#1 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 10:56 PM

i saw this and just thought it looked odd im sure its a jd but the color green looks off and no yellow?

John Deere Riding Mower

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,354 Thanks
  • 29,091 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 01:05 AM

I think that is one of those box store knockoffs that they sell. Only thing about it that's truly a JD is the stickers.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:49 AM

i saw this and just thought it looked odd im sure its a jd but the color green looks off and no yellow?

John Deere Riding Mower

There can be all kinds of reasons for what you see. Color rendering can be affected by the type of light that is shining on the tractor or it could be a problem with the camera that took the photo. Perhaps it's partly the video card and/or monitor for your computer. I see that sort of thing happen with other brands of tractors quite often. As for the rims, maybe the Seller repainted them at some point. And just like you, I'm sure it is a Deere too.

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 04:57 AM

I think that is one of those box store knockoffs that they sell. Only thing about it that's truly a JD is the stickers.

I don't understand your statement.

ALL John Deere branded lawn and garden tractors are designed by engineers employed by John Deere and they are then manufactured inside a John Deere owned and operated plant. The term "knockoff " applies to products that bear the label of a company but in truth, are made by another company that has no legal authorization to produce that product.

I'm aware of knockoff Rolex watches, Prada and Gucci handbags and even clothing that bears the sports logos that have not been licensed but I'm unaware of anyone making "faked" copies of John Deere LT's. If you know something that the rest of us don't, then please expand on your comment and share.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 05:08 AM

It's definitely a JD. However, it looks like the seat has been replaced and I have never seen a black deck on one of those. If you were to look at it up close you may find that the deck has been painted.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,354 Thanks
  • 29,091 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:06 AM

I don't understand your statement.

ALL John Deere branded lawn and garden tractors are designed by engineers employed by John Deere and they are then manufactured inside a John Deere owned and operated plant. The term "knockoff " applies to products that bear the label of a company but in truth, are made by another company that has no legal authorization to produce that product.

I'm aware of knockoff Rolex watches, Prada and Gucci handbags and even clothing that bears the sports logos that have not been licensed but I'm unaware of anyone making "faked" copies of John Deere LT's. If you know something that the rest of us don't, then please expand on your comment and share.

What I meant was there are cheaper versions of every brand that seem to be marketed thru box stores only. The term was used both to express quality, but also to express how I feel about them. I guess the most disappointing thing about these tractors is that they Arent actually KnockOffs per above definition.

Sorry,, it was 2am and I could have been clearer in my statement.

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:36 AM

John Deere has produced some excellent garden tractors over the years but you have to ask yourself this question before you condemn them for making the L, LA and D Series machines. HOW many homeowners out there can afford a Deere GT? Even the X 300's start at around three grand to buy and they are STILL a lawn tractor according to Deere.

This has always been about "price point" since the inception of a lawn cutting device that you could plunk your fat butt onto and ride instead of walking. It's all about inflation because the $1000.00 GT with a deck and sleeve hitch of the 60's now costs $10,000.00 using the fiat money in circulation currently. 50 to 60 years ago, you could find the el cheapo riding mowers in hardware stores, outdoor power equipment dealers or at Montgomery-Wards for $150.00 to $300.00. All that's happened is an extra zero got tacked onto those prices but technology and improvements in manufacturing has given the purchaser a much better product for their money. Those old time riders were little more than a steerable mower deck with a seat mounted above the engine. As I see it, the consumer of today is getting a lot more for his hard-earned buck than his dad did back in the day.

A trip to almost any major tractor show in 2011 will reveal some of those old "riders" that just about broke your ass in half thanks to wheels so tiny they found every bump and hollow in your lawn. While I understand your lament, the fact is that those entry level Deere and Cub Cadet models you see in the big box stores are also available at any legit Deere or Cub dealer IF.....they choose to carry them. In addition, they sell in the high thousands compared to the more expensive X Series and 2ooo/2500/3000 Series. No matter what WE say on forums like this one, the public embraces the low cost LT's that have a shorter lifespan and limited capabilities. The adage that you get what you pay for certainly applies and that's a lesson you learn from experience.

