16 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Making a long story short:

What used to be the family farm is owned by two of my aunts.  The local antique farm tractor club is having a plow day there next month so of course I'll be going home for that!

My mother's boyfriend does a bit of collecting (red only!) and offered me my choice of three tractors and two plows to use.  It occurred to me he might need another plow so I hopped on his local Craigslist to try and help out.

Almost immediately I saw this plow at a very reasonable price.

Plow.jpg

It seemed like it might be a nice implement for my Speedex so I asked them to grab it for me.  I have a sleeve hitch adapter for my Speedex and am hoping to take the tractor with me to try it out on the farm (I don't have any place here to plow).

I've since found out that that is a Simplicity plow and actually came with that piece of hitch hanging from it.  Now I'm concerned that it may not fit on my sleeve hitch.  If it's not going to fit I won't bother taking my tractor with me, I'll just bring the plow home and modify it to fit my hitch.

Do any of you have experience with that plow and know whether I can plop it onto a standard sleeve hitch?  In particular - does it use a 5/8" hitch pin?

Thanks!

Edited by MiCarl, August 23, 2016 - 06:42 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Pretty darn sure it'll work for you fine.  I used to have a couple Simplicity sleeve hitch attachments I used with my Massey MF12 sleeve lift.  The only thing is when lifted it can swing to the side quite a ways, so maybe just add a couple chains for stops if you don't want to modify the hitch of the plow.

• MH81 and MiCarl have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Have never seen one like that, but looks like it would fit a sleeve hitch. But I don't know what the piece on the front is, with the pin going thru it, if it was removed it then may fit on to a sleeve hitch.

Noel

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Have never seen one like that, but looks like it would fit a sleeve hitch. But I don't know what the piece on the front is, with the pin going thru it, if it was removed it then may fit on to a sleeve hitch.

Noel

That front piece is to attach the implement to the tractor.  The chain on top of the plow attaches to the lift bar on the tractor.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:04 PM

The only thing is when lifted it can swing to the side quite a ways, so maybe just add a couple chains for stops if you don't want to modify the hitch of the plow.

Good thought!  For the plow day I'll make sure I have some rope so I can restrain it if necessary.

Long term I may well modify the attachment.  My sleeve hitch draw bar is a 16" long 2x3 rectangular tube with a reinforced hole at the center.  I can envision replacing the yoke with a flat plate that clamps to the draw bar with U-bolts.  That would let me easily adjust it so the plow runs properly positioned to the tire.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:38 PM

The simplicity opening is actually larger than the sleeve hitch. Still 5/8" pin. The simplicity is 4" where as a standard sleeve hitch is 3.5 IIRC. I think it'll still work though.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • MiCarl said thank you

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Please do not modify that plow. Just get an old Simplicity or AC and use it on the correct GT, the way it was designed. Good Luck, Rick 

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:20 AM

I think you're over thinking it.  The piece of concern IS a sleeve hitch...a Simplicity sleeve hitch.  

Pull the pin and it will fall right off.  You won't need it, since you will be mounting the plow to your Speedex sleeve hitch.  The Simplicity sleeve hitch might even fetch you $30 if you list if for sale.

Keep the pin though, as it is longer than a typical Brinly sleeve hitch pin, and as mentioned above, the mouth of that Simplicity plow is taller than what Brinly used.  All that means is it will fit yours with ease.  Whether or not the plow can move side to side is dependent on the sleeve hitch you will be using.  Some have a stop plate that is tightened against the plow to prevent that, but personally, I like them free to move. Helps them avoid snagging obstacles and they follow the tractor nicer.  I'd pull a Simplicity plow over a Brinly any day.  Had several of each.

• MiCarl said thank you

#9 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I think you're over thinking it.  The piece of concern IS a sleeve hitch...a Simplicity sleeve hitch.  

Pull the pin and it will fall right off.  You won't need it, since you will be mounting the plow to your Speedex sleeve hitch.  The Simplicity sleeve hitch might even fetch you $30 if you list if for sale.

