• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 ricksr OFFLINE  

ricksr
  • Member No: 85278
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 10:21 AM

For years now I have been using StarTron fuel treatment in all my 2 cycle engines, including my outboard motor with no (knock on wood) problems without having to search for and pay higher non ethanol gas. Just pay attention to mixture ratio. It matters depending which size you buy. I buy the 16oz and mix 1/2 oz per 4 gallons gas.

• Alc and Kster526 have said thanks

#17 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 247 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:10 PM

I buy premium non ethanol gas for all my small engines.  The ethanol gas will not last more than a couple of months before the performance goes down hill. 

My small engine professional tells me that most small engine "repair" is cleaning the carb!

D.

• Alc, Paulgo and Kster526 have said thanks

#18 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 209 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Ethanol is not the problem, it is the additives in the pump 87 fuel that cause the problems.  Ethanol is straight corn whisky, think, if corn whisky goes bad, then why do they age it in barrels for years?  I have done some small engine experiments on E85, my results were positive.

• Kster526 said thank you

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,163 Thanks
  • 9,631 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Ethanol is not the problem, it is the additives in the pump 87 fuel that cause the problems.  Ethanol is straight corn whisky, think, if corn whisky goes bad, then why do they age it in barrels for years?  I have done some small engine experiments on E85, my results were positive.

What experiments? Wouldn't a single cylinder engine blow up running E85?

#20 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 09:33 AM

The problem (other than incompatible rubber on older equipment) isn't the ethanol or that it goes bad.  It's that the ethanol likes to absorb moisture.  When the ethanol absorbs moisture it separates from the fuel and creates globs of water loaded gunk.  That water loaded gunk will plug up carburetor jets, corrode the brass parts and corrode fuel tanks.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, twostep and 4 others have said thanks

#21 Bob E ONLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 98 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 09:37 AM

It ain't the same as whiskey either. it's unaged high proof distillate from non food grade equipment that by law has to be denatured (poisoned). When much lower proof whiskey is aging in a barrel the wood allows the small water molecules to escape more easily than the larger alcohol molecules, so proof goes up over time. In a metal/plastic gas tank that doesn't happen.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#22 Bdgjr215 ONLINE  

Bdgjr215
  • Member No: 81793
  • 74 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 10:20 AM

The problem (other than incompatible rubber on older equipment) isn't the ethanol or that it goes bad.  It's that the ethanol likes to absorb moisture.  When the ethanol absorbs moisture it separates from the fuel and creates globs of water loaded gunk.  That water loaded gunk will plug up carburetor jets, corrode the brass parts and corrode fuel tanks.

this is whats wrong with ethanol gas
  • backwoods, Paulgo and Kster526 have said thanks

#23 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 209 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 07:42 PM

What experiments? Wouldn't a single cylinder engine blow up running E85?

Ran my 1981 John Deere on E85 for 6 or 7 years.  Why?  Mainly because people told me the nylon fuel tank would dissolve, the fuel lines would rot off, the carb would corrode before my eyes, right before the entire machine bust into a nuclear fireball.  Shockingly, nothing happened.  It ran reliably and mowed the yard, just like it had for the previous 25 years.  My uncle bought this machine new.  It was more reliable year to year on E85 than it ever was on gas.  Most E85 "problems" can be traced to poor maintenance and poor repairs.

• Bruce Dorsi, Cvans, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,163 Thanks
  • 9,631 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Ok, Did you have to max out the jet for the carb to get it rich enough to run? What did you do about the difference in operating temperature?

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,019 Thanks
  • 5,875 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Sprint6 I do not like ethanol but that may change thanks to people like you. You took the time and effort to do a real world test and are sharing the results with the rest of us. I thank you for that!!!!!!l  :urock:

#26 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 209 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Ok, Did you have to max out the jet for the carb to get it rich enough to run? What did you do about the difference in operating temperature?

Let me start by saying this was a well maintained, garage kept, but high hour machine.  So it had a clean fuel tank and good ignition to start with.  I would not want to run E85 in an unknown machine, that is where the problems start, dirty fuel tanks.  Ethanol is an awesome cleaning solvent, can't fault it for doing its job on a crappy fuel tank.

This mower was a 108 with 8hp vertical Briggs.  Where a main jet ends up about 2 1/2 turns out at my altitude with gas, on E85 it was probably out about 3 1/4, nowhere near the end of travel.  The exhaust had no smell and the oil stayed looking new all season long.  No provision has to be made for temperature because ethanol runs cooler than gas, great for an air cooled engine.

• limebuzz, Cvans, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#27 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,940 Thanks
  • 1,294 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Ethanol gas is the reason for me selling off my classic worker tractors and bought a diesel. Dead batteries were a minor inconvenience  compared to all the fuel problems caused by ethanol. Some only got run a few times a year. I have spent more time cleaning the carbs than I have using the machines. It is too much of a hassle to drain the tank after every use on every tractor. A half empty tank will draw more condensate than a full one, but why spend the money to fill the tank when the stuff is going to sour before you get a chance to use it. 

As an LT flipper, I love the stuff. People cant get their mower started in the spring, after setting all winter with rotten gas, and decide to buy a new one instead of paying to get the old one fixed. They give them away. After an hour or two cleaning the carbs and fixing what ever else need done, I can usually make $200-$300 easy profit.

• limebuzz, Cvans, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,135 Thanks
  • 44,144 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:43 PM

Aaron gave me a gas tank. It had about 1/2 gallon of gas in it. Has a hose hooked to it. But no gas would go through the hose. Pulled the hose off and found a mess inside it. The hose had some kind of liner inside and the gas had melted it down so nothing would come through.

DSCN2502.JPG    DSCN2503.JPG

I used a piece of electrical wire to try to clear the hose and this is what stuck to it.

DSCN2504.JPG

Here is a shot of the other end of the hose. That center part was gone on the end hooked to the tank.

DSCN2505.JPG

• Cvans, Paulgo and Kster526 have said thanks

#29 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 738 Thanks
  • 478 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:49 PM

We have a station locally here in The Valley that sells
Non ethanol so that's what goes in the herd, weed whackers and chain saws.
The ethanol has cost me two carbs already. One on the hedge trimmer and
one o the weed whacked. Tried the blue stuff but now just stick to the non ethanol.
  • KennyP, Cvans and Paulgo have said thanks

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,135 Thanks
  • 44,144 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:58 PM

That's what I buy now for all the small engines around here!

• Cvans, Paulgo and Kster526 have said thanks