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:39 AM

What I meant was there are cheaper versions of every brand that seem to be marketed thru box stores only. The term was used both to express quality, but also to express how I feel about them. I guess the most disappointing thing about these tractors is that they Arent actually KnockOffs per above definition.

Sorry,, it was 2am and I could have been clearer in my statement.

Your statement is still false and inaccurate. John Deere makes and sells the L-Series, the LA-series and now the D-series. They are sold in Home Depot, Lowes and at John Deere dealers. These are made as entry level tractors to compete against Sears and MTD made models, and they are of the same, if not superior, quality than the intended competition. The lack some of the features and some of the thicker materials and design of the "Select Series" John Deeres, but the quality compares favorably with the market they're intended for.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Your statement is still false and inaccurate. John Deere makes and sells the L-Series, the LA-series and now the D-series. They are sold in Home Depot, Lowes and at John Deere dealers. These are made as entry level tractors to compete against Sears and MTD made models, and they are of the same, if not superior, quality than the intended competition. The lack some of the features and some of the thicker materials and design of the "Select Series" John Deeres, but the quality compares favorably with the market they're intended for.

False and inaccurate seems a tad harsh.

I got the impression that MH81 was lamenting that Deere decided to put their name on a tractor series that competes at the bottom of the barrel.
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:09 AM

False and inaccurate seems a tad harsh.

I got the impression that MH81 was lamenting that Deere decided to put their name on a tractor series that competes at the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, you're probably right. I can agree wtih MH81 about his lamentations on Deere producing these tractors - I'm not fond of what is now called the D-series as there are some cost cutting measures in the design and build. So I do apologize to MH81, it's just that there is a lot of false information on these series, i.e. rumors and myths on who builds them, that they're only sold through box stores, that you can get discounts by buying through the box stores, etc. I guess I just let my frustrations on those type of false info that I was too harsh in my response. Sorry for that.

#11 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:45 AM

smalljd 002 (Small) (Custom).jpg
Guys, let me stick my big nose in the middle of this with this my little opinion.
About a year ago, I saw this tractor from the road with a for sale sign on it. The sign said 200.00. It needed the regulator plug replaced, it had a new regulator, but the plug on the tractor was burnt. The tractor ran good, the mower deck was good, and mowed good. I quickly jumped at the chance to buy it at that price. I simply saw the John Deere, the large frame, and wheels, and having seen the 300 series, I ASSUMED this tractor was similar. What did I get for my money? Vertical 17 hp engine, 8 speed manual trans, NO HYDRAULICS, NO HITCH, NO POWER ASSIST LIFT ON THE DECK, In other words not at all what I wanted or expected. What I did get is a fine, large area mower, that I can ride all day and not be wore out. Very dependable, and comfortable.

DID I GET SCREWED????? NO. DID I SCREW MYSELF????? YES, because what I had in mind was a hydraulic system, good power assist lift on rear, lots of ground engaging equipment potential.

Now comes the decision what to do with this machine. Do I give it a quick tune up, a new battery, and take it to the flea market to sell to sombody who will also be suckered in, or do I try to sell it for what it is, a large area, very comfortable mowing machine that does a super mowing job? Since I do a lot of business buying, selling, trading GTs around here, I will not missrepresent this machine, and will not use the practice of buyer beware, or "buyer Be Informed" I will try to get my money back, but to someone who understands what this machine is. Even if I have to part it out.

I DID NOT DO MY RESEARCH, OR HOMEWORK. AND THIS IS THE POINT OF THIS LITTLE BIT OF TYPING. Companies will always sell equipment any way they can, it's called CAPITALISM. If you do not do your homework, that is not their problem.
My wife and I want a new side by side UTV. But I cannot afford one. I will not buy a camo painted, lifted golf cart with aggressive tires because it looks like the same thing.

