FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 451 Thanks
  • 855 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Well, this is the first year I am trying these. I asked my wife to see what they had and give me a call, which she did not... So she brought home a Habanero plant! I said what the heck, and put it in the planter. I will grab a jalapeno so I can have something a little more mild. (fyi: the Habanero is about 200,000 - 300,000 on the Scoville scale, where the Jalapeno is closer to about 2500. The bad boy, the Bhut Jolokia is sitting just over a million! ) Edit: I just looked up the numbers and it appears that the Bhut as been passed by the by the Naga Viper at 1, 382, 118 SHU! My word, pepper spray is about 2 million!

There is one that is listed in wikipedia which the BBC tested on 2006 at 1,598,227 but I don't think it was official... that would be the Dorset Naga.

ANYWAY... Now I have these "stupid hot" peppers growing in a very large plastic planter (maybe 24" across) and I am not quite sure what the heck I can do with them! I want to make some salsa this year, I have the tomatoes and tomatillo's planted as well as some nice orange sweet peppers. But could I even pull off a salsa with Habanero's? What else can I do with them? I do like hot, and LOVE the sweet mango Habanero sauce Domino's has... but still.

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:16 AM

I do like hot peppers if it is used to enhaunce a meal. I don't try to be macho and get in any pepper eating contests.
Jalepenos are my favorite. I like them diced sauteed with onion in a little butter and pour scrambled eggs over, eaten in an egg sandwich.
I also like poppers, slice them lengthwise, take out the seeds and webbing, stuff them with cream Cheese wrap them with a slice of bacon and bake them.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 451 Thanks
  • 855 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Well, the Jalapeno plant is in place now. I am going to stay simple and just go with the two for now.

I did find a really nice blog with Habanero recipe's. There are quite a few I will try out!
Habanero Pepper Recipes

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 554 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Funny a friend gave me several a couple years ago and i made Habanero Pepper Jellie was so hot i almost burned up making it. LOL But i gave it to friends for Christmas that Loved it. To Hot for me.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,747 Thanks
  • 44,530 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Might want to watch out the plastic planter doesn't melt. LOL Banana peppers are hot enough for me. Tried a small piece of a Habanero one time, never again.