10 replies to this topic

#1 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 12:24 PM

In the spring the day after tilling, the K482 in one of my 1886's seized up. I found an engine that was described as having a new low hour short block that was installed at a dealer. The engine turns over and has good compression and appears to be in good shape. I didn't like the black engine tins so i bought paint and painted the tins. Afterwards, I thought that freshly painted engine would look bad in the rusty tractor, so I bought more paint. In the process of cleaning the frame up, I decided that the hydrostatic  unit and rear need re- sealed, so I bought new o-rings, seals ect. After that I decided to replace the front axle pin and bushings to tighten the steering a bit. Then I realized that the spindle bearings and bushings. After all of that, I put the engine in and made all new wiring harness for it and put an oil pressure guage on it. Finally this past Saturday, I got to start it and was very disappointed as the rear cylinder has a knock. I really don't understand what went wrong since the oil pressure guage showed 45 psi! Now I'm not sure if I want to try to rebuild one of the k482's or just re-power it with a new engine. I suspect that it would need at least 1 rod and piston but that could be real expensive if I could find them. Should I re-power it or rebuild it? Does anyone know of an engine builder in the York Pa area that could do this rebuild? Does anyone know where I can get OE or aftermarket parts/part numbers for these? Any help is appreciated. I have a nice looking tractor with a lame engine.

Thanks,

Bud W

• blackjackjakexxix and bprzyw have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Wow sorry to hear that, sounds like you were given a  junk engine!

Unfortunately parts like rods for these K482  are near impossible to find new, kohler pretty much has given up most parts support for this engine. I think the piston and rings are available but they were around $200 last time I looked one up 

• blackjackjakexxix and bprzyw have said thanks

#3 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 01:16 PM

That stinks. The rod is part # A-277130-S, but as stated, they are discontinued and difficult to find, and typically outrageously overpriced if you do. The Pistons and rings are still available in all sizes from STD to .030" oversized, but as Bolens1000 said, well over $200 each. If you only need rings, you can expect to pay a little over $100 per side.

Personally, I would rebuild if the parts can be obtained. The power output and torque created by the K series cast iron twin speaks for itself and is hard to match with even some of largest new engines. The real downside is the parts availability, not so much the costs involved. Considering the cost of a new replacement engine in a Kohler Command series or such and the work required to retrofit into your old tractor. IMO the original K Series wins out in most scenarios.
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Personally, I would rebuild if the parts can be obtained. The power output and torque created by the K series cast iron twin speaks for itself and is hard to match with even some of largest new engines. The real downside is the parts availability, not so much the costs involved. Considering the cost of a new replacement engine in a Kohler Command series or such and the work required to retrofit into your old tractor. IMO the original K Series wins out in most scenarios.

I agree, its  a shame they stopped making the rods especially which is often a killer on a rebuild.   I always tell my customers if your rods are good or you have new ones rebuild the K series. Maybe we need to do a plea to one of the aftermarkets to get the rods reproduced for these engines I'm sure they would sell quite a few from the requests I get and have seen on the forums but we'd likely need to commit to a bunch of them.

• blackjackjakexxix, bprzyw and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Fixin' one thing can turn into a snowball

• bprzyw said thank you

#6 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, It would be nice if the rods had a bearing insert. I did see where someone took a rod for single cylinder Kohler that has the same stroke and piston pin diameter as the K482 and opened up the crank end to the crankshaft size and machined the dipper off. Has anyone ever heard of that as an option? It would be really nice if someone would reproduce them, I have 2 complete engines and 2 partially complete k482's plus the 2 other 1886's that I have.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 02:13 PM

If you just need one standard rod, a dealer friend of mine has one  I just checked with , probably could sell to you at close to last list price which was about $125

• bprzyw said thank you

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I'd let the seller know that he sold you a junk engine. Maybe they will give you a credit of some sort. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. 

#9 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:02 PM

i've got a k482 for sale. could strap it to a pallet and ship it to you through fastenal. we are going on a road trip to nyc but the engine won't fit in the trunk. i removed it and put a honda in my 1886. my ht23 is a beast of an engine and so was the 482. nice low end torque. too bad about your engine though. guy should give you some money back seeing as it was stated to be a low hour short block.

#10 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 12:30 PM

I learned another lesson! Just out of curiosity, I pulled the head from the cylinder that was knocking and found the carbon was so built up that it was causing interference at TDC! I cleaned it up and put it back together with the old head gaskets and fired it up. It still makes a little noise but nothing like it was. I'm getting new head gaskets and will lap and adjust the valves and use it like that. I probably should have done that before I tried to start it.  Thanks for everyone's support!

• Bolens 1000, ClassicBolens, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#11 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Good Job, keep that K482 running as long as you can.!!!