• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:36 AM

I noticed that there is a baffle ..I`m guessing..... inside the tank. I`m guessing it is to slow the movement of the gas  while operating of a hillside. I was checking the inside of the tank to see if the electro tank had gotten the little bit of rust out when I saw the baffle....seem to be close to one of the seams where the 3pc tank it solder together. I put a chain in it to scrape anything left in it after the first soak in the tank but didn`t notice the baffle then. I guess since the chain didn`t get under the baffle to get to walls on that end of the tank I need to go ahead and do the sealer thing. It would be nice to see an engineering drawing of how the baffle is made in the tank so I would know how to roll it around to make sure the sealer gets on everything. I`m guessing it would have a gap at the top of the baffle and a smaller one at the bottom....But I`ve guessed wrong before...

Any help would be appreciated !

#2 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hey there, pics would certainly help us here to see what your dealing with, and probably the most important info needed is, what's it for?

#3 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:20 PM

those baffles slowed me down also when trying to get old sediment out

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:24 PM

1974 PK 2414...hard to take a pic of the inside of a gas tank

#5 todapuckett ONLINE  

todapuckett
  • Member No: 83303
  • 10 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 10:08 PM

On my '76 PK 2414 (metal oval tank) the baffle is solid top to bottom with 2 small holes (imagine punching an oil can with a #2 phillips head) about 1/3 down from the top and a 3rd hole in the middle at the bottom.  All three have a "guard" to keep trash out of the chamber.  I am really surprised how small the holes are, but I guess they are bigger than the fuel line coming out of the drain.

I would recommend pulling the petcock and filter and pumping sealant into the chamber that way.  I don't think you will ever get it to coat through the baffle holes.

#6 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 05:24 AM

Thanks guys....what I can see of the inside looks pretty good. I`m gonna try it and see what I get in the new clear plastic filter