• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 11:21 PM

boy I hate noisy, buzzy buddy neighbours, got a letter fro the bylaw people saying I have to clean up my gt collection amongst other things.  I had 20 or so outside in my driveway, now I'm not in the city, I'm on 60 acres but I took my house and 1 1/2 acres off the farm when I had the chance, well now the bylaw people say I cant keep my farm stuff there like my extra fencing, posts, my bigger tractor a massey 375 with loader , baler, discs ect, they even say that my trailers have to be plated too. who plates a hay wagon? what really ticks me off now is the fact that I have a bunch of city folk on my street , theres only 14 houses but I have helped each and everyone of them on many occasions, from watching their kids, to driving them around, doing there snow, fixing their cars , cutting their lawns when on vacation, and the list goes on and on and now one of them has stabbed me in the back, the bylaw people only act on complaints,  I am hoping that if I ask by quoting the freedom of information act I can find out the guilty party, other wise I am going to have to go against my giving and helpful nature and say sorry no can do, tell they why, because I cant stand the thought of being used by people like that. the ones that come over, smile, drink your beer, then call the cops because your music's a little loud , well that's my rant , tomorrow I have to sort out some gts to get rid of

• DH1, daytime dave, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, them damn nosy neighbors. Spend more time minding their own business, they'd have less time minding yours... Crap like this just chaps my ass to no end. And it's always someone who themselves aren't the "perfect do no wrong type" either.

Go and visit  the local watering hole. No one there can keep there mouth shut after a few beers/drinks.

Edited by zippy1, August 31, 2016 - 11:58 PM.

• boyscout862, HANKG, old coot and 4 others have said thanks

#3 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 342 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 12:02 AM

Yep give them an inch they will ruin you. They step on you and now you are the enemy. And there are more of them than there are of you. Don

• boyscout862, zippy1 and jimmy G have said thanks

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 12:46 AM

The township took me to cort, I lost, in my area it takes two neighbors to make a complaint. I'm in the county with ff zoning on all side's, doesn't matter, bigger mess across the street, doesn't matter, huge mess around the corner, doesn't matter,township clerk on my road who I cleaned her and her husband's stove pipe for free and helped him mount back tires(loaded) on his Kubota for free And pulled his to old to drive butt out of the snow bank repeatedly for free I get her signature at the bottom of the blight order, I know who the two are because this is smallvill and one had an ax to grind and the other is new, they are not going to tell you who's complaining because the law is on their side and the law says they can do what they want. we are told we have rights and freedom's only to keep us happy. we gave up what little we had after 9/11 to be safe (thank you GW)and now we have neither. your story is more common than you think so at least you're not alone. I turned the front four into pasture and everything I couldn't part with went back at least a 1/4mi.out of sight, the blight officer was happy that i complied with the order in a timely manner and said out of site out of mind, it didn't mater I had an 8ft.privacy fence or been working here for 26yr's
  • Alc, boyscout862 and zippy1 have said thanks

#5 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 04:37 AM

Sorry to hear of the trouble. It seems now a days that you need to have your house looking better than every one else's or it is reason for a complaint. We have a neighbor that has quite a bit in the front lawn. Quite a few people told me to I should complain to the township about it. I say, no way. Cause my property isn't perfect either. And I don't want to be watched every week if I got the last weed knocked down.
  • Alc, boyscout862, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:33 AM

It's a shame the way things have come to be .  Yes I might not like looking at my neighbors junk cars around  his house and would want them around mine  but I have a scrap pile next to my garage that might look bad to him . The neighbor in front to me took his old shed down and put up a new bigger one , yea it's closer to my property line then it's supposed to but it's not bothering me . jimmy G  I can't believe that you can't keep your stuff behind a 8' fence , really who cares , what your storing are long as it not something illegal , but I guess old tractor are ! 

• boyscout862 and jimmy G have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:36 AM

I have CRP fields on all 4 sides of me.  They make GREAT neighbors!

• grnspot110, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#8 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 06:21 AM

I'm broke and friggin crazy,with a yard full of crap! they leave me alone.Wise idea.

