• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi all, the fellow I bought my Power King project tractor from has a Simplicity 7790 diesel GT that he's trying to sell me, its been sitting a number of yrs, and he says it won't start or run I think he may have run it out of fuel and hasn't gotten the pump purged (he says it has fuel out of the lift pump to the injector pump) anyway how hard is it to purge the injector pump? I'm going to go take a closer look at it this sometime if we can get together.

#2 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 03:52 AM

Not sure if it works the same but on some of the older trucks we would break open each line at the injector while spinning the engine until we got fuel. Kind of bleed the air out. Always worked. Just one thought.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 05:40 AM

Like Greenbean said, crack open the line at the injectors and spin until it comes out. The Fuel pump has a hand prime lever on it, if you have about a day and a strong thumb, you can use that but its slow going.

I will go ahead and warn you, parts for that engine are available and are EXPENSIVE. You usually have to go through a dealer of some sort to get the parts. There are almost no parts available on the net. Also there isnt alot of info on the net about them either.

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hi thanks for the replies, yes I have already found that parts aren't readily available anywhere but thur Kohler dealers, that's one of the reasons I haven't jumped on this tractor, I just can't get overly excited about it, I'll look it over good and visit with the owner and see what I learn from him, and yes on the information on the net not a lot I did find a manual though so that's good.

#5 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 04:49 PM

I had the Allis variation of this tractor.  There is a set of rings used in the Mazda diesel from a car that are the same as the rings in the Lombardini diesel in these. You can get fuel and oil filters from Napa once you figure out the crossover number. You need to crack lines loose and make sure you have fuel to the pump, then fuel to the main injector(high pressure) pump, then at the injectors, cranking the engine till you have wet fuel at both injectors.  Then try to start the engine. They are a long lived engine if kept clean, they are bad for plugging up the tin work around the cylinder jugs with grass(espicaly if leaking oil), this will kill the temper in the rings and cause blow by(burning crankcase oil). You can do a ring job without pulling the engine as it breaks down like a snowmobile engine.  You can pull head, cylinder jug, then the piston head off the rod from the top end.  They are a unique diesel GT, more of a collectable now than a bonafide worker..   But many still do use the tractor for some work or plow days.   Mike

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hi, well I made a deal with the fellow on the 7790, have not picked it up yet but plan to in the next couple of days, good news I get a deck a 38" tiller and a dozer / plow blade with it, the not so good he said it didn't run out of fuel says it just stopped running. So it reaims to be seem what the problem is.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Good luck with your purchase and please let us know what you find out.

• MNGB said thank you

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:54 PM

A couple of pictures of it in the shop, been working on the Bolens so the 7790 is waiting.

HPIM2592.JPG HPIM2593.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 09:03 PM

That's quite the front bumper. Looks like it could be useful. 

• MNGB said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 05:17 AM

Nice looking unit. Could be a simple fix. What shuts the engine down in normal use?

• MNGB said thank you

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hi KennyP, there's a pull cable / button that moves a lever on the injection pump that stops fuel flow..

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Thanks! Was just wondering if that could have worked loose and shut it down. Maybe not.

• MNGB said thank you

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Not sure and anything is possible, right now I've been working on the Bolens 1050 I got with in a package deal, and I told my better half these were winter projects so she's been telling me that winter isn't here yet :poke:

I'm really hoping its something easy when I get into it

Edited by MNGB, September 25, 2016 - 09:32 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Sandy River Implement is a good source of parts for these.  They know the older Simplicity tractors very well.  Hope its something simple.   Mike

• MNGB said thank you

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Sandy River Implement is a good source of parts for these.  They know the older Simplicity tractors very well.  Hope its something simple.   Mike

Hi Mike do you have a link for Sandy River all I get are parks and etc in Oregon or a marine place in Maine