My opinion only, regards, George

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 12:04 PM

George,
I don't see how you screwed yourself by purchasing that tractor for two hundred bucks. That was a steal because all you had to do was replace a plug in the wiring harness to make it a working machine once more. It's worth that kind of money any day of the week. What is there for you to misrepresent? Gear drive tractors are not unusual and some people deliberately seek them out because they don't like hydrostatic drive. When you first looked at this tractor, I don't understand how you missed seeing that it was a gear drive tractor with an "Armstrong" implement lift. Perhaps you were so dazzled by the green/yellow paint along with the decal and the price tag that all those things did not jump out at you until you got it home. I understand completely. It happens but that's one of the ways we learn.

You should have no problem selling that tractor for MORE than what you currently have in it. Just tell people that it is a L-100 Deere and that model comes with a 8 speed manual transmission and a 17 hp engine. There is no need to tell anyone what it does NOT have. They can come, examine the tractor and then test drive it. If you have some lawn for them to mow, then so much the better. The final decision is theirs to make. It isn't up to you to 2nd guess what their needs are. You have a tractor for sale. It is what it is, end of story. If it does not suit them, then they are free to move on and find one that does suit them.

If there was no demand for gear drive tractors, then Deere, Craftsman and others would just stop building them. Any good salesman will point out the features of each model in the line of tractors they sell in the hopes of up-selling the customer to a more expensive unit. That too is capitalism and there is nothing wrong with it. But I certainly agree with you that everyone should do their homework in advance and so does the law agree or the Latin phrase Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware) would not exist.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,354 Thanks
  • 29,091 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 02:20 PM

So I do apologize to MH81...I guess I just let my frustrations on those type of false info that I was too harsh in my response. Sorry for that.

And I owe an apology to you, if my words seemed solely directed at JD... That was never my intent, we all pick a little at each other, but I would never slander the brand as a whole... it's reputation and longevity prove to to be a winning purchase regardless of what level one can afford.

My major hangup (and Hydrive is right here) is more of a lament of the situation that this level of build even is needed. I see it constantly in the appliance market. One 2-lettered brand in particular has long ago decided to leave behind any trace of their reputation intact by selling the cheapest stuff they can get away with and selling them with the company's good name on them... just hate to see the trend be here in our hobby as well. Not that these aren't quality machines, just that they aren't the quality that we are used to in this hobby.

Sorry for sounding like I was passing judgment on the Green and Yellow, not the case at all.

Have a great day, Alan

#14 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I was trying to point out that I saw all the pretty green paint, the overall good looks of the machin, and the Brand, and was completely dazzled. I think this dazzle extends to people who go by the big stores and see the sea of JD green spread out before them. That and the absolutely insane easy credit making it so easy to take a tractor home.
When I mentioned "suckered in" Having been around flea markets for several years, I have heard the phrase,"But Honey, look, I can mow, plow the garden, push snow, build and maintain the driveway, and do all the earthwork around the house!!!" when looking at a machine that is totally unsuitable for most of those jobs. This usually coming from a young couple who obviously does not have the money to waste/spend. I guess, because of my age, I want to save the world, tractor wise. LOL
Best regards, George

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,473 Thanks
  • 30,060 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:13 PM

I looked at Alan's post more as a personal opinion rather than a statement of fact. And I agree that JD let it's rep slip with the cheaper tractors. I do see why JD did it though, as most people run for the cheapest to get the job done. JD knew with their badges on a cheaper mower that people would come in droves to buy them, which did indeed happen. Shortly thereafter, many found them to be no better than many cheaper makes, which harmed JD's reputation to at least some extent. With more knowledgeable people, their rep was hurt much more. It would have happened to many other makes of tractors, had they stayed in business, not been bought out (then abandoned), or just got out of the lawn mowing market altogether.
I may poke at JD for fun, but the old ones were/are solid as nails and will last forever maintained.