• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#31 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:32 PM

I read in the papers the other day that a neighbourhood in New Zealand complained that two cars were parked the wrong way in a residential area. Also the same suburb left two anonymous notes on people cars parked on the drive stating that their cars were letting the neighbourhood down as they were too old and did not reflect the status of that part of town.

I cannot abide snobbery nor pettiness.

The snobbery and pettiness is a sympton of a small person. I grew up in a very wealthy town with wealthy and famous neighbors. The funny thing was that the most famous(Americas' first Ace in WWI) drove a Model A Ford until the early 70s. Another pilot(flew Gooney Birds on the aluminum highway and made the cover of Newsweek twice) drove old Bentleys and Bugattis unrestored. The only comments were complimentary.

Later, as the town changed to the newly rich, there grew alot of snobbery and backstabbing. A few of these types got into our neighborhood but they usually got transferred soon. These veterans did not allow and would not tolerate such B.S.  Now its all the petty people and not as nice a place to live. We can't go back but, we have to plan for our futures. Good Luck, Rick

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#32 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 307 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Boyscout, you might be right. What I am refering to though is the method of punishing everyone so they will turn on the perpetrator.

this is the hard part, do we become what we don't like (have to do something) we know we have to act against our grain, boyscout is right on many points, good neighbors are good to have to though, I quit waving at the problem people and quit helping backstabbers, I refuse to be a different person because they are petty, but yet I am different
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#33 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I only have one bad neighbor, but he is damn yankee. 

When you neighbors come and ask you do do something just tell them you now charger for everything because you lost money haveing to get rid of stuff. Eventually you will know who did it. 

• backwoods and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:37 PM

I live in an HOA neighborhood. It wasn't bad until the last board got elected. Now they are trying to turn it into a Nazi Neighborhood. Like you guys, I have fixed a lot of cars and mowers and things for no charge to people because that's what I was taught to do--help people.

Two years ago I extended the culvert under my driveway and started build a small retaining wall(less than 2 feet high) from native stone and back filled it to level out one section of my yard. My job at the time took me to South America for up to two weeks at a time. I once traveled for six weeks straight. Needless to say, it took a while to complete my wall. Somebody in the neighborhood complained to the DOT. I got a letter. Ignored it. Got a second letter. Ignored it. Got a third letter saying if they didn't hear from me they were tearing it down. I called the DOT and talked to a super nice engineer. Explained what I was doing and he said I know, we rode out and looked at it a few days ago because the guy was pitching such a fit. He said it looked great and that I had done a good job and were within the bounds of the law but I needed to complete a form and make a sketch for them and all would be good. I asked about the "anonymous complaintant" and he said don't worry we will ensure they are exceptionally aware that you are in the clear. The DOT seemed aggravated that they had to waste their time on the issue. Apparently when the complainer was straightened out by the DOT it pissed him off.

Last summer, thanks to a well timed campfire and strategically placed tequila shots, one of the neighbor's ratted out who made the DOT call. This guy is now one of the Neighborhood Nazis and I get letters on a regular basis about things in my driveway. The boys and I camp a few times a year, so the weekend before we go camping I pull the pop up around front, air it out and load it up. Within days I get a letter with a photo stating that I have thirty days to move it. Same thing if I put my big trailer up front on the weekend while working. The last letter I got on my trailer gave me thirty days. I moved it on Day 28. Without the letter it would have been moved in a day or two. Now I sometimes "forget" to move things back just to see how long it takes for the letter to show up. I know that's petty but I don't make the rules.

The thing is if these guys would actually talk to people they might learn a thing or two. Like hey we are going camping and the camper will be gone in a day or two. My favorites are the ones that complain about grass height. Maybe the homeowner has been or is sick. Maybe they've been out of town taking care of a relative. Maybe they are spending their time coaching youth sports and grass isn't the biggest item on the To Do list.

