#16 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 06:09 AM

I can only speak for myself when it comes to the issue of corporate reputations. I don't have any issue with Deere over their decision to jump into a market that must be fairly lucrative. The rest of their products stand on their own merits when it comes to comparing them to the competition. Farmers who have owned Deere products for many years are not going to go elsewhere for a new combine just because the current D Series LT's are not up to the same standards as the 316 or 420 they own. The same applies to the crowd that purchase excavators, dozers, wheeled loaders and scrapers. It seems to me that the only ones whining about the entry level Deere's are the ones who bought them and then used them as if they had a 316. To many of them, dropping upwards of 2 grand or so was a big deal and when you combine that price tag with the green and yellow paint, there is this expectation of the machine being bullet-proof.

But as Dan so rightly points out, the quality of components selected by Deere for the D-Series, isn't exactly head and shoulders above the ones used to build Cub Cadets or Husqvarna's. I think that most owners would be shocked into a catatonic state if they were shown two piles of parts that make up the tractor they bought. One pile would consist of all the items Deere buys from outside manufacturers and the other pile would consist of the items Deere actually makes in one of their own facilities. The latter pile would be quite small as it would likely consist of the bare frame of the tractor, the front axle and a bunch of special brackets.

Everything else is spec'd out to meet a certain price point in the marketplace. That's the way it is no matter which brand you buy. No manufacturer is going to build you a Cadillac for the same price as a Chevrolet.

#17 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 12:16 PM

The JD in the ad that pumpkin provided is a Sabre model. I'm not sure if they're a knockoff or were built by Deere but they were the same machines as the Scotts. I'll bet there's a good reason why they're an off color green and there's no yellow on them. The one's I've seen had a Sabre sticker on the hood so if anything I'd say someone replaced that sticker trying to make it a real JD.
1.jpg
  • Aussiedog said thank you

#18 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 12:52 PM

The JD in the ad that pumpkin provided is a Sabre model. I'm not sure if they're a knockoff or were built by Deere but they were the same machines as the Scotts. I'll bet there's a good reason why they're an off color green and there's no yellow on them. The one's I've seen had a Sabre sticker on the hood so if anything I'd say someone replaced that sticker trying to make it a real JD.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15159[/ATTACH]

The Sabre and Scotts were built by Deere in the same plant that builds the L/LA/D-series John Deeres. In fact, that the one picture in the ad looks like a Sabre is because, Deere used the same basic design concept that they had in the Scotts and the Sabres and incorporated it in the L-series. And the Sabres and the Scotts borrowed some of the design from Deere's earlier STX models and some of the GT models from the '90s. That one picture in the ad could very well be a Deere with a Sabre decks, rims and seat. Or it could be a Sabre model with a Deere hood and fender deck.
  • cp7 and Aussiedog have said thanks

#19 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 01:10 PM

CP7 is right. This is a "lawn tractor" as opposed to a higher quality "garden tractor" that also has the ability to take many other attachments. You shouldn't try to compare these light duty machines with more expensive, multi-purpose garden tractors. I know, because I own both types. My "lawn tractor" like the one being discussed is a Scotts manufactured by John Deere (its looks exactly like the JD and Saber versions but is orange). These lighter duty lawn tractors range in price from $1000 to $3000 depending on the type of engine, size of the mower deck, and on other options you can choose as you go from budget to luxury. I believe John Deere made these for Scotts from 1998-2001. My Scotts S1642 has a 42" deck, 16hp Kohler engine, and Tuff Torq K51A hydrostatic transmission. Because their hoods are made of plastic that might help explain the color difference from standard JD paint. JD didn't drop their quality on their garden tractor line, they just purposefully designed and engineered these lighter, less expensive mowing machines to meet the needs of their intended user. I have over 700 hours of hard use on my mine and only just recently had to replace the mower and drive belts, 2 mower deck pulleys and the transmission pulley. Total parts were about $150 but it now runs strong and cuts my couple of acres of grass like a champ every time.:yelclap:
100_0662.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0659.JPG