• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi all,   Had a friend show up at work today to ask a question about his tractor and towards the end of the conversation he made a comment about what did I know about Bolens walk behinds.  I told him very little and asked why.  He said he just picked one up over the weekend that was in a pile of junk he was told to dispose of.  I made a smart a** comment about that figures because it seems like everyone that's come into work this summer has gotten an old tractor of some kind free.  His response was if you want it come get it.  I asked him a couple questions about it to find out what size it was to know if i needed to bring the trailer or we could push it in the back of my truck and told him I'd be over after I got out of work.  Went and got it and its now at my shop.  I asked him if he wanted anything for it and he said no cause it was just going to scrap if I didn't take it.  Its not in too bad shape compared to the last walk behind I got.  Its missing the hood, air cleaner, and i think a belt guard.  The Briggs is stuck and the rims are probably shot because they had calcium in them.  The model is 15FC01 and the serial # is 54524 and it has a model 8 Briggs.  Is there anyway to tell the year or is it just a rough guess from the engine numbers if its the original engine?  And because I know everyone loves pictures, here's a few.    Stewart

bolens4.JPG bolens3.JPG bolens2.JPG bolens1.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 10:33 PM

The 15FC-01 tractors were made in 1954-55-56-57.

The engine numbers may help narrow down the year.

• Bolens 1000, diesel nut and MailmAn have said thanks

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:11 PM

The numbers on the engine are Model: 8 Type:107076 Ser #: 454434.  I found a chart that lists them by year and that serial number falls in March of 1954

• MailmAn said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 05:37 AM

If that is the original engine (good possibility), then your tractor was probably built in mid-1954. 

Back then, Bolens did not need to buy large amounts of engines with long lead times, so engines were often installed 1-3 months after they were made.

I'm not sure if there is any correlation, but I noticed the serial number of your tractor is 54524.  ......Coincidence???    

• LPBolens, diesel nut and MailmAn have said thanks

#5 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:16 PM

Finally got some time to work on it last night and managed to get the spark plug out without taking the threads with it.  Looking into the hole without a light you can see oxidized aluminium and rust flakes so a complete tear down and rebuild is in order.  While I was moving it around I heard a faint snap and a piece of metal bouncing off of something.  After looking it over the remains of the snap ring that holds the left hub on gave up and broke completely and the hub started to walk off the shaft.  I can't get it back on far enough to get a new one on.  Any suggestions on what might have come out of place when the hub slid out?                   Stewart