31 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 07:51 AM

We live out in the boonies. No land line no cable. Directv and RF internet. I can get 35 channels on an indoor antenna but the wife "needs" sat tv. The only thing I really watch is baseball and a few other shows on the history channel. $150 a month and we don't even have any movie channels. The equipment fees are more than the programming. I would dump it but she wont let me.

• boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:05 AM

We are out int the country also. Very little if any cell phone service.  Usually have to walk across the road and face SE to get any on most days.  Have a 60 ft. tower with antenna for the "local" channels our of Omaha.  St TV has Des Moines channels for their "Local"  Our weather comes out of the West, Omaha area, East, DM area.  Big NASCAR fans so have the larger TV package to get all the races.  This includes the pro football games also. 
As for internet we have two choice, dial up or satellite.  We have satellite and don't use U-Tube at all.  Most videos are home made stuff with a so called smart phone and very poor quality so why bother.  Use the delete key when video messages come in.

If we had cell phone service on a regular basis we would drop the land line, but with it being bundled with Dish hard to do also.  All depends and where you live, your interests and if your working or retired.  I am retired but start the day at 6 and quit at 4.

Edited by chieffan, August 25, 2016 - 08:06 AM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:19 AM

We're retired too & like I mentioned earlier we have so many interests & things to do we watch very little tv. In addition to living in the country we are in a valley. One of our neighbors about 3 miles up the road gets over 45 channels using an indoor antenna. I've noticed driving around most have outdoor antennas.
  • boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 10:57 AM

Like many of you the wife does not want to drop Directv.  :wallbanging:   She also fought me on dropping the land line. But I have been looking into cutting the cable and I found a cheaper option for the land line.  The big thing for the wife on the land line is that everyone had that number.  I think most cell phone carriers have this option now but I know for a fact Straight talk and Verizon do.  They have a box that will connect to a land line phone that is basically a cell phone.  It cost's about $15 a month for the service.  What we did is connect a base phone with 2 repeaters or satellite stations to the box so it is just like having a land line for a lot less.  Plus you get call waiting, forwarding, long distance and more with the service.  

For the TV there are a lot of options.  Roku, Chromecast and fire TV are good options.  We have 2 Roku's that stream tv shows from the internet from services like Netflix and Hulu but lately I have been finding other free services like Tubi TV that show older TV shows and movies but are free.  If you don't want to spend $$$ on a Roku or or steaming device and are technically savey then take a laptop install Kodi on it with the plug-in you want and connect it to a TV and you can do the same thing. Use a wireless mouse as your remote.  You do have to had descent internet to do this.  

If you don't have good internet, you do have another choice.  Install Playon on a laptop then take it with a fully charged batter to where there is a free hot spot like Windy's or something.  Connect up to the hot spot and use Playon to record the show(s) you want. Then you can use either a steaming device like Roku or install Kodi and watch your show's.  Plus you have them recorded so down the road if you want you can watch them again for free. Playon has another advantage in that it is a media server so you can also show family pictures or movies on the TV or play music from your music library off the computer.   I've only listed what I think are the eaasiest solutions to stream media content but there are a lot more out there that are free but may require a bit of technical know how.

• MH81, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#20 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 02:55 PM

I cut the cord when I bought my home last year, no TV, no internet, nada. I have the Cell for mobile data and work for the main internet. Cutting the cord, I have 0 bill, TV since it's a flat screen has the digital receiver installed already, just needed that antenna. 

I will mount one on the roof someday, but for now, it's in the bedroom and I get about 10 good channels. As long as I get Hogans heroes and MASH, I'm happy.

There is a box that you can install with a thumb drive for the digital recording. Costs about $20.00

• MH81, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#21 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 12:05 AM

I don't have cable and am less aware of what is happening in the world. Not that it really matters. What make model antennaes are you guys most successful with? I was told if I put up antennae I could tune in local tv station
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:40 AM

I don't have cable and am less aware of what is happening in the world. Not that it really matters. What make model antennaes are you guys most successful with? I was told if I put up antennae I could tune in local tv station

The antenna you should install will vary greatly depending on the market you were trying to receive. Are you going for Canadian television or US market?
What are the actual transmit frequencies for those channels?
Usually, they are in the UHF band and you can build it yourself. Google 8 Bay UHF antenna plans.
  • boyscout862 and Jazz have said thanks

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 04:09 PM

Try this site  http://www.tvfool.com/  . It will tell you what tv stations are in your area and type of antenna needed to get them. I find that channels less than 30db are too weak for me to get with my little antenna. 40 miles seems to be the limit for now. A $10 indoor antenna from Walmart seems to work for the ones that are 20 miles away. Good Luck, Rick 

Try this site too:   http://www.antennaweb.org/Address

Edited by boyscout862, August 31, 2016 - 09:48 AM.

• HDWildBill, Jazz and haykarenhardy have said thanks

#24 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 346 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 04:33 PM

You could google "fractal tv antenna"  I did a homemade and pulled TV from Pullman W.A.  110 miles on the road I'm thinking 60 to 80 for crows. That was with it hanging in the kitchen window. Don

• MH81 and Jazz have said thanks

#25 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Thanks,, I will look into the info you guys provided. Closest city is 200 miles so just trying to pull in local tv.

#26 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 346 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Thanks,, I will look into the info you guys provided. Closest city is 200 miles so just trying to pull in local tv.

I had some luck doing what they used to call side stacking. I used 2 identical home made antennas mounted on a stick and spliced together with a y and 2 equal length coax lines. to make this work perfectly the coax length should be calculated, the distance between antenna calculated, the height of the ground calculated and probable other stuff I haven't researched. Everything needs to be set up for the wave length you are trying to receive. Without obstructions  and with enough height 200 mi may be possible.   Don      

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 01, 2016 - 07:27 AM

That website showed me a total of 4 stations I could get

#28 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 07:18 AM

Help can be found for selecting antenna systems at these two websites

US Broadcasts  http://www.dtvusaforum.com/forum.php

Canadian Broadcasts http://www.digitalho...tal-television/

"That website showed me a total of 4 stations I could get" Aaron, What height did you specify as your antenna height? Make it at least 25 - 40 feet and see what you get. You may be in a valley with poor reception, in that case cable ,sat or internet would be your best choice.

Stan 

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Here's some interesting reading

http://www.sectv.com...px?strSystem=LV

Now for you electronic members ,  could a remote antenna have a solar charged battery for a booster so if someone had a hill by their house construct an antenna , booster feed a house a good distance ?  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Yes, it is possible le. The difference between today and then is that everyone and their pet frog has some wireless stuff. Add all that together, and it's a lot of interference to shield against.

Back then, they used 300 ohm wire. 2 parallel lines, no sheilding.
Today, they use either VERY well designed hard line (like an aluminum tube with foam and a big center conducter) or fiber optic.
Std rg6 begins to show sigal degredation at 200 ft
  • Alc said thank you