These a-holes went after the guy down the street because he had a lifted Cherokee with a flat tire in the driveway. They send the hate letter and it turns out the Cherokee belonged to his son who is in the Army--the Army that keeps us safe and free and enables HOA Nazis to be able to complain freely--stationed somewhere in a desert where the favorite past time is blowing up Americans in an attempt to get forty virgins in the next life. The flat hadn't been dealt with because the son was trying to make a keep or sell decision before spending money on new tires. It's just a hunch, but I suspect when you spend your waking hours trying to avoid getting shot or blown up by an IED, a flat jeep tire on the other side of the world probably doesn't make the priority list.

Now back to the fixing things for people. I have all but stopped doing that. Not because of the Nazis but because these same people that I bust my back, my rear and my knuckles for, drive right by me and never offer a helping hand. I've been on my back at midnight on a work night in the rain getting a guys truck together so he can get to work the next day. There's one guy in the neighborhood that I still help. He's good people and does things like mow my grass if I'm gone for several weeks and loans me his big Kubota with the PTO tiller to do my garden. I don't expect anything in return but every once a while it would be nice to be offered.

Sorry for the rant. It was a bad week. I traveled for work this week. I worked until 3 am Monday night/Tuesday morning and then checked into my hotel. Very nice hotel. Nice to the tune of 200+ a night. Before daylight somebody decided they wanted inside my truck and jacked the door handle. Now I have a truck to fix, closing some accounts and the other steps you have to take.

I'm done now.
  • Gtractor, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 7 others have said thanks

#35 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Godwin's law is alive & well in this thread for sure..  

Outrage is unavoidable upon hearing about this for sure..

Living your life next to others is tough.  It is a give and take situation living next to many people on this planet and unfortunately seeing eye-to-eye with everyone is near impossible..  Dealing with such negative aspects of living your life peacefully at home is stressful and creates a lot of stress and ill wills in the sanctuary of your home and overall quality of life.  If the dumb-ass complaining PO's you and turns you into somebody you really aren't, it just hurts everyone that you live with in your area.  The solution is not to alienate your neighbors whom you have good relations with..  Continue to 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'  Just consider the source and accept that the jerk is there but don't let him affect you and your way of life or it will consume you and everyone else you deal with in your 'hood'

Guess sleeping on this gave me a new outlook here..  Am I wrong?  What say you?

• JBRamsey and jimmy G have said thanks

#36 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the fresh reminder Tink!

#37 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I live in an HOA neighborhood. It wasn't bad until the last board got elected. Now they are trying to turn it into a Nazi Neighborhood. Like you guys, I have fixed a lot of cars and mowers and things for no charge to people because that's what I was taught to do--help people.

Two years ago I extended the culvert under my driveway and started build a small retaining wall(less than 2 feet high) from native stone and back filled it to level out one section of my yard. My job at the time took me to South America for up to two weeks at a time. I once traveled for six weeks straight. Needless to say, it took a while to complete my wall. Somebody in the neighborhood complained to the DOT. I got a letter. Ignored it. Got a second letter. Ignored it. Got a third letter saying if they didn't hear from me they were tearing it down. I called the DOT and talked to a super nice engineer. Explained what I was doing and he said I know, we rode out and looked at it a few days ago because the guy was pitching such a fit. He said it looked great and that I had done a good job and were within the bounds of the law but I needed to complete a form and make a sketch for them and all would be good. I asked about the "anonymous complaintant" and he said don't worry we will ensure they are exceptionally aware that you are in the clear. The DOT seemed aggravated that they had to waste their time on the issue. Apparently when the complainer was straightened out by the DOT it pissed him off.

Last summer, thanks to a well timed campfire and strategically placed tequila shots, one of the neighbor's ratted out who made the DOT call. This guy is now one of the Neighborhood Nazis and I get letters on a regular basis about things in my driveway. The boys and I camp a few times a year, so the weekend before we go camping I pull the pop up around front, air it out and load it up. Within days I get a letter with a photo stating that I have thirty days to move it. Same thing if I put my big trailer up front on the weekend while working. The last letter I got on my trailer gave me thirty days. I moved it on Day 28. Without the letter it would have been moved in a day or two. Now I sometimes "forget" to move things back just to see how long it takes for the letter to show up. I know that's petty but I don't make the rules.

