Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Auto insurance

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I used to have Allstate for years until I had an accident (went in to a turn to hot) and needed the bike towed.  I made it very clear road side assistance for the bike.  When it came time to pay up the himed and hawed tried their best to get out of it.  Started looking and around and went with USAA and haven't looked back.  It does pay to shop around and see what rates you can get.

• Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 08:59 AM

I've been with USAA since 1976 when it was for military officers only. Their rates were so much lower that other insurance companies didn't even try to compete with them. Now USAA has opened up to almost anybody with a military conection and are advertising alot. Their rates are still a little better than the competition.

I find that when I check in with USAA, they are willing to spend time with me going over all of my insurance concerns. I also found out this year that my state had lowered the minimum auto liability insurance requirements. They won't even cover replacing most cars. My policies were based on the states' minimums which are now about one quarter what they were ten years ago. I was grossly underinsured. To get back up to a reasonable level was only about $30 dollars per year more. We then talked about my retirement and how I was only putting less than 5,000 miles per year on my car. That dropped my insurance by $25 per year. My point is to not only shop around for companies but also for different polices within that company. Good Luck, Rick
  • Username said thank you

#18 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:39 AM

I have my insurance through a company called Farm Family, my parents use them also, it's not unrealistic for me to do 2 4,000mile oil changes in one year on my truck as it serves as my daily driver as well as my work truck. 

#19 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I have my insurance through a company called Farm Family, my parents use them also, it's not unrealistic for me to do 2 4,000mile oil changes in one year on my truck as it serves as my daily driver as well as my work truck. 

You would almost qualify for a low mileage discount with State Farm at 7500 miles a year.I am almost on my 4th 10,000 mile oil change this year on my truck and it's not my daily driver.

#20 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 01:13 PM

That was an interesting visit to State Farm.I complained about my rates going up on 2 cars and she checked her computer and said that they actually went down on all three cars.My statements clearly show that they increased.Raising my deductible to $500 and $1000 would have only saved me less than $300 so I left it where it was at least for now.I am curious if my complaint is the reason for the lower price.Right now with the CRV my insurance is just over $2000 a year so I am rather satisfied considering the 07 Denali is worth considerably more than the 02 that I replaced it with.I got a message from Allstate with a quote of $720 per year but that is likely for just liability with the lowest coverage required but might be worth checking into.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160830_135759.jpg

#21 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 01:43 PM

I've worked in a collision shop all my life and I can tell you that state farm is the best when it comes to vehicle repairs, it doesn't matter if your car is brand new or twenty years old, they will only use oem parts and won't cut corners on the repair. You pay more but your getting what you pay for, all the other companies will replace all the parts with generic parts that don't fit properly.

Edited by olds45512, August 30, 2016 - 01:44 PM.

• Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 02:07 PM

You would almost qualify for a low mileage discount with State Farm at 7500 miles a year.I am almost on my 4th 10,000 mile oil change this year on my truck and it's not my daily driver.

Yeah, but you have to remember I have only been driving on my own since April(long story don't ask, I will say it was my choice to wait, mostly for financial reasons) usually change my oil every 4 or 5 thousand miles, I have put over 400 miles on in august alone.

I've worked in a collision shop all my life and I can tell you that state farm is the best when it comes to vehicle repairs, it doesn't matter if your car is brand new or twenty years old, they will only use oem parts and won't cut corners on the repair. You pay more but your getting what you pay for, all the other companies will replace all the parts with generic parts that don't fit properly.

That's not as much of an issue in NY, as state law says you have the right to choose your repair shop not th insurance company.

#23 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 02:14 PM

That's not as much of an issue in NY, as state law says you have the right to choose your repair shop not th insurance company.

Same here in pa but that has nothing to do with what I wrote. No matter what state your in it is the insurance company that decides whether or not you get oem or generic parts, the shop doesn't make those decisions. State farm uses oem parts where the others use generic and the shop has no say so in the matter.
  • Username, boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#24 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:24 PM

I got a Drive Wise squealer for wifes car. So far her insurance dropped 8% with a ultimate goal of 30% reduction. Unfortunately my 2 vehicles ( a '91 and '41) lack the technology to support the device.  We used to change every few years but last time we told them we were shopping for better rate and current insurer offered to lower our rate. We also got a 10% discount for running snow tires and yes they needed to know the brand and date code off the tires.

• HDWildBill said thank you