3 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:02 PM

Fired up the H14 today for the first time.  Fired right off and ran great, even idles but a bit to slow.   Had the rear end on jack stands so tried the hydro.  Forward worked fine.  Reverse was real slow.  Did not have it full throttle but think it should run faster in comparison to the forward speed.  Service manual I have does not say anything about adjusting the hydro.  Neutral seems to be OK.  Is there an adjustment for reverse or was it because I was not full throttle?

Another question, how does the fan anchor to the drive shaft?  Parts does not show anything but a set screw that holds the drive shaft to the hydro input shaft.  Fan has two holes in it but no matching holes in the collar on the drive shaft.  Holes in the fan are not threaded either.  Is the set screw that hold the drive shaft to the input shaft supposed to be a long one through the fan collar?

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

Edited by chieffan, August 22, 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Most hydros limit the speed in reverse, not the same as forward. My newer Deere is real slow backing up, and my Speedex's are slower too. ON that fan...I have a QT16, maybe similar?  the u-joint going onto the rear gear case is splined and NOT pinned or set-screw tightened. LOOKS like a set screw for it, but that is really just threaded into the U-joint collar and bottoms out and sticks up and the fan has hole in the plastic hub that the set-screw kinda sticks out of. It is not really tight at all, just kinda held so-so by that set screw.  The end of the U-joint tho, IS machined to match the fan size, not tight, but close. It is not just rough casting then. I suppose one could put in a small bolt thru fan to make more secure, but maybe shouldn't for whatever reason?  Sorry, not a Bolen's guy, just learning on some of ones I picked up too this summer.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 08:23 PM

QT is a different bread of cats than the XL.  The drive shaft does not have U-joints and it is keyed to the input shaft.  No hole to put a bolt through and would have to go through the drive shaft and input shaft.  I know that reverse is not near as fast as forward but this one is very slow.  Will see how it does when I get the oil changed and going better.

Edited by chieffan, August 22, 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#4 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 08:48 PM

One piece drive shaft with disks rather than u-joints? I believe those pin to the engine, but only slip onto key way at hydro-- just like the one piece shafts with joints at each end. Allows it to move in and out as engine moves in its cradle. Set screw would then be there to keep fan on shaft. Maybe? I know my fans on others are not rigidly mounted. They have play in them, but spin nicely with shaft.  Paul

• chieffan said thank you