The thing is if these guys would actually talk to people they might learn a thing or two. Like hey we are going camping and the camper will be gone in a day or two. My favorites are the ones that complain about grass height. Maybe the homeowner has been or is sick. Maybe they've been out of town taking care of a relative. Maybe they are spending their time coaching youth sports and grass isn't the biggest item on the To Do list.

These a-holes went after the guy down the street because he had a lifted Cherokee with a flat tire in the driveway. They send the hate letter and it turns out the Cherokee belonged to his son who is in the Army--the Army that keeps us safe and free and enables HOA Nazis to be able to complain freely--stationed somewhere in a desert where the favorite past time is blowing up Americans in an attempt to get forty virgins in the next life. The flat hadn't been dealt with because the son was trying to make a keep or sell decision before spending money on new tires. It's just a hunch, but I suspect when you spend your waking hours trying to avoid getting shot or blown up by an IED, a flat jeep tire on the other side of the world probably doesn't make the priority list.

Now back to the fixing things for people. I have all but stopped doing that. Not because of the Nazis but because these same people that I bust my back, my rear and my knuckles for, drive right by me and never offer a helping hand. I've been on my back at midnight on a work night in the rain getting a guys truck together so he can get to work the next day. There's one guy in the neighborhood that I still help. He's good people and does things like mow my grass if I'm gone for several weeks and loans me his big Kubota with the PTO tiller to do my garden. I don't expect anything in return but every once a while it would be nice to be offered.

Sorry for the rant. It was a bad week. I traveled for work this week. I worked until 3 am Monday night/Tuesday morning and then checked into my hotel. Very nice hotel. Nice to the tune of 200+ a night. Before daylight somebody decided they wanted inside my truck and jacked the door handle. Now I have a truck to fix, closing some accounts and the other steps you have to take.

I'm done now.

I used to get a lot of scrap from a guy who lived in a HOA neighborhood. I pulled up one day in with the Suburban and the big trailer an we were taking stuff out of his garage and putting it on the trailer. His drive was steeper than the trailer would go up without dragging and scarring his concrete driveway. While we were loading someone across the road came in a parked on the opposite side of the street from me. 

There was room to drive between the two vehicles. A woman in a fancy car showed up and started yelling and cussing at me because she was the HOA president and I was blocking the road. I knew she didn't live on that street because we were there every couple of weeks. 

I told her to pound sand and get lost. She said she wa going to fine me. I told her I was going to knock a pile of scrap metal on her car. I didn't live there and she had no more authority over what I did than the president of Yugosalvia. She got so mad she turned bright red and told me again she was going to fine me. I told her if she didn't get out of my way I was going to have the police ticket her for blocking the road. She lit out and i never saw her again. 

There were lots of neighbors standing out watching. They all knew me and I bought their old appliances and junk from them on occasion. 

Turns out the guy had been locked in a battle to have her removed as HOA president. He won that year. 

• Gtractor, WNYTractorTinkerer and BNK have said thanks

#38 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 07:36 PM

It is my understanding that they are only concerned with what they can see from a public vantage unless there is something in the law that says otherwise.

Not necessarily any more. Their latest game is using Google Street View and the satellite views on Google Maps to see what's hiding in your back yard. I know someone who got fined for an unpermitted shed that way. There was no complaint and the shed wasn't visible from the road. The township zoning officer sits at his desk looking at satellite views of various properties then cross references what permits have been issued.
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#39 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Not necessarily any more. Their latest game is using Google Street View and the satellite views on Google Maps to see what's hiding in your back yard. I know someone who got fined for an unpermitted shed that way. There was no complaint and the shed wasn't visible from the road. The township zoning officer sits at his desk looking at satellite views of various properties then cross references what permits have been issued.

Good luck to them trying to find something in the field behind my house on a satellite view. There is actually a building in the blackberry bushes somewhere. When I need to get something out if it we have to take the hedge clippers and a mower to get to it. 

• MH81, WNYTractorTinkerer and Kmac1 have said thanks

#40 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:17 PM

This is like the people who build a house next to my local short track that been there 75+ years and cry about the noise.  

