I installed the starter, rebuilt the carb., new spark plugs, new fuel pump (gas in the oil), emptied the gas tank, installed new fuel lines, and changed the oil and filter. After all of that, I sprayed starting fluid into the carb and she fired right up! She didn't smoke at all and sounded strong. She idles very smoothly and spins up quickly when you give her throttle.
So far, I've spent $130 to get her running. I still need to replace the flexible driveshaft discs because the old ones are in bad shape. That should cost me another $30. I think I have a great $160 tractor! Can't wait to install the mowing deck and snow blower to see how they work.