• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:55 PM

My dad was using his 782 to take hay to the cows this morning when he noticed smoke coming from the transmission followed by a bang and oil being pushed out of the dipstick and the tractor wouldn't move, I am pretty sure the bang was the driveshaft letting loose.  Here are some pics of the aftermath, first two are of the driveshaft/pump area, third is of the dipstick, and the fourth is the back compartment under the seat, any idea what may have happened?

SUNP0007 (2).JPG SUNP0008.JPG SUNP0009.JPG SUNP0010 (3).JPG

• chieffan said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Where did the driveshaft let loose?did it harm the input shaft on the pump?Are you going to put another driveshaft in her and save it?

Drain the fluid and install a GOOD Hydraulic oil filter and take the fenders off and get all that grease and dirt blasted off so it can run cooler.

Might of been just a collapsed filter.Don't ever use a Fram filter or any brand of regular Oil filter for hydraulics.They are to restricted and most times the element inside will constrict and completely stop up.

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 02:00 PM

Where did the driveshaft let loose?did it harm the input shaft on the pump?Are you going to put another driveshaft in her and save it?

Drain the fluid and install a GOOD Hydraulic oil filter and take the fenders off and get all that grease and dirt blasted off so it can run cooler.

Might of been just a collapsed filter.Don't ever use a Fram filter or any brand of regular Oil filter for hydraulics.They are to restricted and most times the element inside will constrict and completely stop up.

The driveshaft broke between the rag joint and where it attaches to the pump, the filter is a filter that is the exact part number and was purchased from the local IH dealer, what would have caused the oil to come out of the dipstick, the oil is HY-Tran, and was changed this spring. My dad is convinced the axle went because of the oil that was pushed out, I'm not so sure.

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:59 PM

I don't know anything about your drive but I wonder if the transmission was failing and started to boil the oil just before it seized up?  Then the shaft broke because the transmission wouldn't turn.

#5 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:25 PM

It looks like the coupler that connects the driveshaft to the pump took a dump.  It's well worth the time and money if the rest of the 782 is in shape.  You'll have to make sure it didn't damage the hyd lines attached to the pump.  I'd replace what needs replaced, top off the hyd fluid, put new filter on if damaged, and fire it up and see whatcha ya got. 

#6 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I don't know anything about your drive but I wonder if the transmission was failing and started to boil the oil just before it seized up?  Then the shaft broke because the transmission wouldn't turn.

The pump still turns without issue.

It looks like the coupler that connects the driveshaft to the pump took a dump.  It's well worth the time and money if the rest of the 782 is in shape.  You'll have to make sure it didn't damage the hyd lines attached to the pump.  I'd replace what needs replaced, top off the hyd fluid, put new filter on if damaged, and fire it up and see whatcha ya got. 

That's exactly where it broke, could also explain the smoke if it slipped or rubbed before it let go. It didn't snap as if it locked up, but broke a chunk out of the side, the lines are damaged, how bad, I don't know.  The only thing that I can't easily explain is the fluid loss.  Gonna retrieve it with the pick up and trailer tomorrow, my next step will be to remove the filter, cut it open and inspect it for metal fragments, I'm not so sure that something locked up, time will tell. 

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 04:30 AM

If the lines got crushed, wouldn't that give a surge in fluid going somewhere.

#8 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:04 AM

If the lines got crushed, wouldn't that give a surge in fluid going somewhere.

I think you're on to something, not going to get to it today, gotta get some hay in before it rains tomorrow.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Talk about carnage in a heartbeat. Sure doesn't take long when the driveshaft starts flopping around. I had that happen to my Ariens. A bunch of mangled parts.

#10 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Talk about carnage in a heartbeat. Sure doesn't take long when the driveshaft starts flopping around. I had that happen to my Ariens. A bunch of mangled parts.

Yeah it made a mess for sure, may end up going to a local shop that is better equipped to deal with it, I already have a lot on my plate.  I had heard of this happening previously, hoped I'd never see it first hand, didn't do much of anything with it today, too busy with other stuff.

• shorty said thank you

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Picked the tractor up today, works good, ended up being a complete drive shaft transplant from a parts machine.

• olcowhand and CRFarnsworth have said thanks