I live 15 mins away I love hearing the cars testing from the house before I head there later at night to watch.  

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#41 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 09:21 PM

In my part of Illinois(DeKalb County, which is prime corn and soybean land) they have made it almost impossible to build out in the country now. I forget exactly how many acres you must have to build on, but it's quite a bit. If your lucky, you might buy an old homestead and build on that.

I hope you can keep it this way. A small county south east of you had the same rules then someone greedy got in power & change it. This opened it up so that today there is not much farm ground left in that county.

Charlie

#42 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 11:04 PM

We had the same issue. both our complaints came in april. last year the complaint was we remodeled our kitchen and i had linoleum and other building materials on my patio in back of the house. we can only put so much trash out each week.If you put too much out they let some of it lay.I was gradually getting rid of the stuff when i could.They also complained about the pile of scrap metal i had in yard just off of patio. It was the stove fan,radiators i tore out,copper piping. All this stuff was still covered in snow so i wasn't in a real hurry to clean up.To top it all off i was working 70 hrs week at the time at my full time job plus painting and trimming the kitchen when i got home from work.I was pissed. 

This april we had the same issue we got a letter in the mail giving me 2 weeks to clean up several items.The one item was a j.d 112 i just brought home the week before. i had it setting in my yard until i got it in garage.the other items were tires that i use in my garden.I actually called the borough office and explained what they were for and guess what,they are still there. This time the idiots were dumb enough to send pictures. bingo i knew who turned us in. I gave my neighbor an earful of 4 letter words and how the a.h. that turned us in has no clue of my situation or my work schedule. She won't even look at me anymore.

• Alc said thank you

#43 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 12:16 AM

Too many people hide behind anonymous complaints and the Internet. If something bothers you that much, get a set and walk over and talk. But no one does that anymore. They write an anonymous letter and complain.

We have a bunch of turkey farms back home. Several thousand turkeys worth of manure in August in South Carolina smells. To everyone else it stinks. To the people making a living from them it smells like money. New people will move in and complain about the smell. Did they think that row after row of turkey houses would smell like roses?

The HOA Nazis are unhappy people and they want everyone else to be unhappy, too. A half mile down the road from me is a neighborhood with 600+ houses at $ 500k and up. Driving through it, you can't even tell people live there--no bikes or kids toys in the yard, no basketball goals, no cars in the driveways. It's kind of sad.
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#44 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 307 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 01:22 AM

this is so true, I just experienced this first hand, I moved from the front property to the back property so I didn't have to see the back stabbers and two years later I get a tax bill for under paid taxes, my taxes were paid up so I go downtown and they tell me I lost my homestead exemption when I moved (they knew I moved cus the back property has it's own address, the dirty trick they tried was sending my tax bill to my old box and not recognizing my new mailing address of the last two year's. good thing I kept checking my old mail box,I left it up for reason's like this out of experience)so wile I'm trying to get a straight answer on why the back property was exempt when I lived in front and not when I moved to the back I notice wile shaking my head in disbelief a large computer screen across the Hall flashing images, IT'S MY PROPERTY!!! I see my property in spring, I see it in summer, I see it in fall and I see it in winter,good thing no tractors or trucks hiding in my hardwood valley's cus with the leave's gone and snow on the ground (the winter pic.)I could see my tracks on my two track, privacy lost forever, and the resolution of their program is military grade, could read the date on a dime looked like to me and I'm across the hall, I had the assessor come out and got my exemption back and now I have to file a grievance to get back my over paid taxes! just another day in our new world order. going way off topic did red green ever do a show on this?he would if he seen this thread (had to put a happy note with all this wind lol)
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#45 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 08:20 AM

In other words your "preserved" the 1.5 A. Why? Why not leave it all in one piece and call it a farm with a farm dwelling? Is this something that all rural dwellings have to go through up there?

It's kinda the opposite, your preserving the farm land and giving up development rights etc..(depending on the type the owner is paid by the municpality for the development rights) which then puts it in very low tax bracket, then the dwelling and whatever is excepted out basically another lot is created

Edited by jabelman, September 03, 2016 - 08:23 AM.