• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Vehicle 1999 Gran Marque: Symptom-grinding noise similar to what a stuck caliper due to heated fluid in a piston bore would create i.e. the pad is dragging>creating heat>brake fluid is expanding>increasing pressure. However, when the wheel is removed this is found:

R. Front Caliper1.jpg R. Front Caliper2.jpg R. Front Caliper3.jpg

My thinking: Lug nuts were not tightened and allowed the wheel to cock inward at the top and rub on the caliper.

Opinions please?

Missed a detail or two: We had just had tires swapped at a tire venue. When we started to drive away was when the problem was first noticed.

We stopped in the parking lot and wife went in to see what a brake job would cost, after I stated to her what my thoughts on the problem could be. "Ask them to come out and bleed the pressure...as I stated, that was the cause, a dragging brake pad.

Actually, when the wheel was removed and pads checked today, there was nothing wrong with them.

And, the oddest finding...The wheel, that is on that hub right now and was when I took things apart today...Does NOT have any indication of having rubbed on the caliper. My imagination or, does anyone else find that a bit strange?

No, I did not question what they found...thinking perhaps I should have. Will call them tomorrow.

Edited by Phluphy, August 26, 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Aluminum wheel? Bent wheel, caliper mount bolts sheared or missing then moves at bumps or when brakes used. Hub or bearings worn, moves around then, similar to above.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Could be a loose wheel but they would have to be loose enough to take off with your fingers.Only other thing I can think of is Wheel Bearing worn out or your spindle is bent.

http://www.autozone..../?checkfit=true

If it has the factory aluminum wheels like our 94 had there is plenty of room between the rim and caliper.Only way it could rub the rim is if the Spindle is bent or your wheel bearing is extremely worn.

Our 94 had the snowflake rims off of a 98 Merc.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 26, 2016 - 08:28 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Aluminum wheel? Bent wheel, caliper mount bolts sheared or missing then moves at bumps or when brakes used. Hub or bearings worn, moves around then, similar to above.

Not aluminum wheel, not bent, all bolts good, hub and bearings check good. 

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:26 PM

Wheel Bearing worn out or your spindle is bent.

If it has the factory aluminum wheels like our 94 had there is plenty of room between the rim and caliper.Only way it could rub the rim is if the Spindle is bent or your wheel bearing is extremely worn.

Wheel Bearing worn out or your spindle is bent.

Steel wheels. Spindle and bearings are good.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Is the caliper mounted correctly? Meaning is it bolted right?
  • Phluphy said thank you

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:40 PM

The inner rotor looks rusty or worn.  The pads don't seem to be gripping the thing properly from what I see from my computer in WNY.  I'd pull the calipers off and inspect the pad condition and the caliper for wear & sticking..  

Also, as we only see the front view, how does the rotor edge look along with pad width?  Brake failure almost always is the inboard pad..  that's why you need to take the caliper off..  If it's a loud scrape you should find the culprit fairly easily..  Good Luck! 

• Phluphy said thank you

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:45 PM

The inner rotor looks rusty or worn.  The pads don't seem to be gripping the thing properly from what I see from my computer in WNY.  I'd pull the calipers off and inspect the pad condition and the caliper for wear & sticking..  

Also, as we only see the front view, how does the rotor edge look along with pad width?  Brake failure almost always is the inboard pad..  that's why you need to take the caliper off..  If it's a loud scrape you should find the culprit fairly easily..  Good Luck! 

Exactly what I expected when taking the caliper off. The pads only had 1k miles on them. All pins etc. moved freely, nothing was found out of place. The wear line in middle of pad indicates the pad is barely used.

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:45 PM

They 16"? Can't run the 15" on a 99 or newer because the calipers are larger.

You might need a thin wheel spacer to run those Steel rims.I would pull the other side and see if it looks the same.

That 1 rim might have a different offset to if there not factory rims.

Brother had that happen on a car be bought at an auction and tried to rotate the tires and found it had 2 different offset rims on the rear.He put them on the front and it rubbed the caliper so he put them back on the rear till he could find another set of rims.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 26, 2016 - 08:49 PM.

• Phluphy said thank you

#10 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:57 PM

They 16"? Can't run the 15" on a 99 or newer because the calipers are larger.

You might need a thin wheel spacer to run those Steel rims.I would pull the other side and see if it looks the same.

That 1 rim might have a different offset to if there not factory rims.

Brother had that happen on a car be bought at an auction and tried to rotate the tires and found it had 2 different offset rims on the rear.He put them on the front and it rubbed the caliper so he put them back on the rear till he could find another set of rims.

No, the car had one owner before we got it, and he had service records from day one. I understand your explanation however, there were no problems experienced that morning nor any other time prior to that day. I will give your theory benefit of doubt and have it checked. Although it still does not explain why the wheel, that wheel, has no wear on the inside. Thanks

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Maybe the tire place put the wrong rim on by mistake and then switched it back to the right one, yours.

• Phluphy said thank you

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Wheel should have a very noticeable mark on the inside.Had to be rubbing pretty hard to wear into the caliper like that. Check the inside of the rim where the wheel and wheel hub are welded together.

A  tire balancing machine will tell ya if the rim is bent.Most places will check it for free if you just bring in the wheel.

Do you have a full sized spare that you can put on and see if it rubs also?

• Bmerf and Phluphy have said thanks

#13 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:26 PM

Maybe the tire place put the wrong rim on by mistake and then switched it back to the right one, yours.

Plausible but, there is considerable explaining to be done by someone. One point for sure...we were told the front tires were identical all the way. These are not.

Thanks for your responses. Gives me something besides this antique brain's opinion to throw at them. Personally, I'm thinking a fo-pa and attempted cover up.

#14 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Wheel should have a very noticeable mark on the inside.Had to be rubbing pretty hard to wear into the caliper like that. Check the inside of the rim where the wheel and wheel hub are welded together.

A  tire balancing machine will tell ya if the rim is bent.Most places will check it for free if you just bring in the wheel.

Do you have a full sized spare that you can put on and see if it rubs also?

Actually, after they did whatever they did, it did not rub. Yes, spare is full size.

Think we'll drive into town tomorrow and get eye to eye on this. Thanks

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,487 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 08:14 AM

You may have to get Angela Lansbury in on this one!