• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 01:17 PM

This one was built in 1950. Don't know if I can get a good picture and measurements of the crank or not. I've got a manual somewhere that I'll scan for you too.

• Gtractor said thank you

#32 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Here is the serial tag.  With everything that sold that was supposed to have a crank, you were supposed to ask about a crank when you paid. I was a little late getting there and missed the announcements.   They didn't mention the crank thing when this Kinkade sold so I never thought about it. The guys I helped by hauling their tractors mentioned they got a crank that didn't go with the tractor they bought.  They went back to the cashier and traded for one that would work on theirs. 

Anyhow,  I didn't get a crank and my Standard Twin crank won't work.   Cant be too hard to make one so I'll be on that later today. 

No where during the sale did they mention which garden tractors ran and which didn't.  Only thing I know is its not locked up.  Looks like it could very well be a runner but I'll have to get a crank made and check for spark first thing.

I'll start another thread about it for Al [and others]

attachicon.gifKinkade 6.jpg

Hmm, I went through the same thing with the crank. I bought the big Planet jr and the crank they gave me first was way to small for the engine. Later on when we were loading the correct one showed up, but by that time most people were already gone and there really wasn't any one to get this smaller one back to. ill have to get a picture of it. its green and that's about all I know .

#33 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Did anybody keep track of the sale prices? I'd like to know what the Shaws brought and also the Peters. Maybe a few others would be nice too.

#34 802EconJD OFFLINE  

802EconJD
  • Member No: 83969
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:27 AM

I would be interested in knowing what the early Economy and the Country Squires went for if anyone knows

#35 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:48 AM

The Peters brought 2 grand   --  THAT one I can remember!

• DougT said thank you

#36 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 08:56 AM

The Peters brought 2 grand   --  THAT one I can remember!

Dang!! Maybe I should work a little harder at getting mine together??  Did you get any pictures?

• Lauber1 said thank you

#37 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Did you get any pictures?

As per legal council, I've been advised not to answer that question for fear of warning points   :(

• Lauber1 said thank you

#38 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:24 AM

You don't have to worry about warning points. Let's see, where's that big red button???   :rolling:  :poke:

• Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks

#39 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Guess I failed once again. 

Are the drive wheels [pinion] rubber on the Peters?  I didn't look real close but it looked like they were rubber and deteriorated to where they wouldn't work anymore.  ????

My book says they were made in the '30's.  It looked much older than that. 

#40 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:10 AM

They were rubber and friction drive on the inside of the wheels. I heard it had one wheel broke and that's what is wrong with mine. Those big thin cast spokes probably didn't hold up real well. I'm also missing an engine mount but I think it could be machined with a good mill. I was thinking mid to late 20s. They used a PB Briggs. Don't think I've ever seen an ad with the P. That one and mine were the only 2 we know of.

• Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks

#41 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 06:59 PM

I didn't keep track of prices, I started to but there was just to much going on all the time. The Beeman Jr went for 2200, which I thought was plenty. I bought all the PJ tractors, but the little super tuffy, and my friend got it. Some stuff went high some went normal and then the DB attachments all went for around 100 a pc, but one seeder that only went for 85,  I thought them over priced s they were bad rusty, missing tags, and incomplete. There was an engine collector there buying walkers for their PB engines and not wanting the tractors. It was a pretty good clean sales, without any drama, that I saw. Only one palets of stuff was marked no sale which on a sale this big that was a record.

#42 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I noticed the to next to last PJ you bought had the front rotary cultivator for the Super Tuffy with it.  That stuff happens at every sale.

At lease it was with a tractor of the correct brand. 

Edited by Gtractor, September 26, 2016 - 08:41 PM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#43 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:51 PM

I noticed the to next to last PJ you bought had the front rotary cultivator for the Super Tuffy with it.  That stuff happens at every sale.

At lease it was with a tractor of the correct brand. 

ya that tiller was the reason I came to the sale, as they had it listed as a green tiller. in its picture it was upside down, and I knew right away it was a tiller for the push model I had, and was in a lot better shape. Now since I use a lot of my tractors and don't just put them on a shelf, I decided I need to go buy this. As I researched this auction and had my spies go look and take pictures of stuff before hand, I discovered that there were many walking tractors not pictured, including the big FT Planet jr. So about 2 weeks ahead, I decided I wanted to go and buy all the PJ's I could, and that exactly what happened. One of my friends got the Tuffy for his greenhouse, as I didn't even want to go into that line of small units. Another one of my farmer friends wanted one of the PJ walkers, so I sold it to him for what I paid for it just an hour or so before. I didn't make a dime or even asked for one, just helped out a lot of people get where they wanted to be.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#44 OLDIRONLINDY OFFLINE  

OLDIRONLINDY

• Member No: 6596
  • 82 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 08:08 AM

I was very disappointed that this sale was not on Proxibid. Nixon's web sight advertised online bidding but then auction day came and there was nothing online.... I would have made more of an effort to get to the sale had I known. Did anyone catch what the Pony amusement park tractor brought? I really would like one of those in my collection. Also interested in what the Bantams brought. Thanks!

#45 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:32 AM

Yellow Bantam was $900.   Orange one with front drive was somewhere around $775. 

Bantam all apart on a pallet was $500. 

I would have liked to have the front drive kit removed and offered separately as I have the front mower but no way to run it on my tractor. 

I noticed that several of the more desirable walking tractors weren't pictured in the sale ad.  Guess they were packed away and hard to get to when the auction was written up.  I like Nixon Auction, they are a good an honest outfit but I believe someone dropped the ball on pictures in this case.  The seller was up in years and maybe couldn't get everything out for pictures.  With todays internet advertising, virtually everything offered should have a picture

As for Proxbid, maybe the internet didn't come in at the sale location?  Things like that happen. Couple of months ago Nixon had a sale just about 2 miles from me. There was no internet bidding clearly posted on that sale bill because it was known there was no internet access at the site.

• Alc, Lauber1 and OLDIRONLINDY have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale