• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kk4poo OFFLINE  

Kk4poo
  • Member No: 84381
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Im looking for ideas on building a clutch off a modifyed vtwin 24hp briggs to a gearbox.
Ive built a 10 speed gearbox. Excessive yes but ive made the ratios to shift down when pulling hard 1 tooth gain at a time.
The input has a 1 inch shaft with 2 keyways milled and a heavy hitch pin.
Im trying to come up with ideas for the clutch system to it. Some of the old craftsman had a eletric belt clutch for the blades and a triangular plate to bolt in. Just to give you a idea of what jm dealing with here. I would like to run a shaft from engjne to gear box and remove any belts. I would snap 2 to 3 belts and have a hell of a time with slipping. Even with a double and tripple clutch belt setup
Any ideas on this. Best ive got is in some atvs they have a throw out clutch and bering for 4wd but i dont know if i could use one of them or if it would just jerk into gear very hard.
2nd modify a plate/flywheel to fit a 1 in shaft off engine (honda or something small) to splined trans input shaft and make a cv axle kind of build from clutch to gear box in put. Its got a 3 ft gap between.
Centrifugal clutch.... They slip easy ive found
Any other ideas would be AWESOME.

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 11:57 AM

The MH Pony 14 had a mechanical clutch (like a car) but it also had a hydraulic locker that put additional pressure on the plate during heavy pulling.
You won't find one anywhere, but the concept may be useful
  • propane1 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. Several of my old Wisconsin engines were used on equipment and have a bell housing/clutch(PTO) setup on them. Maybe you can find one on an old conveyor or concrete mixer. We would like to see pics of what you are doing. Good Luck, Rick

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:46 PM

I have been out of this for awhile and have not kept up with the rules. Are you wanting to use the gearbox for a "quick change rearend" or actually down shifting during the pull?

If you plan on shifting during the pull..1. that may not be legal, check you local pulling club rules.. and 2. you will lose momentum by shifting even if you do it real quick.. 2a. dumping the clutch mid pull will stress the hell out of everything in the drive train, not just the clutch

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 1,096 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM

Im looking for ideas on building a clutch off a modifyed vtwin 24hp briggs to a gearbox.
Ive built a 10 speed gearbox. Excessive yes but ive made the ratios to shift down when pulling hard 1 tooth gain at a time.
The input has a 1 inch shaft with 2 keyways milled and a heavy hitch pin.
Im trying to come up with ideas for the clutch system to it. Some of the old craftsman had a eletric belt clutch for the blades and a triangular plate to bolt in. Just to give you a idea of what jm dealing with here. I would like to run a shaft from engjne to gear box and remove any belts. I would snap 2 to 3 belts and have a hell of a time with slipping. Even with a double and tripple clutch belt setup
Any ideas on this. Best ive got is in some atvs they have a throw out clutch and bering for 4wd but i dont know if i could use one of them or if it would just jerk into gear very hard.
2nd modify a plate/flywheel to fit a 1 in shaft off engine (honda or something small) to splined trans input shaft and make a cv axle kind of build from clutch to gear box in put. Its got a 3 ft gap between.
Centrifugal clutch.... They slip easy ive found
Any other ideas would be AWESOME.

Modified cub clutches are a dry type, do work well, and parts are plentiful. Maybe take a look at kirk engines website.

While I agree belts are not the best way to go, Id have to dissagree with being able to snap 2, much less 3 belts with a V twin. Chances are there going to slip, and burn before snapping, unless you use FHP belts.:)

Edited by stiemmy, August 23, 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Use a cub clutch set up from Zack Kerner or Midwest Super Cuba. Get the entire assembly.
If your Trans input shafts doesn't align with the engine output shafts perfectly then fix it so it does and this type clutch should work the best.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:23 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 11:59 PM

You may want to get a set of rules before you advance any farther. Most clubs, if not all of them require it to be a garden tractor type rear end. Only ones to get away with it would be the motorcycle type pullers. Any more info on this? Frame? what brand of tractor are you using? Do you plan on pulling or making it just a tinker toy? 

#9 DaveBb OFFLINE  

DaveBb
  • Member No: 62819
  • 375 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 07:48 PM

welcome to GTT.  In our pull tractors we use dry disk type clutch sometimes multiple disk depending on power. They are reliable and are built to take a beating. I have been using a double 5 puck clutch setup from Zach Kerber. They don't give them away that is the down side they can be costly. If your building a puller you need to check your local rules most clubs you need a garden tractor trany or sometimes they let you run in outlaw class. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 86.JPG

• Dieselcubmike said thank you