Keep the pin though, as it is longer than a typical Brinly sleeve hitch pin, and as mentioned above, the mouth of that Simplicity plow is taller than what Brinly used.  All that means is it will fit yours with ease.  Whether or not the plow can move side to side is dependent on the sleeve hitch you will be using.  Some have a stop plate that is tightened against the plow to prevent that, but personally, I like them free to move. Helps them avoid snagging obstacles and they follow the tractor nicer.  I'd pull a Simplicity plow over a Brinly any day.  Had several of each.

I did realize that was the sleeve hitch.  When I found out it was an "old style" Simplicity hitch I was concerned it might be enough different it wouldn't just hook up.

My sleeve hitch does not have a stop plate on it.  Implements will swing until the yoke makes contact.  The only sleeve hitch implement I had was a Brinly box scraper that has their wide yoke with three holes in it so the box blade won't swing far.

The yoke on that plow looks like it could probably swing about 45 degrees.  That's enough to get up some speed and potentially break things.  It'll definitely be restrained for my trial use.

The mount idea I listed earlier I took from someone that modified a Simplicity plow into a three point.  I realized after I posted that that I probably shouldn't do it, the Speedex 3-point is different than any other I've seen in that the lift arms cannot move side to side.  So bolting a plow to it rigidly probably isn't a good idea.

For the curious - the Speedex 3-point hitch is all one welded wishbone type assembly that pivots below the rear axle.  The arms will not spread or raise/lower independently.  The ends of the lift arms have a U the implement pins drop into similar to a quick hitch.

Here is the tractor end of a Speedex 3-point that tractorholic posted in a previous topic.  Mine is the same except instead of the balance springs there is a clevis welded on to attache to the hydraulic cylinder.

Hitch.jpg

• olcowhand and propane1 have said thanks

#10 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 03:31 PM

That's different.

Noel.

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Now that I'm home I can use my own pictures.  Here is a picture of my disc attached to the tractor.  It's a decent view of the whole Speedex 3-point hitch.  You can just make out the hydraulic cylinder running along the bottom edge of the battery.

PA030110.JPG

This setup is very convenient for hooking heavy implements like the disc because I can raise the hitch up under the pins while the tractor is moving to pull it into place.  It also doesn't move around when applying down force.

The down side is it only works with implements that are 19-20" wide.  Everything else I own has been modified to fit the Speedex hitch.

Edited by MiCarl, August 24, 2016 - 05:45 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I found a Brinly coulter on eBay and had that sent to mom's house.  The Simplicity bracket is too close to the plow for this coulter so I made a forward mount bracket and sent it too.  My total investment is about $115.

Henry put it all together and painted it (I know, the plow isn't supposed to be Farmall red).  Plow day is 9/24 and I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I'll post pictures and video from the event.

For now, some pics of the plow:

plow5.JPG

plow6.JPG

plow7.JPG

Edited by MiCarl, September 16, 2016 - 04:50 PM.

• MH81, Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#13 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 05:02 PM

Now that I'm home I can use my own pictures. Here is a picture of my disc attached to the tractor. It's a decent view of the whole Speedex 3-point hitch. You can just make out the hydraulic cylinder running along the bottom edge of the battery.

attachicon.gifPA030110.JPG

This setup is very convenient for hooking heavy implements like the disc because I can raise the hitch up under the pins while the tractor is moving to pull it into place. It also doesn't move around when applying down force.

The down side is it only works with implements that are 19-20" wide. Everything else I own has been modified to fit the Speedex hitch.

Man...I'd love to snag an anvil like your weight. Nice.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Looks good. Hope you have as much fun as you can handle
  • MiCarl said thank you

#15 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Looks good. I am sure it will work great and you will have fun. How much weight it the anvil, it looks very heavy. I've got a concrete block on my disks.

Noel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simplicity, plow