• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,702 Thanks
  • 28,346 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 07:55 PM

I've had to do battle with several nests this fall, this time I didn't even know they were there.
It was 15 min before dusk, i was running the.dozer to smooth a pile of dirt from last year's ditch-a-palooza and the first one felt like a sparkplug shock. Next three were rapid succession one in my hair. One more in my shirt beating retreat and turning off the key, last one trying to retrieve my shirt I ripped off.

Wish i could remember who told me a few years back that ground bees don't exist so they can come move this dozer.
Damn, my head hurts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160826_205903.jpg
  • 20160826_205816.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cvans and 7 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:01 PM

One of the few times that I'm glad to have a skunk visit is when they take out and underground nest. I like "Shoofly" spray because it shoots 20' and kills almost instantly. Good Luck, Rick
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,790 Thanks
  • 3,248 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:03 PM

When I was a youngster I got to ride my Pap's new riding mower, I was scalping a berm and ran across a yellow jacket nest. I bailed from the mower and ran screaming to the house with my socks covered with bees. Maw-Maw knew just what was wrong and hit me with the garden hose. After all the commotion was over, it seemed the riding mower went across the dirt road and into the creek. I assume this was before safety switches were introduced. 

• ducky, MH81, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,248 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:25 PM

Come on Alan...there's no such thing as ground bees!   Not been stung by a yellow jacket in years, but I very well remember their punch!  Worse than a wasper by a long shot!

• MH81, grnspot110, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,980 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:32 PM

That is no fun.

Last time I got stung was a bald faced hornet. That thing felt someone putting a hot cigarette out on my arm awhile stabbing me with a large needle. Arm swelled way up, and throbbed. Had to go to the doctor for a shot.
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Around where I'm at some wasps, yellow jackets nest in the ground,

I have an allergic reaction to them,

I stay away from them as much as possible.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:34 PM

at least it wasn't one of these. I still have a mark a few weeks later.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,353 Thanks
  • 8,693 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hope you heal up quick and can eradicate those monsters.

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,178 Thanks
  • 2,255 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:10 PM

I HATE Yellow Jackets lol They got me good a couple months ago.

Found a way to fix there butts.Took an old Metal window screen and tossed it over the hole and dumped a gallon of old stinky 2 stroke gas down there hole and lit it and let them Burn.

It burned for a good hour and half.Next morning I went out and the hole had fallen in and Then I seen just how big the nest was WOW.Sure glad they didn't all come out that nest was about a foot around down in there.

Nothing left but some crispy nest material and a big hole.Killed the grass for about 2 feet around there but it was totally worth it.

When in doubt dump more gas in the hole lol.

• MH81, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:20 PM

A guy I work with that also has a ranch says he has ground bees too. They don't look like regular honey bees they are a bit smaller and are more black. I'm pretty sure I've seen them before but it's been a long time. I had a near fatal yellow jacket attack when I was around 10 years old in Georgia but I won't go into that. No one believes it.

While we were in Colorado a couple of weeks ago a honeybee keeper in Sturgis, SD had his bees get riled and out of control. They attacked him and killed his dog. Two police officers that were nearby due to the Motorcycle rally came to help and try to save the dog and all 3 of those folks went to the hospital! I can't help but think maybe the thousands of bikes rumbling nearby got the bees stressed out.

Heal up quick, Alan!

Edited by MFDAC, August 26, 2016 - 09:22 PM.

• MH81, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 zippy1 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 602 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Holy smoke, not good...

I got er a couple years ago while bush hoggin with the Kubota. I was back in the pickers behind the house and cutting around the trees we planted. I never seen the nest, and still have no idea what they were, but it was a sneak attack. They got me from behind after I ran over them.

They got me behind the ears, my neck and one even got behind my glasses and got me in the eyelid. Being in the chair it wasn't like I could bale off the tractor, so I just started grabbing gears and hanging on to put some distance between me and them...

After I got home, which was about 15 minutes the wife met me at the house and my eye was swelled shut. Was an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  

#12 Phluphy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 10:54 PM

when first discovered it was interesting to see them coming and going from a small hole in the ground. A year later, accidental contact was made. End of live and let live.

Few ounces of bp in a container, ignition source, down the hole, cinder block on top, bit of noise and ground shake. A basketball would have fit in the hole after the their paper nest was removed, no bees since.

#13 ducky ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,782 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:43 AM

Alan Take care around those puppies.  I stirred up a nest with my skid steer 2 years age.  Had a cab on it and a couple still found a way inside.  Without the cab I my have bought the farm.

#14 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:19 AM

We just had a local killed here yesterday by bees. From the news reports, the hive belonged to him. I guess he picked up some African bees somewhere along the line. Scary when your own bees turn on you.

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,245 Thanks
  • 7,476 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:28 AM

My daughter got it once while using a push mower. She didn't have the presence of mind to leave the mower over the nest.