Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What batteries/ignition is in a Standard Walsh ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:39 AM

Next week I'll be picking up my grandfather's Standard Walsh walkbehind tractor . It uses some type of dry cell batteries and I guess a " buzz box " ignition . If someone could explain it and if they know what batteries to get that would be great . Thanks Al

http://gardentractor...-tractor/page-1

• chieffan said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Originally they used 4-1 1/2v round dry cells for a total of 6v. The buzz box isn't real fussy and will be OK on 6 or 12v. The square 6v lantern batteries will work but they don't hold up real long. If you could find a small rechargeable battery that fit the box would probably serve you best. Maybe you could make an adapter for a cordless drill battery.

• Gtractor, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Mine had a 6v lantern battery in it , Doug could explain why since there using a battery they just didn't use a automotive coil and condenser ?   

Originally they used 4-1 1/2v round dry cells for a total of 6v. The buzz box isn't real fussy and will be OK on 6 or 12v. The square 6v lantern batteries will work but they don't hold up real long. If you could find a small rechargeable battery that fit the box would probably serve you best. Maybe you could make an adapter for a cordless drill battery.

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Not sure I'd have a true positive answer for that, Al. A lot of what they did revolved around cost but I'm not sure how that would compare here. Another thought would be that if the box buzzed the owner would know they probably had spark and if it didn't buzz they knew they had a problem with dead/low batteries or connections.

• Alc said thank you

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:20 AM

How about using a 6V gel battery like used in kids ride-on toys?  They hold and charge very well time after time.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:33 AM

I have to look at the battery tender we have for my wife's motorcycle , it might be for 6 or 12 volts type.  For the little bit of reading I did some batteries need special chargers .  I wonder if a regular 12v sealed lead acid battery used with a ballast resister would be better then  don't have to get a new charger if the one I have won't charge 6 volts ?

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Al, size will dictate what you can use in there. From my experience, the small ATV lead acid batteries don't last long with a strong charger. The battery maintainer might work OK with them. The reason I suggested using a cordless drill battery was because you would already have the batteries and the charger and wouldn't need to invest in a proprietary battery for something that will only get ran once in a while. Some batteries are easy to use alligator clips on and some aren't. If you're up around 18v a resistor would be good but 6-12 really shouldn't hurt the coil. The model T mag was unregulated and could vary from 4-20+v depending on engine speed so the coils were built to take it.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 05:36 AM

Doug would a small motorcycle battery this size work ?  This is what's in my wife's Honda 250 Rebel  ,  I could get a replacement for hers and put the old one in the tractor and swap the tender between the two .

http://www.batterysh...CFYEZgQodb-gNIg

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 06:50 AM

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work as long as it fits. The only thing I would question is the continuous duty in the tractor vs the short use time in the bike. For that kind of money, you wouldn't be out much to try it. Besides, having a new battery for her bike could help keep her happy and you might need another tractor diagnosed.  :poke:   :wave:

• Alc said thank you