• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:08 PM

I got sick of the poor shows, the hourly interruptions and especially the $80 per month it cost. I mounted a $23 antenna with a built in rotor to a mast that I attached to my chimney. I now get 53 channels(depending on the atmospheric conditions) and find that I don't miss the cable. I'm also doing more instead of watching the tube. I got the cheapo antenna years ago from Sportsmans' Guide as a back up to cable. When we were without power and cable for 10 days after Hurricane Irene, I used it with an old TV and converter with the generator. I'm going to take down some trees and get a much better antenna this fall. If you need to tighten up your budget this is looking good to me. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:16 PM

I pay 247 a month for my cable phone and internet. I get sick of paying it every month. 300 plus channels of nothing. I'd cancel the cable portion and keep the internet but my wife won't hear it.

I watch Netflix, hbo go, Hulu and YouTube when I want to watch something. So internet alone would be good with me. Honestly that's not all that often.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 24, 2016 - 08:17 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Same here, I have a bundle and I can't spit out just the Internet . Seems like every thing I try to watch on TV is not part of my subscription. Words can not discribe how much I can't stand the cable companies . I like the DMV more than the cable company! That's sad.

Tom
  • grnspot110, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 860 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:45 PM

When we had cable it took me an hour just to find out there was nothing worth watching.  The minute the youngest left for college I cancelled the service and hooked the old antenna up.  Now I can find out there is nothing to watch in under 5 minutes and get back to GTTalk where all the good things are!  Oh, save a bundle of money too.

Finally convinced the Mrs. that the "house" didn't need a phone and got rid of that monthly bill.

Last year when the daughter finally finished college (7 years for her JD) we turned the old cell plan over to her.  Turns out though she didn't need the grandfathered unlimited data when she was paying for it......  Wife and I switched to Republic Wireless where our highest bill so far for two phones was $32.  Had to buy our own phones up front but we've already saved more than the phones cost.

Now if I could find a way to get good internet for under $50/month we'd be all set.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Congrats!

We fired Dish well over a year ago.  It was a good decision. Don't miss the programing, but I sure miss the on-screen guide quite a bit.  We have 27 channels out of Kansas City without turning the antenna and many more channels if we turn towards Omaha, Des Moines or other markets. Turning the rotor also gives lots of redundant channels.  

Our internet provider can't get us phone unless we pay for 1/2 mile of burying cable coming in from the south.  I have no desire to have a land line again.  Neighbor to the north wants me to run that cable because he wants the service.  He'd only have to run 1/4 mile cable if I'd bring the service to here first. 

Now if I could just wean myself from the internet!  I blame GTT for being so darn good.  :worshippy1:

Edited by Gtractor, August 24, 2016 - 08:50 PM.

• MH81, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Congrats!

Now if I could just wean myself from the internet! I blame GTT for being so darn good. :worshippy1:

It is downright addictive. Needs warning labels.
  • Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,059 Thanks
  • 785 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:37 PM

I've been running an airial for ever. Don't know about cable or satilite, Except that their a rip off.Beside's ain't nothing but subliminal and propaganda crap on it anyways!

• Gtractor, MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:45 PM

I have an antenna, but we have dish.
We are looking at dropping them for a year and then re-upping so we can drop to this package.
https://www.infinity...7sxej1zv51p2e29
If you're a first time customer, it seems a good deal for 2 years lock in.

It's basic cable and most people can get their locals in the package price.

Just have to decide if the wife and kiddos would be happy enough.

Got rid of the land line and went with cell phones. Downfall is my wife upped our data plan without talking it thru and now we are at the break even... Oh well, at least I can Pandora and Tractor as much as I want on it and not feel bad.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:08 PM

We are so scattered brain trying to figure out what to do here in the country. We use to have hard wire cable & Internet at the old place. Now we had to go with a landline because Verizon's closest tower is 12 miles away...one end of our house we get 2 bars. We got Dish satellite...cloud goes over we loose service besides like mentioned nothing worth watching. We also had to get satellite internet...two steps up from dial up. It's very hard to watch a video because of buffering every few seconds. We never were tv watchers but really enjoyed the internet. I went online to check out our zip code & found out we have very little to no antenna reception. Our son is still in college so he has been going to the library. Regardless of all that we love where we live & always have things to do that we enjoy so the trade off makes it better to live with.
  • Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 11:40 PM

We are so scattered brain trying to figure out what to do here in the country. We use to have hard wire cable & Internet at the old place. Now we had to go with a landline because Verizon's closest tower is 12 miles away...one end of our house we get 2 bars. We got Dish satellite...cloud goes over we loose service besides like mentioned nothing worth watching. We also had to get satellite internet...two steps up from dial up. It's very hard to watch a video because of buffering every few seconds. We never were tv watchers but really enjoyed the internet. I went online to check out our zip code & found out we have very little to no antenna reception. Our son is still in college so he has been going to the library. Regardless of all that we love where we live & always have things to do that we enjoy so the trade off makes it better to live with.

Whats your signal strength? Sounds as if it's not tuned well.
Here, if the sat goes out, it's a big storm
  • boyscout862, Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 12:03 AM

We got scwat out here in the pickers. Air free antenna TV get's five local channels and that's it.

Our "high speed" interweb is slower than slow. We finally dropped the landline so those dirty buggers raised our interweb price, so it's damn near the same as it was before dropping the landline.

And yes, we are still with a satellite company with our $10 off a month because every year I call and threaten to drop them. $80 a month for two rooms. It's enough money, but the wife and I go nowhere, so we "justify" it by one night a month out to a movie and supper someplace would cost more than that.

I think if I had to make a choice between satellite tv and interweb, it would be to keep the interweb... 

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 04:24 AM

We have phone web tv,its mainly for the grandson were raising and the others that come to visit,since verizon did away with rfd,outdoors and the other sportsman channels aint much for me to watch,@fter the grandson is out dropping it
  • boyscout862 and jerseyeyes have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 05:18 AM

I cancelled the service and hooked the old antenna up.  Now I can find out there is nothing to watch in under 5 minutes and get back to GTTalk where all the good things are!  Oh, save a bundle of money too.

That's so funny :bigrofl:  

As people start thinking of retirement property taxes around here are  big issue but I bet most pay more for cable/internet & cell phones then property taxes !

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Congrats!

We fired Dish well over a year ago.  It was a good decision. Don't miss the programing, but I sure miss the on-screen guide quite a bit.  We have 27 channels out of Kansas City without turning the antenna and many more channels if we turn towards Omaha, Des Moines or other markets. Turning the rotor also gives lots of redundant channels.  

Our internet provider can't get us phone unless we pay for 1/2 mile of burying cable coming in from the south.  I have no desire to have a land line again.  Neighbor to the north wants me to run that cable because he wants the service.  He'd only have to run 1/4 mile cable if I'd bring the service to here first. 

Now if I could just wean myself from the internet!  I blame GTT for being so darn good.  :worshippy1:

2 years ago I dropped the phone and went with MajicJack from Walmart. It pluggs into the internet modum and works like a regular landline for $50 per year. For the antenna I found that a 9 dcb booster had doubled my channels. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Dumped the Dish 10 Years ago and don't miss channel surfing to watch nothing of value.  Got rid of the Phone line land 3 years ago and went with 2 prepaid cell phones and a hotspot for internet.  We live in the country so decent internet and cable isn't an option.

I'm saving over a thousand a year !

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks