all the info i can find on this site and other places I have come to the conclusion that it is the 20 amp system with the stator and coil assembly under the flywheel. The flywheel has 2 pins in it. 5 years ago I had the engine rebuilt with a new sleeve, piston, rings, gaskets, etc and switched from a starter/generator to a regular starter. We did not change the charging system, so therefore i now have to charge the battery every now and then. The problem still remains that I have no fire . The gap is set to .010 between the ignition unit and the long pin. Using a test light I get power at all points on the kill wire and also to the lead that connects to the ignition unit from the coil. I took the end of the plug wire and held it to the plug and nothing.I'm lost now and think it has to be the unit. Or could it be the flywheel ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 103_1225.jpg
  • 103_1227.jpg
  • 103_1228.jpg
  • 103_1206.jpg

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,720 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Wow, you may have stumped us LOL.

Next thing I would try is disconnecting the crimp connector at the CDI, taking the spade terminal off, and cleaning around the last nut. Make sure there isn't any way for it to ground out. Then clean the connector, spade terminal, etc well and reassemble. Look at the crimp connector & verify it's not poorly connected.

You might make sure the CDI is making good connection with the block. No grease, corrosion, etc.

Edited by MH81, May 26, 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#18 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 2,095 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 09:00 AM

I don't know if any of this info will help you, Trent, but it may help someone else.

Have you looked at the Tecumseh Repair Manual for the HH100 & HH120 which is posted in the manuals section? ...Chapter 8 covers the ignition. .....There is also a chapter on the different charging systems.

This link: Engines&Magnets has some excellent info on the Tecumseh Solid-State Ignitions.

This link: Home offers an alternative to the obsolete Tecumseh parts.

The following 3 links offer information on the repair/modification/conversion of Tecumseh parts to readily available components:

Welding Equipment Repair, Welder Replacement Parts | Pinehurst, TX

Forget the last post, Its Alive!! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, May 26, 2011 - 09:02 AM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, caseguy and 1 other said thanks

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 10:11 AM

As said above make sure your CDI is getting a good ground. Check the block to CDI for good contact and the block to the battery - terminal. I'm not sure how the Bolens is setup but if the engine uses rubber mounts there has to be a separate connection from the block to the frame or to the battery- directly.