• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:22 AM

My G10 was recently working better than it has in years. I took the deck off to clean it up, and a few days later fired up the tractor and moved it closer to the barn. Now yesterday I went out to move it again and I have no fire in the HH120. Tried a different plug and nothing. Can the coil go that fast? Is there anything else I can check? No big complicated talk though please as I'm still learning the basics. Thanks for any help.

#2 TeamJA OFFLINE  

TeamJA

• Member No: 659
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 12:06 PM

maybe the battery is low on juice...maybe jump it!

#3 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:19 PM

No that is not it. She is all charged up. Thanks though

#4 dragonx OFFLINE  

dragonx

• Member No: 3529
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:05 PM

one time my bolens qs16 .. buyed a new coil then no fire but found a unplug wire line to the switch key

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Make sure there are no loose or broken wires....
Hopefully someone more familiar with the Tecumseh engines will be able to offer you some better troubleshooting advice.

#6 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:07 PM

did it click? i remember my ignition switch went on my h14 over night. i turned the key and dead silence

#7 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:45 PM

How do you know you have no spark,did you check the coil with a test light spark tester or a grounded spark plug? Did you make sure the motor is getting fuel? Give us a little more information.
Good luck

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Is this the 12 Hp techumseh without points, right? If so, disconnect the wires attached to the shroud usually found on the front of the engine. The one goes up to the ignition switch, the other goes back into the pickup. There are several sites that try to describe the process for testing this wire, the best was Ed Stoller referring to it as the "Tickle Test". While touching the end of the wire, with your index and thumb, put your pinky on ground. Then have someone turn it over. You should feel a slight tingle not unlike when you check a 9 volt with your tongue.

This will tell you the pickup under the flywheel is working or not. If it's working, hook everything up but the kill wire that goes up to the switch. If it starts or you have good, consistent spark, you have a bad switch, if not, remove the cover off the engine and verify that the wire is connected well to the CDI, no corrosion.

BTW, if it starts, you will have to ground out the wire on the shroud to shut it down.

Let us know what you find to this point. And good luck.
  • caseguy, Alc, Nascar3244888 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Trent Thomson ONLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 06:48 AM

I can't find any loose or broken wires. It is turning over fast but when I pull the plug out and connect the plug wire I get no spark with plug touchimg the head. I will try the tickle test if and when the rain stops. Thanks guys

#10 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Maybe check if you are getting voltage through the points. If it sites outside, things happen. Especially with wires.

Good luck!

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Maybe check if you are getting voltage through the points. If it sites outside, things happen. Especially with wires.

Good luck!

Did they put a points style 12 in these? I thought they were all electronic ign.

#12 Trent Thomson ONLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 02:12 PM

O.K. so doing the tickle test works. I get a good buzz off that. There is power on the wire coming out from under the flywheel. I guess I will go get a new plug and try that!

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Next three things I'd check.
1) replace the plug
2) verify the end of the plug wire is OK and in the wire correctly.
3) take the cover off the engine, check for good connection on the wire going to the CDI pack.

Good luck!

#14 Trent Thomson ONLINE  

Trent Thomson

• 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:47 PM

A new plug in it now and nothing! I cleaned up the connection coming from under the flywheel to the magneto above it. Test light shows power there. As far as the plug wire goes all I can say is it" looks" good and i can't visibly see anything wrong. Am i right in saying the magneto IS the same thing as the CDI pack and an Ignition unit? This unit was replaced two months ago with a used one because the last one went on me. What can be causing this? could it be as simple as a key switch or am I dreaming?

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 10:30 PM

CDI vs Magneto, the CDI is an early version of electronic ignition.

Theres one or two more things I'd try before saying you have a bad CDI, but We need pics of the CDI without the engine cover to make sure. Don't pull the flywheel, just a decent pic of the unit that bolts above the flywheel and please mention if there are 2 pins sticking out of the side of the flywheel. They are about 3/16 diameter and are different lengths.