24 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 10:37 AM

It's been over 30 yrs since I tilled gardens so as you say things have changed.  And pricing can vary by region and competetion quite a bit

I would as others said start on an hourly rate. And you have to figure at least an hour on any job. Even working in town where your a few blocks from the next job  you have to consider loading and unloading time plus driving between jobs so you will kill most of an hour even on a 10 minute job(set a minumum of 1 Hour).  Yeah I know it is fun but you have to consider wear and repiar and or replacment of your equipment.

My lawn care business went broke when my equipment was used up and I had not banked enough for replacement by not charging enough.  So don't work too cheap!

There is a thing in business I call Percieved Value. When one works too cheap the customer does not value your work. You may not even get the job if the customer thinks you doing sub-standard work based on your low price?

When you charge a fair and reasonable price(based on your market) and do good work the customer will feel like they have recieved a good deal for your work.

Back in the early 80's I did lawn care for a very wealthy woman who was very cheap. I had finished mowing her lawn and she came out and asked me to pull weeds from her flower garden. I told her I got $10 an hour to do that. She said she thought that was an awful high price. I told her if I was not worth $10 an hour I would rather go fishing.  She said give me $5.00 worth of weed pulling?

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 03, 2014 - 10:42 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 12:32 PM

JD, from what I've seen, and a LOT I've heard, the wealthy are the tightest of all!  When I did cycle/atv repair on the side, I made the same mistake of not charging enough.  That caused me to burn out on bothering.  Working yourself to death only leads to an early death, both the business & quite possibly one's self!!  

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#18 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 03, 2014 - 01:44 PM

JD, from what I've seen, and a LOT I've heard, the wealthy are the tightest of all!  When I did cycle/atv repair on the side, I made the same mistake of not charging enough.  That caused me to burn out on bothering.  Working yourself to death only leads to an early death, both the business & quite possibly one's self!!

Olecowhand

your 100% CORRECT. might be easier to set prices from the beginning and stick to it, rather than be a nice guy who comes in last, all the time.

Edited by rdehli, April 03, 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 04:09 PM

As my employer always says, "You can always negotiate down, but it's hard to charge more"

#20 Jmotuzick ONLINE  

Jmotuzick
  • Member No: 54567
  • 33 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 02:16 PM

I've got 3 regular tilling customers. the first is a larger plot mdd up of 10x10 smaller plots it takes me about 2-3 hours to till the whole thing twice then move to another place and do about 5 more of these "plots" i normally get around $300 for this. 

the other two are next door neighbors i get $50 for the smaller one and $75 for the larger in about 2 hours time i get them both done with plenty of BS time as one of them likes to "help". all in all not bad for a Saturday when its nice out and i'm just 'Playing" on my cub cadet!

#21 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Joe

good for you

#22 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:57 AM

I will just add this little tidbit of information...................I have a 48" Simplicity Mechanical tiller that I use behind my JD430.  I have used it a good bit since I bought it last Spring and I am getting ready to replace the tines on it.........to the tune of almost 600 bucks.............that is a LOT OF TILLING jobs to turn a profit.  I used it primarily in my Community Garden but did till several plots this year for hire.  By the time I figure travel time and fuel, and fuel, wear and tear on the machinery.............I am not sure I want to start "tilling for hire"...........lol

#23 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 27, 2014 - 11:19 AM

I will just add this little tidbit of information...................I have a 48" Simplicity Mechanical tiller that I use behind my JD430.  I have used it a good bit since I bought it last Spring and I am getting ready to replace the tines on it.........to the tune of almost 600 bucks.............that is a LOT OF TILLING jobs to turn a profit.  I used it primarily in my Community Garden but did till several plots this year for hire.  By the time I figure travel time and fuel, and fuel, wear and tear on the machinery.............I am not sure I want to start "tilling for hire"...........lol

Robert

Iam right with you, nobody understand the cost of these machines, but how do you charge accordingly?.

#24 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well...............first off I have never really been in the "for hire" group........all three gardens that I tilled this year were referrals or "accidents"

The big garden that I plowed and tilled was about 30X40......took me and CJ maybe an hour to plow (probably closer to 30 minutes) and then I went back about two weeks later and tilled it. Took me all of about an hour and i made about 8 passes across the garden in different directions.  (I find it a LOT easier to till if it has been PLOWED first rather that trying to till hard sod laden ground)  I charged her 100 bucks.

The second garden that I tilled was a guy that just happened to catch me while I was at the community garden tillng. He was at the lake fishing and walked over and ask if I would till his garden for 20-30 bucks.....he said that it was about 20X20.  I went by his house on my way home that afternoon and made two passes across his garden and he was ESTATIC.  Charged him 20 bucks.

The last garden that I tilled belongs to my wife's aunt and her best friend. They had paid a guy 200 bucks to till it...........about 30X40.  It took him TWO days to till it with a walk behind tiller and it was only tilled about 3-4 inches deep.  I retilled it and expanded it to about 40X60 and it is tilled a full 7-8" deep.  Took me about an hour or so and charged her NOTHING.............told her "Next time, hire someone that KNOWS what they are doing".......lol She said she would be calling me next time.

I have actually thought about trying to get into plowing and tilling this fall and have been thinking about doing it on a Square footage rate with a minimum charge. Still debating on a mileage charge as well.  The Aunt was about 30 miles south of me and gas adds up QUICK pulling my enclosed trailer and tractor around.

Edited by Robert Webb, April 28, 2014 - 07:59 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#25 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:44 AM

driving around town with the tractor tilling gardens is fun and easy money , but when you have to trailer the tractor 10-15-20 miles or more it gets expensive.