20 replies to this topic

#16 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 10:06 PM

I checked the pressures. The charge pressure is 360 psi at WOT. The implement pressure is 560 psi at WOT. Can any conclusions be drawn from this info? Thanks.

Yes something is amiss , that 360 psi straight out of the charge pump is totally baffling, they only put out 150 psi new (see the pic of the manual I included in my last post here) did you hook it up as shown ? I don't know how the charge pump is pushing this much pressure.

I checked the hydro line routing and I see that one of the lines goes from the hydro to the valve body through the power steering cylinder. I wonder if my lack of down pressure is caused by an internal leak in the power steering cylinder? Any opinions on this theory?

Yes the pump plumbs to the PS first , does the PS function? Is it leaking?
The PS this style can freeze up (rust) when they set long term especially exposed to the weather. These usually freeze up in the center position because of the design using an internal spring that returns it to the neutral position. Remove the outer boot where the drag link attaches to the thru bolt on the power steering unit by removing the thru bolt and sliding the boot forward. You will see the sleeve that goes thru the spool that actuates the unit ,you need to drop a roll pin thru the sleeve and see if you can move the spool for or aft slightly like 1/4" + if it doesn't move it's frozen you still stroke the piston because the spool is centered in the valve and allows flow you're just not getting any flow to the cylinder allowing it to function. If it moves and the unit doesn't leak is should be all right .If the internal o-rings were bad it would push fluid out the small breathers on the valve and you would notice a leak. If your getting 560 psi at the hydraulic valve body for the lift and remotes you are in tolerance according to the manual and I believe indicates flow thru the PS and that your valve body is okay ( they are repairable as well)
Check your gauge on that 360 psi measurement or test it again that pressure straight out of the pump is confusing to me.
  • Paulgo said thank you

#17 U118224 OFFLINE  

U118224
  • Member No: 84211
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:08 AM

The hydro is a Sunstrand. The Bolens manual I have doesn't have a spec for charge pressure, only for implement pressure. The Eaton hydro has a spec for charge pressure which is more in line with the 150 psi WrenchinOnIt referenced.

I'm going to check pressures before and after the the power steering cylinder this weekend using a tee. The power steering seems to function OK and doesn't leak. I'll report the results of the pressure testing.

Thanks for the assistance.

#18 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 09:14 AM

The hydro is a Sunstrand. The Bolens manual I have doesn't have a spec for charge pressure, only for implement pressure. The Eaton hydro has a spec for charge pressure which is more in line with the 150 psi WrenchinOnIt referenced.
I'm going to check pressures before and after the the power steering cylinder this weekend using a tee. The power steering seems to function OK and doesn't leak. I'll report the results of the pressure testing.
Thanks for the assistance.

I have been referencing the Sundstrand 15 pump and the page I shot a pick of is the specs for the Sundstrand.

#19 U118224 OFFLINE  

U118224
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 07:15 AM

I need to check pressure at the control valve inlet. Is dash tower removal the best way to access the valve?

#20 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 06:56 PM

I need to check pressure at the control valve inlet. Is dash tower removal the best way to access the valve?

No need to do this if you aren't seeing any leaks. I think I'm confusing you and I apologize. Check these pics on how to attach the pressure gauge, I think those ports are 1/8" NPS but it's been awhile . Put your gauge in either port and follow the instructions. I think your charge pump needs rebuilt if I was to venture a guess.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160905_1947120_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20160905_1947226_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20160905_1953599_rewind_kindlephoto-46063068.jpg

• Paulgo said thank you

#21 U118224 OFFLINE  

U118224
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:06 PM

No need to do this if you aren't seeing any leaks. I think I'm confusing you and I apologize. Check these pics on how to attach the pressure gauge, I think those ports are 1/8" NPS but it's been awhile . Put your gauge in either port and follow the instructions. I think your charge pump needs rebuilt if I was to venture a guess.

Thanks for the follow-up, I appreciate it. I suspect I may have a bad o-ring on the control valve which is why I want to make sure I have good pressure at the control valve inlet. I'm pretty sure I do, just want to confirm. I put the snowblower on it and it lifted it full travel at idle, but I can't get full travel on down pressure. I think either the lift cylinder or the control valve is leaking back to the return. I doubt it's the lift cylinder since I put an o-ring/seal kit in it, but it's possible.

As far as the charge pressure being so high, I don't know. The tractor drives well otherwise.