• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,643 Thanks
  • 28,302 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:43 PM

Yep, 25 kva, downgraded to 10 kva. 10 vs. 25 batteries.

Looks like an out of spec charger or high load draw?

#32 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,757 Thanks
  • 3,233 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Technician said it was bad batteries from the manufacture, They no longer use batteries from them.

#33 secondtry OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83632
  • 255 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Many years ago I owned a Ford Maverick. Driving with an unsecured battery Turning into a parking lot to fast the battery bounced out of the holder and grounded the + to the exhaust manifold. The car quit instantly. When I looked under the hood I found the battery lodged between the fender well and the manifold, grounded out. I put the battery back in its proper place, It was totally dead but looked fine. Got a jump and drove home about 15 miles. The battery was still totally dead. Put the charger on it, no response, meter movement, spark, nothing. While checking connections I notice meter movement on the charger when I push down on the  + post, release it, back to 0. I find the + post is melted loose internally. I drill down through the center of the post with a cheep 1/4" bit until it jambs, release the bit from the chuck and leave it wedged there. Use a 4" grinder to cut the bit off flush with the top of the post. Put the battery back in the car, no further charging. It starts up fine. Used that battery for many years. My conclusion is, ventilation is very important. If the battery had been under heavy charge at the time, producing gas- it may have exploded. Without gas the battery just melted down, no explosion.   Don

#34 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:15 AM

I see that all the time in my line of work (golf cars). Happens more and more in the winter. The 72 Volt systems can get pretty scary when multiple go.

• MH81 said thank you