• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Hello everyone. Sorry to be MIA for a while. Now on to the topic.

Delco Remy SG's are very tough units and I want to know if anyone has had them go bad, why they went bad and the costs you went through in fixing them (if you did fix it).

Also, how do you check the armature to see whether it is good or bad.

I have tested two by clamping the Negative cable from a jump pack and touched the "A" terminal for see if I could get it to spin (like starting). I get spark and a lockup of the armature. Is this a bad artature winding?

Thanks.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 02:25 PM

There is a real good article on the Starter/generator on this site.  Don' remember where it is right off.  Try a search for starter/generator.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 02:35 PM

If they will spin up to full speed quickly touch the hot wire to the F terminal while it's still spinning.It should immediately stop it from spinning if the windings and armature are good.

That's the quick test if your in a pinch for time.

Here's a Video

If it doesn't Stop it spinning then it has a broken wire or something is burnt up.Usually the Field coil goes 1st.

Good write ups on them here.

http://gardentractor...generators-r200

and here

http://gardentractor...r-generator-r78

Edited by EricFromPa, August 25, 2016 - 02:35 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 04:51 PM

well that's it for today, I just learned something.  thanks

Pete

• MyBolens1053 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Some info here:

http://gardentractor...lletin-img-150/

I've seen D/R start/gens fail for various reasons.  ...Most common were ball-bearings locking-up, or in need of a thorough cleaning.

Worn brushes, bad field coils, and a few faulty armatures, but usually most repairs are easy to do. 

Field coils can be checked for continuity and for shorting to ground.

The armature can be tested for continuity and some shorts.

• Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:05 PM

there are three components in the starter generator that can fail, the brushes, the field coils and the armature. there are three things that can fail in the armature, the windings can become shorted to ground or one of the windings can have an open circuit or the commutator can become worn out. the winding can be tested for grounding by connecting one lead of an ohm meter to the armature shaft and touch the other lead to each segment of the commutator,the reading should show an open circuit at each segment if any shows any continuity the armature is bad and will need to be replaced, the only way to check for an open circuit is by using a device called a growler, if the commutator is worn down it can be put in a lathe and turned down if it is not already worn to deeply. the brushes are made of a fairly soft carbon and are designed to wear down instead of the commutator, when the brushes are worn down beyond half of there length they need to be replaced as the spring tension on them becomes less as they wear down,worn brushes usually show up as very high starting currant, slow turning over and a loud hum when trying to turn over. the field coils consist of two pole coils one of them, (the armature coil) will have very low resistance about .3 to .5 ohms, the other one, (the field coil) will have about 7.5 to 9.5 ohms, and there should be no continuity to ground on either coil. if the field coil is bad the unit will not generate and if the armature coil is bad the unit will not start. also the insulators where the field and armature studs protrude the shell can crack and deteriorate and cause shorts, if the field terminal becomes shorted to ground the generator will full field and will destroy itself in a very short time (minutes). if the armature terminal shorts to ground the starter solenoid will most likely be ruined also and wiring will get very hot and melt when trying to start. brushes, bearings and field coils are usually readily available.   

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:08 PM

armatures are also available but can cost as much as a complete after market unit, bearings brushes and field coils are not very expensive.
hope this helps.
brian,
  • MyBolens1053 said thank you

#8 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 03:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a feeling I'm in for the worst news on my DR starter. I know it can use some brushes and new posts for the "A" and "F" connections. Bearings are good, but, the armature looks cooked. Bare wiring at a few points where the wires meet the 'copper' end.

Ugh.

#9 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • Member No: 68112
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 12:37 AM

The new starter gen I bought for my 1250 starts smoking after a few minutes and then stops and the engine dies?

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:13 AM

The new starter gen I bought for my 1250 starts smoking after a few minutes and then stops and the engine dies?

Sounds like a bad bearing , bushing , or theres so much crud in there it doesnt have any more room to spin free.

• MyBolens1053 and accidentalchild have said thanks

#11 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:21 PM

it also might be full fielding, check voltage at the arm terminal with engine running medium speed voltage should not be above 13.5 volts
  • Bruce Dorsi, MyBolens1053 and accidentalchild have said thanks

#12 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 08:48 AM

One other possibility is that someone may have removed the field coils inside the housing and there is either some debris between the field coils and the housing causing them to be too close to the armature or the field coils are not quite square with the housing (again placing part of the field coil too close to the armature).  As the unit warms up the armature and field coils expand slightly and start to make contact with each other - if this is the case you should be able to see contact marks on the armature - just a thought.

• Bruce Dorsi, MyBolens1053 and accidentalchild have said thanks