Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:37 PM

I tried to be good - really I did!.  Tractors were just going too cheap.  Quality was not that great but lots of tractors for $300-$450. 

I bought this early VAC Case with chicken roost steering.  War time model with 6 foot David Bradley Tri-Cut mower deck.  $550 and 'posta run.  Didn't have any gas or battery so I had someone help me drag it out of the mud and onto my trailer.   Its still on the trailer tonight.

Case VAC.jpg ,Bradley deck.jpg  

I'll give other results tomorrow. Might even talk about the Case 300[?] loader- backhoe that ran and operated WITH EXTEND-A-HOE that I think brought $350-$375.  

Bed time and I'm beat. :wave:

• MH81, grnspot110, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Yep, 50 lashes with a wet noodle......for not buying me the backhoe.

• Gtractor, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 10:41 PM

You see my single axle trailer.   That's the big one!  :(

• DougT, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:09 AM

Cool Case! Let's see how it mows!

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Nice find!!!   :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

As for your thread title ---------------------------------------- well!   :D  :D  :D

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:22 AM

I had an SC once, I like it. Easy to spin right around in tight turn.  I fixed it up and painted all but fenders and hood, but had to sell when I got sick a few years back. I gave like $300 for it, kinda stuck and messy.

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Looks like you maxed out on weight for that trailer.  Better have at least 6 ply or 8 would be better for that kind of load.  3K axels?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Nice tractor. Good running engines.
Owners and svce manuals used to be online for free.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Bad Kris very very bad :poke:

LOL I would of bought it to even though I'm "broke".Tires look a little dry but rest of it looks pretty clean and complete for the year.

I would love to go to the big tractor auctions and buy up a couple but not sure my uncle would want a bunch of farm tractors lined up behind the barn till I could get to them.No way I could keep more than 1 Farmall Cub sized tractor here in the yard :rolling:  You should see the mess when I get 10-15 garden tractors lined up to work on.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Looks like you maxed out on weight for that trailer.  Better have at least 6 ply or 8 would be better for that kind of load.  3K axels?

Trailer house axle with load range D "mobile home" tires straight outta the city dump.  I "built" that trailer in '04 and have yet to spend one cent on tires. Some tires didn't last long but there has been a decent supply along the years as I needed "new" ones.  Still have more tires out back in storage waiting until needed.  I do all my own mounting and flat fixing. 

This trailer was originally a 16 foot tandem job that the local farmers co-op had to haul a small hi-crop sprayer.   They horribly overloaded it and bent it too bad to fix.   It was cut up for scrap into three pieces.  One cut was at the front spring hanger and the other cut was at the rear spring hanger.  They kept the middle section [with springs and axles] and the rest was loaded on the scrap heap until they had a full load to haul in.  One day my FIL [he was a city police captain cruising the town] saw the remains of that scrap pile being loaded on a big trailer to be hauled in.  He told the scrap man he wanted to buy the remains of the trailer. I had already expressed interest in the pieces of trailer to my FIL, so he knew I wanted it.  The fella running the loader said $5 for the two pieces and they must be removed that day.

I had the makings of a trailer!  About 10 feet worth.  I bought 6 feet of 3X5 angle to match the frame, cut it in half, and used those two, 3foot long pieces to weld the two halves back together.  That made me have a 13 feet long frame.  There had always been a trailer house axle out back here left by a previous tenant.  The axle didn't have any leaf springs but I don't like single axle trailers on springs anyhow.   I just drilled holes and "U" bolted the axle under the frame.  Rides a lil rough but it sets low.

When the trailer was done and ready to title I had $105 invested.  First couple of years it had no fenders but I found these homemade fenders at an auction and got those for $15.  Been a good trailer for 12 years now.   Hauled everything from an H Farmall down to garden tractors.

I intended to post several pictures of tractors and give prices but the auctioneers website has already deleted the auction.  I can get to the archives up to mid July of this year so maybe in a month or so when the auctioneers website puts the sale bill in their archive section I can get to the pics but by then I'll forget the prices.  

I let ya'll down.

This is the only pic I have as I had already saved it.  10-20 that had been running but had locked from sitting in a shed too long.  Little rough all over, but not bad for its age, it brought $1000.

