Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,061 Thanks
  • 3,881 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hmmm, I might pay a visit to the local air field here.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#47 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,328 Thanks
  • 3,632 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I don't know If I should say any thing on this tread, but, this is only my opinion, it may make sense or it may not . High test fuel will reduce pinging or what ever you want to call it, in any gas engine which has high compression, extra heat from load, or timing advanced to much. High test is harder to ignite than low test fuel. Will it affect winter starting?
So, how much high test fuel do you realy get when you go to the gas station. Most users put low test in their tanks. When you want high test, this is in my area, don't know about yours, you push the button for high test and start pumping, but how long dose it take before your getting pure high test and not a mixture of low test, high test. Has to switch some where in the piping system to change it from one to the other, so if your only filling a 5 litre jug, which would be about 2 us gallons, how much of it is high test after it pushes all the low test out of the piping, pump and hose. Just wondering.
Put high test in my ranger today. Tank was empty. Really helped with pinging problem I've been having while going up hills, with or without trailer on.

Noel.
  • MH81 said thank you

#48 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,328 Thanks
  • 3,632 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:48 PM

So what is avgas ? Used for airplanes ? So it won't freeze in high altitudes ? What would be the octane rating ? Again, just wondering.

Noel

#49 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 83309
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 08:58 PM

For the record, I used to use pump gas with 10% E. I was constantly fighting carb and fuel pump issues if I let them sit for a few weeks. I started adding "Seafoam" and the problems went basically away. One day I stopped at the local air field and found avgas was almost as cheap as my "Treated gas", so now I only use Avgas in everything and wow what a difference it makes. No issues at all no matter if the engine sits 6 months. And My Kohler's run better and I feel like they run stronger also, I also love the smell of the exhaust on Avgas.

That really sounds pretty good about the Avgas!  YES! I do like the smell of the exhaust also, but how do we obtain it? I couldn't imagine just pulling into an airport FBO and filling up my gas cans.

#50 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,750 Thanks
  • 9,400 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 09:08 PM

AvGas is aviation fuel for small airplanes with gas (usually radial piston?) engines. There are 3 grades. 100 octane, 100LL, and the new-ish 82U. The first one is exactly what you think it is, the LL of the second one means low lead content, and 82U is 82 octane unleaded fuel.
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and propane1 have said thanks

#51 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,484 Thanks
  • 15,395 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 09:47 PM

That really sounds pretty good about the Avgas! YES! I do like the smell of the exhaust also, but how do we obtain it? I couldn't imagine just pulling into an airport FBO and filling up my gas cans.

We have a small grass field here and 3 of the 12 hangers with businesses have Aviation Fuel that they sell to others and also use for their own use. I stopped by one of them and asked if they could sell me 5ga. and they said yes, so that's where I get mine from. It's the regular 100 Octane Aviation Gasoline.
  • shorty and flyboy have said thanks

#52 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 627 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:05 AM

Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell pure, ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!

If you buy ethanol-free gas, and your station isn't listed here, please add it now!

http://www.pure-gas.org/

• flyboy said thank you

#53 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 627 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:34 AM

You folks got me into research mode...  Ethanol attracts water. It also "phase separates" from gas when sitting unagitated. The ethanol/water mix sits on the bottom of the tank. When we warm up our engines we can be burning up to 95% of this non-gas mix.  That is as bad, or worse, than the effects of ethanol on soft parts. Additives do nothing to nullify the alcohol/water damage.

Using the site in my previous post, I found 4 stations in my area that sell 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. Current pump price is $3.39, which is cheaper than the $3.99 at the marina or $5.05 at the airport. I will be using it from here on out.

Paul

#54 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 627 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Through no fault of the OP, this thread got a bit off topic. I have started a new one on the main forum--

http://gardentractor...ol-in-gasoline/

Paul

• MH81 said thank you