#1 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:39 AM

OK, well I've been thinkin about using the 920 make a little cash on the side and was think tilling and plowing would be a decent way to make a little extra beer money.

The tiller would be on the 920(After I get the rear lift figured out) and I'd put the plow on the Big Ten or one of the Bolens.

How would one go about figuring up some reasonable rates to charge.

The old man used to do this back in the 80's and early 90's but as you all know times have changed.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:50 AM

I guess it would all depend on the size of the area you are going to till/plow......

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 10:44 AM

I am thinking a per hour fee might be a good option. Just make sure you cover the cost of gas and wear on the equipment. Once you do a couple and can maybe accurately time how long it takes to do so many sq yards then you could give prices per size.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I found one ad for garden tilling/plowing. The guy charges $40 per hour (1hr minimum) but is using a 2 bottom plow & what looked like a 50" tiller, so he might get the job done quicker. I'd say not less than $25/hr or it wouldn't pay to do. Most gardens would take less than an hour to plow & same to till. So a small garden would be $50 to prep for seed. Not a bad deal at all really. $30/hr might be more like it. After all, it's your time PLUS the cost of equipment & fuel.
GARDEN ROTOTILLING/FIELD PLOWING

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 11:25 AM

I agree on the $30 an hour rate, once you do a couple you could log the time it took with the size of the garden and get an average and then you can give prices on size instead as a lot of people do like to know what the total cost is gonna be right up front.

#6 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 11:52 PM

I'll probly do that and get some good time estamates and go from there. Now I just got to get the rear lift figured out on the 920 as it has none.

#7 Merk OFFLINE  

Merk

• Member No: 846
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 04:01 PM

I charge a minimum of $25 to plow a garden. Most gardens I plow are in driving distance with my Cub Cadet. I get minimum of $50 if I have to drive more than 10 miles. My garden takes the longest to plow (60 X 40). Most gardens are 20-30 feet wide X 40 feet long.

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a 36" tiller on my Ford......I charge $40 hr, min one hr........I will work at a small garden for an hour though to make sure its tilled well...No one has complained that I am too expensive........I get a lot of people that want a new garden dug up that was sod or grass.......hard on the tiller. I am looking for a plow for my other Ford for that.

#9 Oldeerethanme OFFLINE  

Oldeerethanme

• Member No: 2297
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 07:17 AM

I charge per square foot when I till gardens here in New York. Depending on the soil I'm tilling weather it's sod or existing garden, I charge between 20 and 40 cents a SF up to 500 sf and less over 500 plus 1 dollar per mile to show up( considering the fuel prices now this may go up this year). I've had a few people complain about being high priced but after they rent a tiller and beat themselves up for a few hours with poor results, they usually call me back.

#10 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 02:49 PM

I think I may offer garden plowing at $25 a hour, min 1 hr. Might have add some sort of distance before I start charging to drive there. Will keep you all updated.

#11 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Charge the same as the Old Mann
He knew what he was doing
Most of your customers will be poor and widows
If you need to go up to get a 12pak instead of a 6pak
Go up a little
I like green.
I Love Restored Iron.
:bump:

#12 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 04:27 PM

I now have a plow and tiller....I also went from $40 to $60...no complaints

Posted Image

#13 Hillbilly53 OFFLINE  

Hillbilly53

• Member No: 8362
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have a couple of Troy Bilt tillers and I get $50.00/minimum. Tool rental companies around here charge $65.00 for rear tine rental. When you tell your client to call the tool rental place they are usually very happy to pay that price and believe it or not, I usually get a $10.00/20.00 tip! I do a very good job. Use my tiller depth bar a couple of notches at a time and till both directions, and when I'm done the depth bar is all the way up and I have my customer inspect the job. Also have a Mantis tiller for very tight areas. I got into a situation last year where the garden was fenced right up to the border. Was very difficult to till the corners with the Horse that I had brought with me. It won't happen again, with that little Mantis going with me on every trip. Another thing I do is to ask questions...Lots of questions. Size? Flat/hillside? Rocks? New/old ground? (Lots of new homes and developments that have very little topsoil) Things like that. Really helps to know what you're getting into before getting into it. I must be doing something right because I have repeat customers.
[ATTACH]29576[/ATTACH]
Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• tillers tillers tillers 001.jpg

Edited by Hillbilly53, February 07, 2012 - 08:50 PM.

• karl said thank you

#14 jeffy1 OFFLINE  

jeffy1
  • Member No: 55243
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 10:58 PM

I have a pull behind tiller and plow for my 18 hp craftsman I charge by sq/ft 5 cents if it's been tilled before and 10 cents a sq/ft if it hasn't been with a $35 minimum that usually avgs about $50/hr for me and I get all the gardens I can handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 03, 2014 - 05:25 AM

I till a frw gardens up here in my spare time, mostly elderly couples, and young families. Most gardens here are the size of a 1 car garage. 14 x 24 or maybe a bit larger. I usually get $20.00 -$25.00 per garden, I have 2 customers that have tiny gardens just for fresh eating maybe 6 foot x 10 foot, I drive the tractor to both of these, I may be cheap but, but I cannot over charge. I get 4 10.00 for these.