Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd 110 shifter broke for the second time?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:21 PM

This spring the shifter broke on my 72 john deere 110,I happened to have a spare trans so I just swapped out the shifter,the one that broke was very rusty and honestly looked like it failed because it rusted in half,I cleaned (washes out with deisel fuel)the trans refilled the trans and installed the new shifter,,,Well now it broke again,,looks like a clean break.The trans has always shifted good,no tight spots ,all pretty smooth,so I am kinda at a loss,,,,,It broke under the shifter ball so I ground a groove around the shaft and welded it back together ,ground out and polished the ball and shaft .It came out pretty well and it works well in the tractor,but how long who knows,any Ideas???

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like you did the repair right.  Sometimes a good repair will last longer then the original.  Hope it hold for you.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Maybe the guy that's getting on/off the tractor isn't as agile as he used to be and is kicking the shifter unintentionally? 

:poke:

Ask me how I know all about that. :(

• KennyP and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#4 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Maybe the guy that's getting on/off the tractor isn't as agile as he used to be and is kicking the shifter unintentionally? 

:poke:

Ask me how I know all about that. :(

well I would agree with ya there,I could see doing it getting on but not off,I have a bad habit when I get off the tractor,,,I lean back and swing my leg up and over the steering wheel,,,well I can tell you from experience how it feels when both of those big seat springs break at the same time and you go over backwards and land upside down on your head on the concrete at the gas station in front of half the town(Of course no one laughed out loud) sure they didnt!!

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Dang! Reed.  I missed that one.  Could you do it again and have someone film it?  :rolling:

#6 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 04:52 AM

Dang! Reed.  I missed that one.  Could you do it again and have someone film it?  :rolling:

I would prefer not to ,,it was kinda hard on my head,,,,and I really try to keep embarassing stuff under wraps!

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 04:41 PM

well I would agree with ya there,I could see doing it getting on but not off,I have a bad habit when I get off the tractor,,,I lean back and swing my leg up and over the steering wheel,,,well I can tell you from experience how it feels when both of those big seat springs break at the same time and you go over backwards and land upside down on your head on the concrete at the gas station in front of half the town(Of course no one laughed out loud) sure they didnt!!

:watch_over_fence: