• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:53 AM

I've been doing some research. It varies by state, but Michigan allows 10% ethanol in gasoline without any notice at the pump. Ethanol attracts water. It also "phase separates" from gas when sitting unagitated. The ethanol/water mix sits on the bottom of the tank. When we warm up our engines we are burning off this non-gas mix.  That is as bad, or worse, than the effects of ethanol on soft parts such as fuel lines, gaskets, etc. Additives do nothing to nullify the alcohol/water damage.

This site: http://www.pure-gas.org/ lists service stations, airports, and marinas, in the US and Canada, which sell ethanol free gas. I found 4 stations in my area that sell 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. Current pump price is $3.39, which is cheaper than the $3.99 at the marina or $5.05 at the airport.

I haven't been able to find any reason not to run 91 octane in my old tractors, so I will be using it from here on out.

Paul

• Texas Deere and Horse, Cvans, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 11:00 AM

We say to use the best gas possible in all small engines --even newer ones and especially in push mowers, weed trimmers, etc...

The older GTs and engines were built to run on nothing but straight gasoline --so you'll do LESS damage running it through than you will 87.

• MH81, stiemmy and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 1,105 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 12:10 PM

We say to use the best gas possible in all small engines --even newer ones and especially in push mowers, weed trimmers, etc...
The older GTs and engines were built to run on nothing but straight gasoline --so you'll do LESS damage running it through than you will 87.

X2
  • Paulgo said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 12:54 PM

A lot of anti-ethanol information out there for sure.   Did they bother to say how long the ethanol mixed gas had to sit before it separated?  A year, 2 years, 6 months?  Been billions of ethanol gas sold and used since it became available and very few if any problems that could be DIRECTLY caused by the gas.  Older carbs would have some gasket problems.  When a shop don't know the answer they have to blame it on something and the gas is the handiest.  Kind of like the fire department, if they don't know what caused the fire it was faulty wiring. Just my 2 cents worth and I been using ethanol since it came out and will continue to use it with no problems.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Been billions of ethanol gas sold and used since it became available and very few if any problems that could be DIRECTLY caused by the gas.

How about that alchohol smut that grows in  a carb bowl that sits for an extended period of time?

• Username, MolonLabe, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I always thought it comical when they call gas "enhanced" with 10% ethanol.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, Paulgo and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:04 PM

A lot of anti-ethanol information out there for sure.   Did they bother to say how long the ethanol mixed gas had to sit before it separated?  A year, 2 years, 6 months?  Been billions of ethanol gas sold and used since it became available and very few if any problems that could be DIRECTLY caused by the gas.  Older carbs would have some gasket problems.  When a shop don't know the answer they have to blame it on something and the gas is the handiest.  Kind of like the fire department, if they don't know what caused the fire it was faulty wiring. Just my 2 cents worth and I been using ethanol since it came out and will continue to use it with no problems.

In my case, I have had carb issues on a recurring basis. Most recently, I traced a problem to a fuel line that had become soft and squishy. Looked into ethanol resistant hose, but that wouldn't solve problems with gaskets and jet O-rings. Decided to seek a better answer.

Blarney Castle Oil owns 120 stations here in Michigan-- two (Shell and EZ-Mart) in my town. I spoke with their head of operations this morning and he said that both stations had 10% ethanol in all grades of gas. He went on to say that I do NOT want to use his fuel in older or small engines because they were not made to run on ethanol and it will damage them. I thanked the man for his honesty and found straight gas at a couple of his competitors.

Paul

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Shelf life for ethanol gas several months and non-ethanol shelf life is years according to some sources.

• Paulgo said thank you

#9 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:49 PM

I always thought it comical when they call gas "enhanced" with 10% ethanol.

Enhanced my @$$. More like degraded!
  • old coot and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:56 PM

In our area Fastrac carries 89 octane non-ethanol gas..  It powers all my stuff..   :thumbs:

• Paulgo said thank you

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 772 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 05:08 PM

I've been doing some research. It varies by state, but Michigan allows 10% ethanol in gasoline without any notice at the pump. Ethanol attracts water. It also "phase separates" from gas when sitting unagitated. The ethanol/water mix sits on the bottom of the tank. When we warm up our engines we are burning off this non-gas mix.  That is as bad, or worse, than the effects of ethanol on soft parts such as fuel lines, gaskets, etc. Additives do nothing to nullify the alcohol/water damage.

This site: http://www.pure-gas.org/ lists service stations, airports, and marinas, in the US and Canada, which sell ethanol free gas. I found 4 stations in my area that sell 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. Current pump price is $3.39, which is cheaper than the $3.99 at the marina or $5.05 at the airport.

I haven't been able to find any reason not to run 91 octane in my old tractors, so I will be using it from here on out.

Paul

Our older engines are designed to use the slower burning fuel, so the higher the octain the slower the burn. Ethanol speeds up the burn. 

I would have no problem running 91 pure gasoline. 

• MH81 and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 06:25 PM

I found 4 stations in my area that sell 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. Current pump price is $3.39, which is cheaper than the $3.99 at the marina or $5.05 at the airport.

Paul

Apparently the law that created gasohol is running out. There are a lot of TV ads to do away with it in my area. If they went back to straight gas, what would the price be?

#13 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:47 PM

My main tractor is ethanol free, its diesel powered, our generator we plan to get is air cooled diesel.  For my 2 stroke items, blower, weed eater and my old Johnson outboard on my boat, I keep the fuel stablized and anything left at end of season is dumped into my pickup truck's tank and burned.  All 2 strokes get their cylinders fogged with fogging oil at end of season.  Wife's 1811 Cub Cadet stays stablized and I turn off the fuel petcock and run till carb is dry at end of season.  The diesels get power services in every tank to help make up for any lack of lubrication of the ULSD fuel we have now and preventing winter gelling/wax build up.  Its all about proper maintance and many have no clue how to do it, or do not keep up with it. See it come thru my dealerships service dept all day long and into my service bay.  Seen more than one high doller carb ruined by the crud that grows when nothing but that crap sits in a carb for months.  We did an experiment at school, took a Mason jar and filled it with 89 octane pump fuel from a random station and stuck it on a shelf in the shop, after 1 week it started to seperate, after 2 weeks undisturbed it was almost totally seperated.  Keep the fuel fresh and use it or drain it.  Two most common items in my shop for carb/fuel related issues are tillers and generators, followed by snowblowers.     Mike

• MH81, LilysDad and Paulgo have said thanks

#14 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:48 PM

I was a believer in the old 10% "gasahol" that became popular in the 1980s but I have completely turned my opinion around. The formula back then looked visually appealing and smelled like a potent fuel. This cheap crap they sell now looks like water from a rusty gas can or a weak urine sample and stinks right from the pump. We have had 91 and 85 octane non-ethanol fuel here for quite some time now and even though the oil companies have to gouge harder for it It's good to have it again. I run the 91 in the '72 GMC and the '55 seems to like the 85 just fine. I also run the tractors and pressure washer on the 85 octane.

The '55 HATED ethanol fuel. The float would stick down after just a day or two of evaporation in the 1 bbl carb and since the non-ethanol became available it has not stuck since, even if the truck has not been started for a week or two.

DAC

#15 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 10:19 PM

Around here we have 2 Valero stations, 2 independents that get there gas from Mirabito, and two independents with unknown branded Non ethanol 91octane gas.