Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:09 PM

I'm a little over 75,000 on this and started to notice a slight shutter when hauling the GT's and it shifts back into O/D. Yea I could turn O/D off but it raises the RPM at 75-80 mph.

Talked to two Dealers $360.00 Ouch. Went to a mechanic shop that I use for my other vehicle (when I don't feel like working on it) $180.00 for a flush, and if I buy the 16 qt's. of Motor craft Dextron V it would save me a few more $$$ as I only pay for labor. Full capacity is 10 qt's

Now when I asked if I needed to get the gasket and filter from a dealer or Auto zone. He said that the filter is not changed with a full flush. Is this normal now?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:24 PM

These new flushes are a joke. They take a cooler line loose and pump fluid in while it is coming out the other side. I asked the rep demonstrating the machine what happens after you suck all the dirt into the filter. His answer was that the last step was to send fluid backwards. I said, so you putting the dirt back into the pan. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. I think the filter is the most important part of a service. There is also a band adjustment in a ranger. You might ask the dealer what all you are getting for the 360.00. Some use the flush machine and change the filter after the fact and some don't. I think the flush machine is a gimmick used by the quick lubes because they seemed to struggle changing the filter and getting it right.

• larrybl, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:47 PM

check the color of your fluid if it's still nice red your fine. I hear mixed things about flushing a trans sometimes does more harm than good
  • larrybl and DougT have said thanks

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:14 PM

Looks like several methods, and different pricing.

1. Pan drop and filter change. Only replaces 1/3 of the total fluid.

2. Flush, Replaces most of the fluid, but not the filter.

I watched a 3rd method where the Pan was dropped, cleaned, and filter replaced. Then topped off, started up, drove around the block then the fluid was pumped out through the fill tube, and topped off again. Said after three times doing this 90% of the fluid is replaced.

I may stop at the dealer again tomorrow and ask specifically what is done for $360.00 and if I can watch.   

• propane1 said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:15 PM

check the color of your fluid if it's still nice red your fine. I hear mixed things about flushing a trans sometimes does more harm than good

The fact that the flush can do more harm than good is right. The fluid being red is a good sign but there isn't a dipstick in the ranger to test it. Replacing the filter and checking band adjustment will help keep it that way. I think you are farther ahead to drop the pan and change the filter and refill with fluid. You are going to get at least half the fluid and maybe 6-7 qts. I would recommend changing the filter every 30,000 mi or 2 yrs. When the fluid turns black and you have problems, it's too late for the filter. Kind of like changing the engine oil after the rods are knocking.

• larrybl, Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I have a dip stick, and the fluid is red, and not burnt. 75K and a slight stutter.  

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I swear back when I had my auto ranger he dropped did the power flush and changed the filter afterwards.

My Tacoma is sealed. The only way to change the fluid is to flush.
  • larrybl said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:28 PM

I have an AOD tranny in a Dodge car that has had a moderate to severe shudder when it goes into overdrive.  Been there at least 14 years and 150,000+ miles.  I know I've pulled the dipstick and checked the fluid level at least twice in that time. 

• larrybl and MiCarl have said thanks

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:32 PM

when I had my 02 ranger I changed the filter and fluid once when I got with 50k miles I ran that truck to 185 and sold it and it's still running strong never had an issues with the trans, I never pulled a trailer with it but hauled a fair amount in the bed,yes there is a dipstick
  • larrybl said thank you

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Once the fuild is brown and smells burned , you are in trouble.

Noel.
  • larrybl said thank you

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:50 PM

I have heard that the torque converter can be the trouble. Out of balance, I think.

Noel.
  • larrybl said thank you

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:08 PM

I have a dip stick, and the fluid is red, and not burnt. 75K and a slight stutter.  

What engine, Larry? I didn't realize any still had a dipstick. Must be trans dependent.

• larrybl said thank you

#13 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:35 PM

I don't know the engine or transmission you are dealing with, On many vehicles with "Overdrive" in this day and age what they have done is use a lock up torque converter. This means there is a clutch installed in the converter which is engaged and disengaged by the engine transmission management computer. If it is frequently engagingly and disengaging it is causing wear. The fluid comes from the torque converter through the valve body carrying the particles from this wear. I would about bet the manual says take it out of OD when towing and for city driving. Don       

• larrybl, propane1 and Jazz have said thanks

#14 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:54 PM

2007 Ranger Sport. Has a V6 engine, Transmission service is recommended at 75K I think. I'll talk with another Ford Dealer in town tomorrow, the one I went to yesterday I don't trust.

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 10:13 PM

3.0 litre v6 or 4.0 litre v6 ?

Noel.