• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • Member No: 84474
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:33 AM

New here and need help locating the correct ignition switch for my Massey Ferguson 10 model MF-10 and serial # 1446028984. It has a Tecumseh hh100 with solid state ignition. I just bought this tractor and first thing I did was to check for spark and there was none. Did some checking and asking some questions I was told my ssi was probably burnt out because I had power with the key at the run position. I removed the complete wiring harness and found one cobbled up spliced area. Nothing changed after correcting this so I'm thinking the switch was changed in the past. So I'm looking for the correct switch for this tractor. Hope some one can help me out. Thanks, Dave S

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160830_133026.jpg
  • 20160830_135009.jpg
  • 20160830_135655.jpg
  • 20160830_141759.jpg

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a switch number off hand but you should never apply power to the SSI or you will fry it. The switch you need should have an M on the back instead of an I for the wire going to the SSI. This grounds the SSI unit to kill the spark. The switch with the I puts power on the ignition circuit and you don't want that.
  • ducky, boyscout862 and Dave S have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:54 AM

Welcome to GTT. On our Home page is a list of our sponsors. Try them for your switch. They are knowledgeable and reasonable. Yor switch diagram has an "I" which is usually power to the ignition. The switch you want would have an "M" for the magneto ignition that you have. I am going through the same thing right now with an OH160 in my C160 Wheelhorse. I'm still too chicken to put the battery in. Try  http://home.earthlin...ller/index.html  for info on the ignition system. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 31, 2016 - 09:55 AM.

• ducky and Dave S have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 10:05 AM

When in doubt, leave the wire to the mg disconnected. It will run without it, just won't shut off. You can then test the switch to make sure there is no voltage on the wire. With the witch in the off position, there should be continuity to the G terminal for ground. That terminal should be grounded.
  • Dave S said thank you

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to GTT. On our Home page is a list of our sponsors. Try them for your switch. They are knowledgeable and reasonable. Yor switch diagram has an "I" which is usually power to the ignition. The switch you want would have an "M" for the magneto ignition that you have. I am going through the same thing right now with an OH160 in my C160 Wheelhorse. I'm still too chicken to put the battery in. Try  http://home.earthlin...ller/index.html  for info on the ignition system. Good Luck, Rick

Without looking for the correct Wheel Horse wiring diagram there was a period of time where they used a battery ignition switch on models with magneto ignition. They added an isolation relay to ground the magneto to shut it off and the "I" (eye) terminal of the ignition switch powered the relay coil. It was an attempt to standardize the ignition systems they used.

Garry

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and Dave S have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 11:51 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• Dave S said thank you

#7 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:43 PM

I've got a replacement for the ssi from Dale at overnite solutions but I would really need to find a switch before going further.

#8 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Have you tried the dealer

Part number for ignition switch for the Massey MF 14 - 16 still valid so I assume the MF-10 would be too

Got one last year for my MF 14

60 bucks   not cheap

• Dave S said thank you

#9 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Have you tried the dealer

Part number for ignition switch for the Massey MF 14 - 16 still valid so I assume the MF-10 would be too

Got one last year for my MF 14

60 bucks   not cheap

I'll try tomorrow, now an agco dealer, was previously an Oliver dealer

#10 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 04:08 AM

Another helpful thing would be if someone had the order of the letters on the post on the switch. thanks

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Another helpful thing would be if someone had the order of the letters on the post on the switch. thanks

http://gardentractor...erators-manual/

There is a wiring diagram showing the switch markings, and in the lower right is a chart showing the internal connections of the switch.

It appears to be a 4-position switch:  OFF-- RUN/ACC -- RUN -- START

The "L" terminal would be for lights, but appears they will only function when the key is in "position 2".

The parts manual (also in the Manuals Forum) for the MF10 shows part number 511 473 M1 for the key switch, but I don't know if that is correct, so confirmation is needed.

This is not brand specific:  Please keep in mind that even if switch terminals are marked correctly, the internal connections need to be verified.  .....There are several switches which have similar terminal configuration and marking, but may operate differently.

• Dave S said thank you

#12 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 08:47 AM

http://gardentractor...erators-manual/

There is a wiring diagram showing the switch markings, and in the lower right is a chart showing the internal connections of the switch.

It appears to be a 4-position switch:  OFF-- RUN/ACC -- RUN -- START

The "L" terminal would be for lights, but appears they will only function when the key is in "position 2".

The parts manual (also in the Manuals Forum) for the MF10 shows part number 511 473 M1 for the key switch, but I don't know if that is correct, so confirmation is needed.

This is not brand specific:  Please keep in mind that even if switch terminals are marked correctly, the internal connections need to be verified.  .....There are several switches which have similar terminal configuration and marking, but may operate differently.

Very helpful, bought a service manual from Jensales and was disappointed. Picking up a complete parts tractor with stuck engine in a couple hours so hopefully will be good to go.

#13 Dave S OFFLINE  

Dave S
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Very helpful, bought a service manual from Jensales and was disappointed. Picking up a complete parts tractor with stuck engine in a couple hours so hopefully will be good to go.

I did some checking on the switch part number 511 473 M1 which is NLA but found a nos one a few hours away. The switch they had was a 3 prong with screws for eyelets which he said was used on early MF 10. He gave me # 517 415 V91 which he said is the later switch for the MF 10. Kind of pricey at $50 but may be what I need. Wanted to share with you, I'll keep you updated with my findings.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#14 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Yes the first MF-10's had a starter generator and the engine had breaker points, no SSI.

• Dave S said thank you

#15 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 03, 2016 - 09:31 PM

"Part number for ignition switch for the Massey MF 14 - 16 still valid so I assume the MF-10 would be too

Got one last year for my MF 14"

Be careful here, the 14 and 16 are point systems and the 10s ans 12s are SSI. 

Not the same switch!  If you put power to the SSI you will fry it.

• Dave S said thank you