19 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 03:51 PM

I have the oppurtunity to buy an MF12 from a coworker and was curious if there any things I need to be aware of on these models to watch out for that may be either hard to come across or expensive to replace if needed. The guy just recently bought it and an MF7 and is wanting to sell them and I am intrigued by the 12 and thought it might be a neat little addition to my fleet. It is a hydro I believe, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help.

#2 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Do you know the serial number? That way we can look up the year of it. I have a 1971 MG12H and a 1972 MF7G (G stands for gear drive) The 12H is a pretty hardy machine. As with all old collectable GT's there are going to be some parts that are harder to find than others. However, every one here at GTTalk is very helpful when it comes to finding parts at the best possible price. So I would say that if the price is right and the tractor comes with any attachments to go for it. I don't think that you will be dissapointed. :D

Ross

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 01:31 AM

Possibly one of the harder items is the ign system. If it's a runner, that's a good thing (or at least has spark). There are ways around this problem tho, so use it as a negotiation tool for a cheaper price if no spark. A used piece went on eBay for 175 a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of guys that have done a conversion to a different system for around $100.

The Hydros seem to be very hardy, but if anything is wrong, you may be looking for parts... So it goes with any 40 yr old pc of equipment that isn't OEM supported much anymore.

What is the condition & asking price? Are there any attachments? Do you have any pics?

Good luck. And BTW, if the 7 is a strong runner, they make great trimmer mowers, very tight turn radius.

#4 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I stopped today and got some pics and wrote down the serial numbers on them. The number for the 12 is 1446509943. The number on the 7 is 1590241177. I can get the 12 for $100 which is what he paid for it. He bought it as a non runner and hasnt done anything with it. He has however used the 7 and it works good with the exception that the belt broke on it when he used it last and he hasnt had a chance to replace it yet. That one can be had for $125 but I have no interest in it as I am interested in a garden tractor. If anyone else is interested I can hook you up with him if you like.

Here are the pics.
100_1368 (Small).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1372 (Small).jpg
  • 100_1369 (Small).jpg
  • 100_1373 (Small).jpg
  • 100_1371 (Small).jpg
  • 100_1370 (Small).jpg

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:20 PM

At those prices I would be grabbing them both....You could likely turn around and sell the 7 and pay for both.....They look in good shape

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:37 PM

They do look in good shape don't they.

#7 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Going by the serial numbers they are both 1969 tractors. Heck for $225.00 I would snag em' both. They both look to be in good condition. Mower decks are worth about $175.00 if they are in good shape with no holes. If the engine will turn by hand on the 12 you can get her running. Even if you had to re-power the 12 she's well worth what your friend is asking. (Just my opinion.VBG!)

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 08:45 PM

I would jump right onto that 12 myself! You can check for spark, but that is not a kill deal at that cost, as mentioned you can convert it to an auto ignition for as little as about $40 to about $125 depending on where you source your parts. It will take a little work, but rewarding and pretty easy really. Other than a poor looking muffler, it appears very solid! Look at the nose trim ring, it seems solid as well, and under the dash where it mounts to the tractor. These are high crack areas, but can be worked with.

I vote to jump on the hydro, and grab the 7 if the funds are there to play with, as they are fun little tractors and could be used while you work on the 12. It sure has a VERY clean looking hood and nose!

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:01 PM

I don't think you'll regret it in the long run, if you grab them, and fix em up.

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:02 PM

For the cost of them you can easily get your money back without doing any thing. The 12Hydro is nice easy to drive tractor and thee 7 is in good shape and it runs.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Those look nice. I hope you get both!

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:13 PM

The nose ring on the 12 is broke. That was one of the first things I looked at on it. It looks like someone tried welding it but it is a crude job. The 12 is definitaly coming home. Havent told the Mrs. yet about it though as moneys a little tight at the moment and I may have commited to another Cub Cadet as well, but that one is getting parted and will pay for itself hand over fist. I just dont need the 7, or the 12 really for that matter as between dad and I we have too many Cub Cadets and big farm tractors now, but I have always been a fan of the styling of that era of BIG Massey tractors and this is the same style for a lot less price. I may not even work on it right now, but want to get it home. Things that I see that are missing and would need if I plan to make it an original restoration in the future would be the belt guard for the mower deck and the muffler and its fancy shroud. The muffler may just become a vertical exhaust like my 100 though. The deck is pitted pretty hard and the left front attachment point has had repair work done on the deck, (patch metal welded onto it). After following a massey at plowday and seeing how well it plowed I may even decide to put a sleeve hitch on it as well. We'll see what happens as time goes by but for now I just wanna get it home.

#13 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:30 PM

I think you will be kicking yourself if you pass up the 7 parted or complete it should pay for both if you put it up for sale. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to old iron. Think about it before passing.
Good luck

#14 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:51 AM

Just a thought here... the nose ring is the same on both tractors, and bring close to $100 used. Some minor clean up after swapping nose rings would probably break even, or even flip a profit on the MF7 this time of the year. Kind of a win-win deal, once all this rain stops, people will be looking hard for good mowers.

If it were me, I would buy the 7, give it a really good wash. Then buff out and wax the red parts. Buy a can of bright silver wheel paint and repaint the wheels and the grille (leave the mesh black). All these cheap, and easy things will make it look tons better. Swap the nose rings, and place it for sale @ $225.00, lower it if needed, but not below $175.00 and you not only could make enough to finance the ignition conversion, but the savings of $100 on replacing the nose trim.

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Turning a profit is a good thing, but having the funds to be able to get them is another. When I say that funds are tight at the moment I mean REAL TIGHT. Like using every last thing in the fridge till you absolutely have to get groceries tight. Just one of them months when there seem to be all the bills due at once kinda things. I have been thinking of things i have at the moment to sell to get some quick funds for the cub as well as the massey. I have first dibs on them if I want them and they are not going anywhere at the moment so I'm not too worried. Just a little anxious to get them home and mess with them.