• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place or not but here's my question, for those that have and are using a pull behind mower how do you like it do they do a decent job, what I'm really interested in is the rough cut versions that I could maybe use on ditch banks some and to cut dense over grown grass / weed and small brush not over 2" I would be using my Power King tractor to pull it.

Also any thoughts on brand preference.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:12 PM

If your thinking of cutting stuff up to 2" in diameter you need a bigger, heavier built mower and tractor to power it.  You would really be pushing the limits of tractor and mower for what your talking about cutting.  Most pull behind mowers are finish type mower, not brush cutters. Just my opinion and am sure there will be others.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Hi thanks, I'm not interested in a finish mower I'm looking at the Swisher 44" rough cut mower it is built similar to the bigger heavy duty brush cutters 2 swinging blades on one spindle, when I say up to 2" that would be the exception mostly 1" or less, I have a 5" rotoray cutter for use with the 8N but I want the offset of the pull behinds. 

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:39 AM

I never used one, but they look like they should work good. I would like to try one sometime to see for myself how good they are. I figure that it wouldn't be quite as good as the advertising shows tho.
  • MNGB said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 02:28 PM

They make ruff cut and finish mowers
Ruff cut are like a bush hog.

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Hi, well today was my day, checked Fleet Farms sales flyer and the Swisher 44" rough cut mower was on sale, so hitched up the trailer and headed to FF applied for their cridet card and got another 10% off so I'm now the owner of a rough cut trail mower. Now for the fun it fit into the trailer like a tight fitting glove so now its to get it back out.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Hi the Swisher trail mower is in the shop not quite ready for mowing but close, it came with oil, but I need to add oil, adjust the hitch to the angle I want, and I'm going to convert the engine to electric start since I have a couple of good starters in the parts room I'll install one and wire it up, don't plan on installing a battery I'll use jumpers from the PK battery.

HPIM2587.JPG HPIM2588.JPG HPIM2589.JPG HPIM2590.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Looks good. Let us know how it works.
  • MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi well I hitched it to the Power King the other day with the hitch offset and did a small trial cut around and behind the shop, it works good I like it.

So this afternoon I pulled the fan shroud off and installed a starter and reinstalled the shroud fuel pump and airfilter, connected a set of jumper cables to the battery on the PK and connect them to the mower frame and the starter lug it cranked over and started up that was nice, tomorrow afternoon I'll mount a solenoid and wire it that will make for a nice deal.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi all, this morning I got the Swisher  rough cut mower out to my place and gave it a real world try, and its a keeper I really like it it mows great is quite and the offset is nice. I'm thinking I should have gotten one of these mowers a long time ago, and the Power king is a great tractor on it, I'd say if your thinking about one go for it. Also I'm glad I installed the electric start on it  it was cool this morning and pushing the start switch was nice.

HPIM1235.JPG HPIM1236.JPG HPIM1237.JPG HPIM1238.JPG

Edited by MNGB, October 09, 2016 - 07:55 PM.

• KennyP said thank you