• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 07:18 AM

The two on the top of my head are the ones that hurt the worst. Part of my face went numb last nite. Felt like I had gotten a shot of Novocain.

I have an adventure with my son this morning, then I'll try to get that nest gone. Still don't even know where or what they looked like.
I mentioned the lack of visible confirmation last nite to my Mom and said something about looking for them by flash lite. she said I had failed to get the plate number of the bus that ran me down... Give it until tomorrow to let them settle some.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#17 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 07:31 AM

If I find them before they find me, I adhere to a strict policy of live and let die!

• MH81, KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Well, this is weird.
Has to be a side effect of the head shot.
I can't figure out why, but all morning I keep faintly smelling chicken bouillon. Not strong, more like a memory on the wind. We don't have any I am aware of. Closest thing is some ramen noodles in the basement cupboard. No one else smells it...

Weird.
  • KennyP, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 08:03 AM

It must be a coincidense that you started this thread at a time the media is covering an issue about the increase in price of epipens.

• MH81, boyscout862 and toppop52 have said thanks

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 08:07 AM

It must be a coincidense that you started this thread at a time the media is covering an issue about the increase in price of epipens.

That's a ridiculous situation. Everyone deserves a profit, but this is extortion!

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Man I'm sorry you got nailed, I truly HATE those things...this year seems they are worse than ever. Wondering if it was from the mild winter we had?

If skunks eat these things out I'm willing to adopt any that somebody wishes to transplant to my road. We fight these buggers almost every-time we've been in  a hay field this year. I'm riding scared inside the cab tractor cause I react very bad to stings.

So bring your skunks and Gt's I'll donate  several acres of pasture to be plowed just as an incentive !!

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Found a second nest 500' from the first. Managed to avoid this one.
Got 89 octane bee killer in both nests. The ones that got me last nite got me one last time. No hard feelings, I went and got a lighter so they could find their way back at dusk.

The other one is just soaking up fumes as its way to close to standing dried grass to ignite.

Have a bald face nest the size of a basketball to do this winter and any other that show up.
  • olcowhand, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:41 PM

I got nailed a couple of times by yellow jackets this year. The first was when I leaned against the side of the loader on my Kubota, I didn't realize there was a small nest of them inside one of the pipes/brace. I got a can of hornet spray and I wiped them out pretty quick.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 06:24 AM

Found a second nest 500' from the first. Managed to avoid this one.
Got 89 octane bee killer in both nests. The ones that got me last nite got me one last time. No hard feelings, I went and got a lighter so they could find their way back at dusk.

The other one is just soaking up fumes as its way to close to standing dried grass to ignite.

Have a bald face nest the size of a basketball to do this winter and any other that show up.

Like your solutions ! I've been fighting a white face hornet nest for over a month know. It covers the top third of the man door of my shop so I haven't been able to weld or anything, still killing these things, 5 cans of spray so far, 1st up their access hole and then in holes we punched with a long pole on successive days before daylight. In this heat they seem to multiply by the minute... HATE these things  :mad2: 

• MH81 said thank you

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,644 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 07:00 AM

I've been fighting a white face hornet nest for over a month.

Be careful with those guys. They have NO sense of humor and pack a wallop.
Can't use the Shell brand bee killer there. Might be detrimental to the buildings longevity if there was a spark.
Are you using spray that has residual kill?
  • KennyP said thank you

#26 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 08:23 AM

If you can get to the large paper nests with a hose, put concentrated insect killer in a Miracle Grow or similar dispenser and spray the hell out of it and leave until they settle down, the water will knock them down and the insecticide will kill them. Repeat several times. Two things will happen, the bug killer will kill the bees/wasps/hornets, and the water will dissolve the nest if you soak it enough times. Rain won't, but the water with chemical usually will, if not, put kerosene in the dispenser and spray it with the hose. Depends on the type of wood and fiber they make the nest from.

• ducky, MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Lots of good ideas here.Thanks everbody.

• MH81 said thank you

#28 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Glad you got em under control Alan.  Dealt with a big Hornets nest last year while mowing roads at work.  SOOOO glad we had a new cabbed tractor last year and not the old tractor with NO protection from the little B@$tards.  They were not happy I destroyed their home.  Y'all be careful out there.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#29 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 10:15 AM

Yup any petroleum based liquid will do them.
bald faced hornets in! As for them danged ground bees,found some whilst digging taters,luckily no one got stung... the little buggers landed on me and I promptly terminated them with my cap.
They seem to be getting really ugly this year..this is why I don't do honey bees.. just too scarey with my 2 kids being 6 and 3 .
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#30 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:21 PM

My dad had a neat way to get rid of paper wasps and hornets,He had an old 12 gauge shot gun that wasnt good for much so he would pull the shot out of the shells and replace with couarse sand ,walk over to the offending nest and BOOM,,,,they and the nest evaporated works real well for the nests in the top of an eave on the house or a tree nest plus its fun!

• Sawdust said thank you