Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Road trip to CT yesterday for an old Gard'n Mast'r Jr. tractor.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 PeterRoss OFFLINE  

PeterRoss
  • Member No: 83937
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:11 PM

Boat hauler

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Titus and classic have said thanks

#17 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hello Peter, I think I noticed your tractor when it was for sale. I'm restoring a JS model, basically the same as these, but it has a Briggs engine, taller hood, and a hand crank to start it. The serial numbers on our JR models are pretty close, but the only way I know of to tell the year of manufacture is to check the engine serial number. Mine has the wrong engine in it, so I can't look mine up. There really isn't too much info out there regarding these tractors, but I have found some info over the last couple of years. They are great little machines to run around and have a unique feel to them. Correct tires are usually hard to find. I've seen these tractors with 6-16 and 7-16 rear tires. Goodyear Super Sure Grip and B.F. Goodrich Super-Hi Cleats were the ones. The front tires were made by General in models Jumbo Jr. 14x4.50-6 and Safety Rib 5.30/4.50-6. There could be more tires that were sold on these tractors, but this is what I've seen in brochures and ads. I sure wish there were more people talking about these tractors on a regular basis, but they are oddballs. I was't actively looking for another, but I couldn't pass this one up. I just have to find a Wisconsin AKN engine now. I may build one from a bare block since I have the gear reduction unit and crankshaft, so it looks like another fun project ahead. That's a great idea using the tractor to pull sailboats around. People must wonder what that strange looking little tractor is.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and PeterRoss have said thanks

#18 PeterRoss OFFLINE  

PeterRoss
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Jim.
It sure does draw attention.
Very eager to follow your progress, hoping to learn much about the tractor along the way.
What do the serial numbers on the build plate mean? Or how are they read?

#19 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 11:06 AM

You're welcome, Pete. I really don't know how the serial numbers are deciphered on these machines. As far as the engine goes, just Google Wisconsin engine serial number dates and you can find out what year the engine was built. All this really does is tell you that the tractor was built after this date. At this point, I'm working on a couple of different tractors, but I will do some work on this one as time permits. Locating a Wisconsin AKN flywheel shroud with a good clean tag will take some time, though.
  • PeterRoss said thank you

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the reply Jim.
It sure does draw attention.
Very eager to follow your progress, hoping to learn much about the tractor along the way.
What do the serial numbers on the build plate mean? Or how are they read?

Peter, Welcome to GTT. I think that you will find that old GTs are following the rest of our economy. Good Luck, Rick
  • classic and PeterRoss have said thanks

#21 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Classic , congrats on your new find. The GM line of tractors is a favorite of mine. I always look for manuals and stuff at shows but hardly ever find any. So now you have two of them. A year or so ago I saw what was supposed to be an authentic orchard version of this tractor at the Portland, IN swap meet and it had a Gardenall decal on the front of the hood. I haven't figured out the usage of the two different names yet. I couldn't quite make out the model # of your tractor from the pic of the tag. Hope to see more posts about your new find soon.

Edited by lrhredjb, September 15, 2016 - 12:35 PM.

• classic said thank you

#22 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Irhredjb. This tractor is stamped JR on the tag, and I believe that it should have a Wisconsin AKN engine in it. I just need to find an AKN engine to rebuild for it at some point. I'll be gathering up the rebuild parts while I search for a good rebuildable engine. Luckily this tractor doesn't have any real rust issues or water in the gear boxes. It will be much easier to restore than some of the very rough condition machines I've brought home. This tractor was originally the typical green color, but was then painted light blue, yellow, then red. The guy that I picked it up from didn't know any real history about it. He picked it up from a guy who buys and sells, and all that he could tell me was that it sat in a barn for a long time.I have looked over the pics of the orchard model and that is a pretty unique looking machine. It would be great to see some early original photos of one. I like any of these old over built tractors. The fact that companies actually built some of them with salvaged auto parts puts a smile on my face. This is something that we will most likely never see happen again.

#23 PeterRoss OFFLINE  

PeterRoss
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Jim,
If you are interested in another Jr., give me a shout.
The poor little machine is in the wrong environment in the glass shop.
  • Titus said thank you