Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere stx38 pto just quit while I was mowing. This is what I've troubleshooted so far.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Texas6023 OFFLINE  

Texas6023
  • Member No: 84430
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 12:34 PM

John Deere stx38 electric pto toggle switch was engaged and mower blades just quit in the middle of mowing my lawn. I've removed the pto switch and checked for continuity and shows switch is good. I started mower again and engine will start up but when I engaged pto toggle switch the blades did not turn. I looked below while I had seat switch pressed down and engaged the pto and the clutch pulley does spin but isn't catching the belt. Is the belt supposed to have some tension against the clutch pulley in order for the clutch pulley to engage the blades? Is the belt bad stretched? A busted spring maybe? Any ideas?

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 05:47 PM

My L130 did that, was the idler tension spring had one end break off. Whole spring was like new, yet must have worn thru the hook where it goes into a hole in the deck. Dealer was about $7 for new one. Put it on, and good to go again.

#3 Texas6023 OFFLINE  

Texas6023
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 12:11 AM

Looked on all sides of the deck. I can see two springs. Both look to be in good condition. Nothing is broke. Nothing has worn through metal. The only thing I can see that would help if there was more tension on the spring towards the chute.. But this could also be a stretched belt? Belt doesn't look cracked too bad so thinking something is going on with the springs. How many springs should I have?

#4 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:21 AM

Make sure all deck hangars are in the proper place. I had one come lose and let the belt slack.  Don

#5 Texas6023 OFFLINE  

Texas6023
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Well I'll be damned. Found the problem. I guess it is a deck hanger? It's the metal piece that spring is attached to closest to the chute.. Either way the bolt loosened and the metal piece where spring is attached spun around and released tension in spring and caused the belts to slack. Either way. Easy fix and little mower still keep chugging along.

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 12:35 AM

I love it when a plan comes together.   Don