Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need to have this electricians phone number!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:10 PM

I have a 100 yr old victorian house that my family lives in and we have been slowly restoring it  or remodeling it but back to old,It was a disaster when we started and still has a long way to go but I work on it as money and time allow(No bank loans,we are doing this cash only)Now I do have a mortgage but only till next september! Paid it off in 5 years!Anyway we decided to remove the ugly suspended ceiling from the dining room today,Check out the pics of the wiringOMG,People like this is why houses burn down!!!I have already replaced most of the wiring in the house and Installed a new service from the meter in and most of it was done like this,The plumbing wasnt any better ,I have replaced all of that too,,Thought you all might have some good comments for this wiring job!

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0119.JPG
  • PTDC0120.JPG
  • PTDC0121.JPG
  • PTDC0122.JPG
  • PTDC0125.JPG
  • PTDC0124.JPG
  • PTDC0123.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:26 PM

It's scary thinking about what you haven't found yet !!!

• propane1 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#3 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:34 PM

You should have this fellow wire for you... I found this on a call I ran working on an ice machine.

036.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:08 PM

He said:  "Don't worry Honey, you won't be seeing any of this once the new Ceiling is hung!"  I found the wires tied and taped up in attic at my house when trying to do some remodel and changes too. No box for the joint, just a ball of wire.  What is that box or ?? in ceiling there? Looks like two heavy wires with big ends that might be BOLTED? to something in there?? Huh?  I've seen basements in old places where they still had the two single wires running in porcelain guide blocks, not like romex or such. That is how early lighting was run in early 1900's.

• Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:09 PM

Glad you found the mess before the fire department had to be called.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:16 PM

COOL!!!!!  I used to do allot off work in the really old paper mills around western mass, you should have seen  some o the stuff I saw down in the basement of those places.  old wiring like that is scary especially when you consider that tape most likely fell off there.

Pete

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:53 PM

One time at my grandparents house there was an outlet throwing sparks so my aunt put a piece of electrical tape over the holes. 

True story!  :wallbanging:

• propane1 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#8 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:05 PM

He said:  "Don't worry Honey, you won't be seeing any of this once the new Ceiling is hung!"  I found the wires tied and taped up in attic at my house when trying to do some remodel and changes too. No box for the joint, just a ball of wire.  What is that box or ?? in ceiling there? Looks like two heavy wires with big ends that might be BOLTED? to something in there?? Huh?  I've seen basements in old places where they still had the two single wires running in porcelain guide blocks, not like romex or such. That is how early lighting was run in early 1900's.

Knob and Tube. We still have a lot of that here in Gettysburg. 

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Been there and done that.  I owned an old Victorian house back when I was working for the City.  Rewired it all as it had the old knob and spool wiring.  All the plumbing was redone except for the 5/8" copper lines that run from the basement to the second floor bathroom.  Sold the house 16 years ago and made good money on it.  2 owners since and the last people rented and really tore hell out of it.   Last owners are restoring it to as close to original as they can.  Met and talked with the a few weeks ago.  Working on the outside now and will move inside when winter hits.  The house in in the book "Victorian Homes in Iowa".

GL I think what your seeing is the porcelain insulators they used to run the wire through any wood part of the structure.  Wish I would have removed all the spool insulators and tubes that I left when the old wiring was cut out.

• Gtractor and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Working at a restaurant remodeling last year. We found a 4×4 junction box with 18 wires going into it. All safely taped or nutted😉
  • Gtractor, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I have ran into some interesting wiring in my house.

I have cleaned up a lot of it.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:58 PM

We went to stay at my SIL's new house and put up a ceiling fan for her.
I wouldn't let anyone sleep in the house once I saw the wiring.
16 ga wire (yes it was) on a 20 amp breaker, T-in splices with no box, just some tape. The feed line from the road was the old 60 A service wires,... Even Two breakers feeding the same circuit from two different directions... By the grace of God they were both breakers on L1. Got juiced because of it.

This house was inspected by the building inspection officer for the City, the bank, and the VA.
They should all be fired.

I spent two weekends and a lot of her money running lines. Encouraged her to document and then recover her expenditures... She just let it go.

I have NO problem with someone doing stuff themselves. However, it should be SAFE. Those pictures are of unsafe wiring and the person who sold you the house should be responsible. If for no other reason than they did not provide full disclosure and misrepresented the house. Good luck getting that to stick, but it is what SHOULD happen.
  • Gtractor, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:38 PM

Over the years I've had to turn jobs down because of things like this & the home owner not willing to allow me to correct it. Adding without correcting what is wrong can become big liability issues for the contractors that do things right. I just don't see how some people can sleep at night leaving work like this behind.

Edited by Sawdust, August 24, 2016 - 10:39 PM.

• MH81 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#14 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:46 PM

no bolts just twisted around each other,if you pulled hard on them they would come apart

#15 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:57 PM

when i bought the house it had a breaker box in the basement,when I looked it over it had a taped together electric range cord ran thru the wall to the meter,inside the house the range cord was hooked to a 70 amp double breaker and all the other breakers had jumper wires hooked to the 70 amp breaker to make it work,really the way it was hooked up the breaker box was just holding the breakers sort of,some were just hanging there next to the breaker box,I have changed out 80% of the wiring in the house already ,will be 100% asap

• MH81, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks