9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 08:59 AM

Went to an auction yesterday to look at a White GT with deck and 3 point.  Nice looking tractor but went for more than I wanted to pay, $550.  Got down to an Allis 918H w/PS and deck.  Little faded but other than that it looked good.  Motor changed to a 10 hp Kohler.  Bad battery and wouldn't start.  Been inside when not in use.  Got it for $225 including all the paperwork from the day it was sold new.  02-19-2000 for $5700.  Put a booster pack on it and it fired right up.  Drove it on the trailer.  Hour meter shows 348 but don't think it has been working since the engine change.  48" deck is good but a little big for a 10hp.  Take a narrower swath.

Prices were crazy both ways. HF 4" angle grinder $15.  New with coupon for $5
Good carry type tool box with several small hand tools $5.

Kawasaki Voyager, 1989 25K miles.  Been inside stored for over a year.  Just had $1800 work done on it just before it was stored.  Owner developed balance problems and it fell over pinning him and he put it up.  Started and ran - $700.  A steel  Another Case 222LT with deck and light weight snow blower and 2 - 80 lb IH weights, ran - $1500.

An so goes the auctions.  918H R Side.JPG    918H L Side.JPG

918H Front.JPG    918H Rear.JPG

Right side shows the different starting set up that was probably the original on the replacement motor.  On/Off switch for ignition and heavy starter switch to activate the starter.  Ignition switch was full of dirt and would not turn.  Got it cleaned up good and back in working condition.  Advantage of cheap plastic ignition switches.  Now to get that hooked back up like it is supposed to be with the key start and all.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Good looking Allis, you going to find the correct engine and drop in it?

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Awesome deal!  That's a superb machine for mowing, and any garden work.  Power Steering is highly sought after.  I would agree that the repower might be a little light for the machine.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Nice score! What was the original engine?

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,467 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Was that big Briggs single or twins by this time?  If Briggs will be Mag key and if you have Kohler batt ignition, key won't work for that.  I recently worked on a Simplicity similar, and man what a pain to get everything out to work on. Removing dash, gas tank and other things is needed to see much of the workings. Make sure you get correct manual here, many to choose from and some differences on similar models. BUT, that might not matter now with changes.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 187 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like a good deal other than the repower.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 05:46 PM

Good looking All is, you going to find the correct engine and drop in it?

Nice score! What was the original engine?

Original engine was a Kohler 18 hp and hope to run across one.  I have a 16hp on hand with a bad stator but that is not the original.  this tractor is in good enough condition it is worthy of the 18hp original.   Larger horizontal shaft engines in this neck of the wood are getting hard to come by.  took it out and mowed a little with it this evening before another shower.  Cut wet grass just fine.  Can't wait to see what it will do in good conditions.  Rain popping up all around us and no wind to move them.  Bummer.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Was that big Briggs single or twins by this time?  If Briggs will be Mag key and if you have Kohler batt ignition, key won't work for that.  I recently worked on a Simplicity similar, and man what a pain to get everything out to work on. Removing dash, gas tank and other things is needed to see much of the workings. Make sure you get correct manual here, many to choose from and some differences on similar models. BUT, that might not matter now with changes.

Has a Kohler 10 hp but supposed to be an 18 hp. I have not found the correct manual for this tractor as yet.  The manuals I have seen so far show additional module that is not on this tractor.  Haven't looked at the whole service manual for the 900 series so it my have the correct manual.  Need to make sure the ignition switch is making the right contact at the right time first.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,467 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 03:14 AM

My late Power Kings have module for all the safety switches, won't run w/out it, as in bypassing. 90s era.

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 04:37 AM

Theres a guy locally with an 18hp command from a sovereign...ill ask if he still has it.