10-20 1929.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 10:20 PM

IT RUNS!!!!!!

OH MAN!! This thing fought me something awful.  My last post was long and I know ya'll have better things to do so I'll keep this one short.  I knew the tractor had a magneto ignition that had a battery coil bolted on.  Hybrid of sorts. The mag is from an I-H. 

Anyhow I filed the points and messed up the timing in the process.  Wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.  With the points clean and the tractor waaaay outta time I got a MAJOR boom so I knew it was firing the plugs.  Found TDC on #1 and set everything up correctly. 

Then NOTHING.

GRRRRR!

Cutting to the chase.  The bolt that goes through the positive battery cable that tightens the cable on the battery post DOES NOT CARRY ANY CURRENT from the battery.  Switch is bad and looks like it was hotwired for its last few years of use.  I kept wrapping the hot wire around the bolt on the positive battery post and couldn't get fire. 

Drove me crazy!

Once I found my contact was no good I got power to the coil and it fired right up and the engine sounds great! 

I have a feeling the neighbor that tried to get everything ready for the auction as a favor to the deceased,  didn't know how to file points or he just didn't have time to get to everything. 

Now I wish I'd bid a few licks on the Gehl skid loader that was supposed to be good but "didn't have fire" for $750  :wallbanging:

I'm going to post some prices if for nothing else so I can reference them later.  If the auction companies archives show pics in a month or so I'll try to upload them.  Almost everything was a lil rough to very worn. They only bought a couple of batteries so few started on their own.  Some had been pull started in the weeks leading up to the sale but the bidders couldn't hear but two of them run sale day.

9N Ford - nice tight tractor supposed to be low hour on rebuild.  Brand new matched rear tires. $750

Kubota L260 2 wheel drive. Supposed to operate fine. Johnson Workhorse loader with a couple of repairs from cracks.  One rear wheel VERY rotten from calcium.  $1100

D4 Cat. diesel.  converted to electric start. With blade - Tracks looked decent.  $1800ish

C Farmall with trip bucket loader  Grille beat to death but rest of tractor was right decent.  I heard it run [good] after the sale. One bad rear tire. $350

John Deere 1944 B -  didn't even walk around that one but I think it was one of the better looking tractors there.  $1100ish

Pennsylvania Meteor 1012 garden tractor.  Nice original - no implements  $550.

I bought the 4 foot Woods front mount mower deck for the Meteor for an opening bid of $25

Deere 110 round fender.  Looked good been sitting a long time. Front edge of hood was good! $200 [a real deal!]

Deere square fender 110 with deck.  Setting since 1999.  around 300 dollars.

Massey 65  looked OK they had it running before sale they said.  Tires were flat and total junk.  $500ish

Allis B112 with tiller.  missing grille  somewhere around $350-400

Case 730 diesel wide front - sat idling most of the day, ready to work.  $1100ish 

Edited by Gtractor, September 01, 2016 - 10:50 PM.

• grnspot110 and KennyP have said thanks

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Well this tractor really kicked my butt!!!!!!!   :wallbanging:

Engine started and sounded good.  ran it long enough to warm it up.  The gauge faces are kind of shot but they all work.  I thought the temp gauge was the oil gauge.  In reality it had lost its oil prime and wasn't oiling. 

I ran it way too long before I figured that out. 

Through the facebook J. I. Case page with advise from those in the know, I was able to get oil pressure.  Had I known there was a problem I could have removed the oil line for the dash gauge and used a hand pump oil can to prime the oiling system. 

Long story short, I dropped the pan, checked the bearings [there is some damage - not real bad but any is NOT good - crank looks perfect] and checked the oil pump itself.  All is good now and I know how to prime an oil pump on an engine that has sat for quite a while without tearing into the bottom end of the engine on the next one. 

Tractor runs the best but needs a total restore.  Got to use the David Bradley mower deck some.  It needs some new bearings as well.  Hydraulic lift works fine.  Tires have stayed up. 

Since I don't have the time for a total restore I guess it goes out back for now in line with all the other "stuff". 

• grnspot110 and KennyP have said thanks