• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 264 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Some guy bought a real nice simplicity broad more 3? With mower deck. He had a 4x4 with ramps. He hook d the deck at the top of ramps, popped the clutch and flipped it! It came down on the left side and bent the hell out of the steering, fender and hood, probably other damage. He didn't get hurt but he did a lot of damage to a very nice tractor.
  • MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#2 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:48 AM

That's why I almost always take my 4X8 tilt bed trailer, even if I have to remove a deck it's much safer, not too keen on tractors on pickups.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:01 AM

People just don't THINK !

I was traveling to Columbus yesterday on RT 70 and saw a guy with an 8n with 3 pt back-blade chained to a 25-30 foot tall tree  :(  guess who will win ?

Glad he wasn't hurt, we ALL need to pay attention to these common mistakes and LEARN from them.

Thanks for posting.

• MH81, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:12 AM

I refuse to put anything in my pickup bed that can't be lifted out.   Seen way too many people get hurt driving on or off ramps on pickups, and I will never be one of them.

• TheFarm2004, MH81, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:27 AM

Nearly flipped my Panzer driving up a trailer ramp that was a bit to steep that would have been hurtful for sure, never again I now own a winch.
  • MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:38 AM

When I took the Sears DLT up to Wichita, I backed up to the neighbors burm and had the ramps nearly level. At my son's house, he had a wide deep ditch. Drove the Dodge down in the ditch and backed up to his drive. Again, the ramps were nearly level. Made it easy. Otherwise, we would have been rolling it down the ramps. Rather see the tractor get dents than someone under it!

• MH81, Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have a stone boat made out of an old chunk of sheet steel that we used to haul manure on, ( old story, time's past). Anyhow, if I have to take Little John anywhere not too far but too far to ride him, I just drive him onto the stone boat, chain him down, hook up to the Chevy 1/2T and slowly drag him where ever. I hate driving up a ramp onto a pick up!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:43 AM

I have a 7 X 12 low profile tilt bed with winch.  Two tractors, one with a 42" deck will fit between the fenders.  Lot easier and safer.  I have loaded on others pickups in my drive.  Use 10' - 2 x 8 with a 6 x 6 block under the center on end.  One end has hole in it for anchoring to my work table.  I put that at the bottom and drive a landscape spike into the gravel drive.  Only had one incident.  The buyer insisted on driving it into his pickup.  Put it in hi side 1st and started up.  Stopped half way and looked at both sides, dumped the clutch and the rear wheel spun out and off the ramp.  Nothing hurt but I drove it on after that and won't let anyone else drive up the ramps either.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:12 PM

I never drive on the tractor up ramps, I will let the tractor drive itself up and just stand there to guide or push.  my dad rides his tractor up on the trailer, only about 2' of the ground and even that makes me uncomfortable.  I personally flipped a wheeler of my truck ramps when I was a kid, fortunately I was still geared up for riding and didn't get hurt to much.

Pete

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 01:15 PM

What's even worse is when a motorcycle is ridden up a ramp into a pick up bed

• Gtractor said thank you

#11 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 03:04 PM

FIL bought 5 foot long ramps for his full size 4X4 to load a 4 wheeler.  He promptly flipped the 4 wheeler over on top of him ripping the front rack clear off the ATV and really messed up the rear rack. He also broke the headlight and cracked the fenders, not to mention the self inflicted pain he caused himself. 

The 8 foot ramp was $20 more.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

My pickups tailgate hits me just below the knee when its open. 

• MH81 said thank you

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:39 PM

I have a stone boat made out of an old chunk of sheet steel that we used to haul manure on, ( old story, time's past). Anyhow, if I have to take Little John anywhere not too far but too far to ride him, I just drive him onto the stone boat, chain him down, hook up to the Chevy 1/2T and slowly drag him where ever. I hate driving up a ramp onto a pick up!

I like your thinking :thumbs: I picked up a 1650 Cub earlier this year and it wouldn't roll not running and I needed it a good distance from the unloading point. Yep I used a big hood off an old Buick that we've moved stones with for years around here and towed it back !

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:10 PM

If I don't have a ditch to back into, I use ten foot 2x8s with a vertical 2x4 screwed to the bottom to add section and stop the bowing with ramp ends bolted to them. Like Pete, I don't ride it up, I just guide it. I've rode up before but I don't want to add another 250 pounds to the load on the ramps. I have a 2500 Ram and the tailgate is over waist high. I have a 16 foot tandem trailer, but I don't usually get it out to haul a small tractor.

When I haul in my truck, I put cribbing between the front tires and the front of the bed and use a ratchet strap to pull it tight to the front then add a second strap to the rear tie downs.

Keep your ramps, if they are wood, dry. Wet wooden ramps are slick.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 12:49 AM

One thing I didn't see mentioned here. It is safer to go backwards up a ramp than forwards. It's not going to flip over on you that way.

• Cvans said thank you

#15 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 264 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 12:51 PM

good point, backing up