60 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 08:59 AM

Couple things I don't understand?  Why did you take the house and 1.5 acres off the farm?   Did that change the zoning of that 1.5 A to residential rather than AG?  I know things are done different all over the country.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I was in Oklahoma City two years after the bombing, my family is from beggs, any way. I took a cab to my meeting and the Somalian cab driver said that the problem with America is that we have to many freedoms. I told him that I had shed blood for this country and will decide that for myself. Funny that he left his country to come here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Gtractor, LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Boyscout, you might be right. What I am refering to though is the method of punishing everyone so they will turn on the perpetrator.

Edited by LilysDad, September 01, 2016 - 12:41 PM.

• MH81 and Diesel1050 have said thanks

#19 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Couple things I don't understand? Why did you take the house and 1.5 acres off the farm? Did that change the zoning of that 1.5 A to residential rather than AG? I know things are done different all over the country.

when I did farmland preservation survey you had a 1 acre minimum around the main dwelling, or larger per the owner for future additions and building which you also have to include future septic repairs. once it's preserved it's final

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm on 60 acres but I took my house and 1 1/2 acres off the farm when I had the chance

1) why?

2) can you not move all of the farm stuff (including gt's) on to the 58.5 acres and tell them to go pound sand?

• MH81, adamjd200 and jimmy G have said thanks

#21 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hence the reason I am looking at getting a 12X20 +/- storage shed, even though it's my parents property I can still load it on a flatbed and take it with me if I need to, the farm stuff they can't do anything about as we are in an AG district, anytime someone purchases a property in a AG district in NY they must sign off that they know they're in one as NY has a Right To Farm law on the books. 

Am I just stupid or is it contradictory that in a "free country" we need such a thing as a right to farm law. Don

• boyscout862 and jimmy G have said thanks

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Am I just stupid or is it contradictory that in a "free country" we need such a thing as a right to farm law. Don

No, I agree it's ridiculous, the part of PA I grew up in is so bad for this crap, a lot of people left. 

• MH81 said thank you

#23 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:30 AM

1) why?

2) can you not move all of the farm stuff (including gt's) on to the 58.5 acres and tell them to go pound sand?

I was wondering the same thing?

#24 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:33 AM

You buy property, Pay lots for school & local taxes each year and some jackass whines that he don't like the way YOUR property looks?  I'd stop mowing the lawn and put signs all over the property stating that if any neighbor's don't like what they see @ MY house, don't look at it and MYOB!  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 01, 2016 - 11:34 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#25 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:36 AM

About 1987 I had a problem with neighbors, The south side of the street was city, the north side where I lived was county. The city police showed up at my door. Said a neighbor had complained I had to many cars. (all licensed Insured and running) Made me Angry. I went outside and worked up a 15' X 15' garden plot, Went to the chicken farm where I bought fresh whole milk. They had just cleaned out the barn and were happy to fill the back of my full size 3/4 ton with the nice fresh manure. I went home and "fertilized my garden". The Neighborhood reeked for 6 weeks. Had facebook existed at the time I don't think I would have gotten many friends request. But I heard no more complaints  Don

• Bolens 1000, MH81, skyrydr2 and 4 others have said thanks

#26 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 12:50 PM

You buy property, Pay lots for school & local taxes each year and some jackass whines that he don't like the way YOUR property looks?  I'd stop mowing the lawn and put signs all over the property stating that if any neighbor's don't like what they see @ MY house, don't look at it and MYOB!  

Um hum. I know how you feel, but you've got just about as much leverage as they did at Waco.

To farmer john: I'm not sure how they do things in Canada with this bylaws commitee. It sounds like down here where we have suburban housing developments who form their own homeowners association for some fool reason and give them absolute authority to tell what ever you can do. They can tell you to cut your weeds. They can tell you you can't have a shed or a dog house, fly a flag or park your boat in the drive way. In exchange for that, you get to give them money! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  (This is where I went off the rails and started a political rant, but I caught myself. Sorry!)

Edited by LilysDad, September 01, 2016 - 01:02 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#27 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 01:52 PM

In Connecticut the housing booms of the eighties brought alot of city types out into the rural areas. They built subdivisions and moved in. Then they started to complain about the noise and smells from the farms. Pretty soon there were lawsuits and the farms closed. They then became subdivisions and the towns grew more. The new people started demanding that the towns provide services and property taxes went way up. The right to farm was a very late attempt to save the farms that are left and shield them from the nusiance suits brought by people that think the world should conform to their wants. There are very few working farms in CT anymore. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 01, 2016 - 01:53 PM.

• MH81, LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#28 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 02:44 PM

There are very few working farms in CT anymore. Good Luck, Rick

In my part of Illinois(DeKalb County, which is prime corn and soybean land) they have made it almost impossible to build out in the country now. I forget exactly how many acres you must have to build on, but it's quite a bit. If your lucky, you might buy an old homestead and build on that.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 04:23 PM

when I did farmland preservation survey you had a 1 acre minimum around the main dwelling, or larger per the owner for future additions and building which you also have to include future septic repairs. once it's preserved it's final

In other words your "preserved" the 1.5 A.  Why?  Why not leave it all in one piece and call it a farm with a farm dwelling?  Is this something that all rural dwellings have to go through up there?

#30 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 04:41 PM

I read in the papers the other day that a neighbourhood in New Zealand complained that two cars were parked the wrong way in a residential area. Also the same suburb left two anonymous notes on people cars parked on the drive stating that their cars were letting the neighbourhood down as they were too old and did not reflect the status of that part of town.

I cannot abide snobbery nor pettiness.
  • MH81, boyscout862, BNK and 1 other said thanks