5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:57 AM

This tractor has the Onan BF MS 16 hp engine.  There is a fuel pump mounted to the back side of the carb.  When I got it there was an external fuel pump in line from the tank to the carb.  bottom of the fuel tank site about 6" lower than the carb.  Is the fuel pump on the carb a push only type pump or does it have enough lift to draw the fuel up the 6" required to use the bottom 1/3 of the tank?  Service manuals don't say anything about this, only the repair and cleaning.

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:48 PM

The tractor was originally designed to work. If the fuel tank and carb are original and in the original positions it should work. If it has been modified the simplest solution is to return it to original. I have a 6/18 I bought cheep because it wouldn't run. It had people working on it who didn't know much and didn't care to learn. Destroyed the fuel pump on the carb replaced it with an electric, Re assembled the carb wrong and still couldn't make it run. If you accept that the original engineers and designers knew what they were doing you will find things much easier. Look in the manuals section for the appropriate manual and follow it is your best bet.   

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 01:04 PM

If the pump is good, it has plenty of power to pull the gas. One of my Onans has the carb mounted pump. My others have a fake pump on the side of the carb and the real pump is mounted on the side of the blower housing. Weird, but true...

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 02:13 PM

"Fake" pump?

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 03:21 PM

Mine had the PLATE on carb, one lead in.  The fuel pump was similar design and was mounted on the shrould outer side on right side of tractor. The vac line came thru shroud from inside at crankcase, thru it and into the pump. It leaked all over the place and pulled oil out of case. I went and got a Briggs generic plastic one and mounted same place, same line of case, new lines to carb. Worked better, but is still wanting to pull oil some from case and drips out a breather element on the pump. I've never heard much good about the carb mounted pumps.

#6 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 04:00 PM

"Fake" pump?

Looks like a fuel pump on side of carb but is empty and acts as a blanking plate.