• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 11:08 PM

I have a Peerless 2315A 4-speed manual transmission that has a couple of quirky things; only 3rd and 4th gear seems to be available when I use the shift lever. When I move the shift lever into the area where 1st, 2nd and reverse should be; the shift lever is loosey-goosey; like no contact is being made at the end of the shift lever. When I first got the tractor, the throwout bearing was a basket case, and the seller put it into 4th gear; hit the starter and it took off. (yes,  I know that is a no-no). I did pull and replace the drive disc and throwout bearing in the clutch assembly. My gut feel is to drop the tranny and open it up. I do not believe that I can make any headway by just removing the shift lever, but what do I know?  I realize that the 2315A was used across brand; so I thought I would ask a 2315A question; but my tractor is a MTD-141-960. Thanks.

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Wonder if possibly the roll pin is sheared in the shifter? If it were engaging the shift fork you should at least feet some resistance from the detent balls. Hopefully someone will chime in here with some first hand experience.

• ktznz said thank you

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 12:01 AM

Found some pics of a mtd 960 stripped down and I looked under mine. Appears there is only four (4) bolts  at the axles holding the tranny to the frame. Also the hole around the shift lever is bigger than stock; so something must have happened before. I shall make a place for it so that it can be placed on jack stands and I can drop the tranny.