2 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Have 918 Allis that has been re-motored with a universal Kohler 10 hp.  None of the original wiring is being used as the motor has its own on/off switch and starter button.  The B+ from the regulator goes to the on/off switch which send power to the + side of the coil, - side of the coil to a condenser AND to the points.  To kill the engine you turn off the on/off switch.

Is there any reason I cannot come off the + side of the coil to the +side of an AMP gauge, then to the battery positive? 
This way I can see how much is being put to the battery. 

Needs a new ignition switch and solenoid when I find and install the correct 18 hp motor for this tractor they will be replaced.  As is the tractor and mower work great, just unhandy to start and stop the engine.  Have to have the seat safety switch bypassed as the on/off and start button cannot be reached from the seat.

Edited by chieffan, August 30, 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 02:13 PM

A voltmeter would be easier to install and still tell you how much charge is being put to the battery.

Mike

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Your right, it would.  Tractor has the AMP gauge installed already.  My Idea above won't work.  The battery will back feed power to the coil all the time.  Have to tie in at the B+ side of the on/off switch.  Can shut the tractor down with the  on/off switch.  Won't get a negative reading but will see how much is being put in.  Has a 30 AMP gauge.  May swap that out for a 15 or 20. Or may put in the volt meter I have.  Hum-m-m-m-m ?

Edited by chieffan, August 30, 2016 - 06:43 PM.