Edited by karl, September 01, 2016 - 06:24 AM.

• boyscout862 and jimmy G have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 06:40 AM

It is my understanding that they are only concerned with what they can see from a public vantage unless there is something in the law that says otherwise.
You may have to thin, but do you have to get rid of all? Can you get them behind the house and out of sight?

I got a letter that my lawn was higher than 8". The only places it was that high was the old garden that we cut down by hand (at the time, we were still deciding on a small garden) and on top of the pile of dirt we moved to rearrange the flower garden.
Not planning on moving that dirt now. And the garbage cans can stay out there all the time. Busy body next door wants to b*tch about the grass, she can stare at my garbage cans too.
There was a picture with the letter and In the picture was my garbage. It was take on the nite we all set our cans out. In my garbage was the hot water tank I had thrown out two months before. I had mowed the lawn twice since then. Dummies
  • boyscout862, zippy1, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:09 AM

It all depends on where you live. I'm in the woods and have lots of stuff. I pay property taxes on the junk vehicles and "scrap iron" and they leave me alone. My neighbors do the same. Cleanning up and keeping everything out of sight is a good idea from a security point.

Now, onto a point that was lightly touched on. No longer helping the neighbors. This can be a very good thing in the long run. I used to help with everything from snowplowing to welding. Now I only do it for very special friends. When asked I just say that I can't because I'm not licensed. In your case just say that the complaint pointed out that you can't do commercial activity. The other good thing here is that the people that complain will be the first to sue you if a good deed doesn't work out the way that they imagined it should. Examples would be some bush damaged when snow plowing or damage to the front end when pulling a stuck vehicle. There are too many people and way too many lawyers now that just want you to pay for their life style. Protect yourself. Look at this as a "heads up" for how things are changing and that you need to protect yourself. I'm pulling for you, we are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 01, 2016 - 01:39 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 7 others have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:13 AM

I had similar with old trucks and cars I used to get and tear down. I kept it kinda neat, mowed fine and such. Then had tractors after. Built a six foot fence as the County claimed was one option. THEN, they hated that, and even went down to see if I had proper permit and away from there line enough and stuff.  The fence even had the back open, just about the area they could see from there house/drive as the came out. They are in back of me some, drive is all that ran by my place. They did same for Body Guy accross the street that would fix cars out in air, then set in yard for sale. They claimed wasn't a business area and not a car lot to be there.  He built big garage. I jambed most back in garage, sold most of the trucks, then when I got sick back then, tore the fence down, was DONE!  But, got well again and started on tractors! I kept them inside most times tho, but still worked on them in drive and yard alot, with them staring and frowning as they went by. She's dead now, and he's barely making it, so don't see them much now and don't bother me anymore.

• MH81, boyscout862 and jimmy G have said thanks

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:22 AM

In my town of 1300, the main trouble is we have a board with too much time on their hands. The town has long since enacted all necessary rules and regulations to cover everything. Now they look around for things make rules for. At one meeting they lowered the maximum allowable heighth of weeds from 10" to 8". At another, they made it illegal to put your trash out more than one day before pick up time. We would be much better off if we took away their right to pass regulations and restricted them to budget matters.

• MH81, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Now, onto a point that was lightly touched on. No longer helping the neighbors. This can be a very good thing in the long run. I used to help with everything from snowplowing to welding. Now I only do it for very special friends. When asked I just say that I can't because I'm not licensed. In your case just say that the complaint pointed out that you can't do commercial activity. . . . .

You might also point out that a few people ruined it for everyone.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Hence the reason I am looking at getting a 12X20 +/- storage shed, even though it's my parents property I can still load it on a flatbed and take it with me if I need to, the farm stuff they can't do anything about as we are in an AG district, anytime someone purchases a property in a AG district in NY they must sign off that they know they're in one as NY has a Right To Farm law on the books. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 08:20 AM

You might also point out that a few people ruined it for everyone.

I wouldn't say it. People will know. Pointing it out just sounds spitefull which goes over poorly with most people. Sometimes things are better left unsaid. Let people figure it out for themselves. Good Luck, Rick

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you