• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:42 AM

I`ve never seen in person a new or close to new condition PK....not many down here. I`ve noticed in a lot of pics I see though that a lot of the PK look like they sit cockeyed in one direction or the other. I guess the hood is what gives you a clue that something some where may be a little bent.. Having been a Pipefitter/welder/ plumber/ homebuilder etc....Things need to be plumb and square ,symmetrical in my mind or it drives me crazy !!!!!!

I noticed when I started tearing this thing apart that that lower pc of sheet metal (pc that has the grill) that ties to the frame in front and attaches to the dash in the back has the small sheet metal angles and they appeared to be slightly bent up near the dash . I wasn`t sure if it was supposed to be that way or they had just gotten bent from use or somebody sitting on the hood or what. The bends aren`t  exactly the same in the vertical plane or even sideways. I found a small piece of angle iron at HD and am planning on adding to the bottom of the factory thin sheet angle to give it some strength and hold it straight. I know the holes are slotted and it would probably tilt the grill forward a little bit ...but that seems to be a weak spot in the design. Anybody know for sure if that is supposed to be straight...It doesn`t seem to have a kink point but is quite a bit of bend over the length of it....at least a half an inch out of straight over about the 12 inches or so of the sheet metal.

????

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Here is the only picture I have of a nos 1984 PK 2414. It was taken at the Portland swap meet in 2011. The family who had the tractor uncovered it at their dad's dealership, who had suddenly shut the shop down in 1985ish. They were not aware of this tractor until the passed in 2010 and they started going through things in the barn. It had been covered up all those years. At the auction in 2012, it was bought by Mission Mfg for close to $6000 and they resold it sometime later.

PK NOS 8-2-11.jpg

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 12:53 PM

If your asking about the slight bend out near the slotted holes that is there for the hood hold down latches to hook onto, there is nothing to worry about on the grill frame or the slotted holes, the weak area maybe be the lower forward mount tab that the grill and the front bumper attaches to, and they are just fine as long as the bumper doesn't get whacked or you hang a large wt on the bumper.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:50 AM

I`m talking about the piece from the front grill that ties in to the pc you`re talking about. It bolts to the dash right there where the hood latches. That thin sheet metal angle that goes to the front grill pc that appears to be bent somewhat on mine. I`ll see if I can get a pic up later.

Thanks for pic of the virgin PK

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:37 AM

pics with the new angle clamped in to the front of the grill section that has sheet metal that keeps it nice and straight. Then the pic that shows the gape between the straight angle and original angle and how much difference there is ....Then I went ahead and pulled it down to match the straight new angle ???? I don`t know if the factory had the bend up for a reason or it has just been bent over the years.  I know the piece is in the wrong place being on the outside of the dash but I`m just trying to show it relative to the dash mounting location. The dash is not bolted in place yet...just sitting close to its final location.

Click on the pics to enlarge for a better look !

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160823_090930.jpg
  • 20160823_090945.jpg
  • 20160823_091003.jpg
  • 20160823_091119_001.jpg
  • 20160823_091136.jpg
  • 20160823_091225.jpg
  • 20160823_091401.jpg
  • 20160823_091408_001.jpg

Edited by SNUFFY, August 23, 2016 - 08:39 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 09:12 AM

imo, I think you are right in thinking they should be straight. Most of the time the tractors have run into/bumper into or just bent from handling/storing the front grill pcs. I've got a  '75 2414 apart now and know that the angles you are talking about are not straight. I will try to straighten them as best I can when I put it back together.

Chuck

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:45 PM

I`m gonna go ahead and mount up the dash and see what it looks like with the piece pulled straight with clamps and bolted to the dash. I know when I test fit it with dash bolted up and the bend that is there ..... that the cradle the gas tank sits in was almost touching the sheet metal on the the engine....like 1/16-1/8 inch clearance. I think I can cut it just short of the dash so as not to interfere with the bolt up !!

I`ll let you know how it works out  .....